Show Off Your Server Rack

mediacowboy

CharleyVarrick

@@mediacowboy,

btw, how are you able to change a thread's title like you did here?

Öh, and thanks

Lots of server pics/description we haven't seen yet, from some of the big guys, Come On ! You know who you are

Happy2Play

@@mediacowboy,

btw, how are you able to change a thread's title like you did here?

Öh, and thanks

Lots of server pics/description we haven't seen yet, from some of the big guys, Come On ! You know who you are

Topic starters and staff can change topics titles.

• Like 1

CBers

Staff? Emby has employees?

MSattler

So, I started with a TrippLite Open rack, and hated it.  So I worked on closing off the sides and the top.  Just need to carpet the top still.

Also added a R610 Dell Server since it's so nice and quiet.

Oh yeah and the QNAP TS-1635, which now holds all of the iSCSI storage for my 2 ESXi servers.

Front Gear:

Dell XPS 8900 - i7-6700 Emby Server with Intel GPU Transcoding

QNAP TS-1635 for VMWare Cluster Storage, connected with dual 10Gbe

Quanta LB6M 10GB Switch

Dell R610 - Dual Hexcore Xeon X5650, 64GB Ram running ESXi

Tower 1 Unraid Server 

Tower 2 Unraid Server

590b76a464bc1_ScreenShot20170504at24345P

590b76b248b90_ScreenShot20170504at24403P

Rear Gear:

Cisco SG300-8P (Powering Ubiquiti AP's)

Cisco SG200-26P

Ubiquiti USG Router

590b76c2c7d4e_ScreenShot20170504at24416P

Not Shown:

2 CyberPower 1500 UPS

1 CyberPowr 900 UPS

1 Desktop i7-4770 ESXi host, connected via 10Gb Fiber

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

@@Happy2Play

HI Happy

I do have a topic I started which might benefit a title change, as while original issue's rbeen resolved, something else came up that's not getting much attention, and which is totally unrelated (I know, I should have started a different one)

I do not see any way I can change the title, can you give me a pointer?

Edited by jlr19

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play

HI Happy

I do have a topic I started which might benefit a title change, as while original issue's rbeen resolved, something else came up that's not getting much attention, and which is totally unrelated (I know, I should have started a different one)

I do not see any way I can change the title, can you give me a pointer?

I believe you just select edit on the first post.

**Edit - Edit First topic and then select Use Full Editor.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick

I believe you just select edit on the first post.

**Edit - Edit First topic and then select Use Full Editor.

Thanks! Exactly.

mediacowboy

This is funny change the name to network closet and this forum drops. Change the name back to Server Rack and it is popular again.

• Like 2

CBers

This is funny change the name to network closet and this forum drops. Change the name back to Server Rack and it is popular again.

Everyone likes looking at nice racks ;)

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

We all want to come out of the closet....for some nice racks :D

• Like 1

colejack

I've got a pair of EVO 850 drives for my stablebit pool. I get about 400 MB/s, but on a large transfer after a while it drops to about 250 MB/s. I'm starting to look for a drive that can sustain high transfer speeds.

Look for a used Intel S3700 SSD on ebay. That will keep up with your sustained writes. That's what it was designed for. You should be able to get a 200GB model for ~$150 or so.

Guest asrequested

Look for a used Intel S3700 SSD on ebay. That will keep up with your sustained writes. That's what it was designed for. You should be able to get a 200GB model for ~$150 or so.

Nice! Thanks. I just took a quick look at them. They will do, nicely! :)

MSattler

From a usage perspective are used SSD's less problematic than spinning disks?   I'm thinking it really depends on the number of writes the disk has had so far, right?

colejack

From a usage perspective are used SSD's less problematic than spinning disks?   I'm thinking it really depends on the number of writes the disk has had so far, right?

Yes, especially used enterprise SSD's. It would take massive amounts of data to kill a S3700.

MSattler

Yes, especially used enterprise SSD's. It would take massive amounts of data to kill a S3700.

Hmm maybe I'll pick up a couple to do Raid 1 SSD Caching for my QNAP TS-1635.  Using a couple of crucial SSD's right now.

PenkethBoy

I have real time duplication on mine, that probably has something to do with it. But they still can't sustain that rate with a large transfer.

What i find with real time duplication and the ssd cache is similar - i.e. you get the max speed of the disk initially ( i.e. the speed of the slowest of the two disks sending or recieving) and then it drops back to approx half speed on average for rest of the transfer

the point it starts to slow down is when the memory cache on the DP machine begins to fill up - as the data is flushed to disk the speed increases again until the cache fills up again - and repeat

so fast initially then up and down in speed

this is for copies of over ~ 16GB in size

anything less then that goes straight into the disk cache and is written to disk later

this is with win10 to 2012R2

So it may not be the ssd disks that are the limiting factor after the initial burst

Guest asrequested

What i find with real time duplication and the ssd cache is similar - i.e. you get the max speed of the disk initially ( i.e. the speed of the slowest of the two disks sending or recieving) and then it drops back to approx half speed on average for rest of the transfer

the point it starts to slow down is when the memory cache on the DP machine begins to fill up - as the data is flushed to disk the speed increases again until the cache fills up again - and repeat

so fast initially then up and down in speed

this is for copies of over ~ 16GB in size

anything less then that goes straight into the disk cache and is written to disk later

this is with win10 to 2012R2

So it may not be the ssd disks that are the limiting factor after the initial burst

I get the same thing with SSDs not in the pool

590e44e637ade_Snapshot_89.jpg

PenkethBoy

If it is the disk memory cache size then that would be consistent

• 2 weeks later...
Dizzy49

591f726589f68_IMG_20170514_022434.jpg

Top to Bottom:

48 Port Keystone Patch Panel

Netgear GS724T

Netgear JGS524 (soon to be replaced with another GS724T)

SurgeX XU115 UPS

2x Cyberpower PDU20M2F10R (Each connected to it's own dedicated 20amp circuit)

Norco 4224 (from this build page)

Once my "theater" is finished I will move the PS4 and Marantz to the rack as well.

Here is an old shot behind the server.  I have doubled the number of cat6 cables running through there now:

591f748f0ff54_IMG_20170401_172725.jpg

• Like 4

Dizzy49

That's one neat looking setup!

How do you access it?

What do you mean?

The rack sits at the end of a hallway in the basement.  This is a very old house, and it has a "cold storage" room, which I repurposed into the server room.  There is a door to the server room from the laundry room.

Actually sitting on top of the rack in the server room itself is the cable modem, and Google Wifi.  There are 2 cat6 drops in every room in the house now, with a few extra in the kids play room, and the "theater" room.