Show Off Your Server Rack

mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

The drive bays are hot swap. So you just attach the drives to the trays and slide them in. The backplanes have SAS connectors, so you will need SAS cards. The LSI cards I linked to are 8 port SAS cards, but they support more drives. To connect all backplanes you'll need either a SAS expander card or another card that will have enough ports for all the drives. Make sure your PSU can support all your hardware.

Edited by Doofus

CharleyVarrick

I always read that mechanical drives don't suck that much power out of psu, but of course, multiplied by 24, must be another story.

I have a decent brick and mortar small computer shop not to far from here. I'll bring him a link to the rpc-4224 (which I am sure he has not sold one last week... :D ), and ask him to build around it, then when I have a written quote, I'll post back here to get your approval. I will also double-check all component prices against  best internet deals at the moment.

Thanks again!

PS: I read a few reviews about Norco RPC's and noticed a few complaints about doa's (as in Damaged on arrival) and also about crappy stock chassis fan. Do you have any opinion about that?

Edited by jlr19

Guest asrequested

Make sure he doesn't design for a RAID configuration. You want IT mode HBA cards. Your drives are singular and not part of an array. Oh wait, they are, right? Not in RAID, correct?

CharleyVarrick

No, no Raid involved, I can't afford two 4224 plus 48x 6tb hard drives.

I do favor bit for bit copy on 2 physical drives. I can live with the odds that both drive "F" and "Fcopy" fails at once.  

EDIT: Come to think of it, I can't afford 24x 6tb drives as well, even though I have a head start with 12 already (10 in use, 2 spares)

That's the beauty of this monster computer: expandability

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

I feel I've hijacked mediacowboy's fine thread, sorry that was not intended, I really wish others would continue to post about their respective setup...

Guest asrequested

If you start at the beginning of show off your rig, and go page by page, you'll see more rack setups. Some of them make mine look feeble lol

CharleyVarrick

LOL

build the most badass system in the 4th quadrant and someone will invariably come up with a badass-er setup

That doesn't mean your system is not hot, it just mean you might have a car and house to pay as well as a few other thing, as life always gets in the way. Notice there's no "show us your weekly groceries shopping bag's content" thread here, not sexy one bit!

For this thread, I call on @@Happy2Play (and everyone else) to get them camera's out

Edited by jlr19

CBers

Just start with the drives you have. Get Stablebit Drive Pool, and then you can just drives as you need them.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool

If drivepool is to much. You can also check out drive bender.

https://www.division-m.com/drivebender/

Nothing against Drivepool, but +1 for DriveBender, as I've been using it for years :)

Happy2Play

Nothing against Drivepool, but +1 for DriveBender, as I've been using it for years :)

Of course as a moderator for them also you have to support them. :ph34r:

• Like 1

JeremyFr79

58fd323193f60_r1.jpg58fd323aadbf9_r2.jpg58fd3247f21d3_r3.jpg

Top to bottom - 

Cisco Docsis 3.0 Gateway - Xfinity 175/20

PFSense Box - Q9400, 4GB DDR3, 60GB SSD - Router/Firewall

Cisco WS-C2960S-48LPS-L Switch - 48Port Gigabit POE+

TV Headend - Norco RPC-230, AMD A8-7650K, 16GB DDR3, 60GB SSD, 3TB HDD, 2 Ceton Quad Tuners (8 Tuners total)

Belkin 8 Port KVM

(2) Leviton PDU's

Domain Controller/DNS - Cisco UCS C200B, Intel Xeon X5606, 24GB DDR3, (2)60GB SSD, 160GB HDD

VM Host - Dell R810 - (4) Intel Xeon L7555, 128GB DDR3, (2) 146GB 15k HDD, (4) 300GB 15k HDD

Storage Server - SuperMicro CS-846, (2) Intel Xeon L5520, 48GB DDR3, (1)120GB SSD, (24) 3TB Enterprise 7.2k Drives (2 RAID 50's)

5200VA of APC UPS backup

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

Cisco Docsis 3.0 Gateway - Xfinity 175/20

PFSense Box - Q9400, 4GB DDR3, 60GB SSD - Router/Firewall

Cisco WS-C2960S-48LPS-L Switch - 48Port Gigabit POE+

TV Headend - Norco RPC-230, AMD A8-7650K, 16GB DDR3, 60GB SSD, 3TB HDD, 2 Ceton Quad Tuners (8 Tuners total)

Belkin 8 Port KVM

(2) Leviton PDU's

Domain Controller/DNS - Cisco UCS C200B, Intel Xeon X5606, 24GB DDR3, (2)60GB SSD, 160GB HDD

VM Host - Dell R810 - (4) Intel Xeon L7555, 128GB DDR3, (2) 146GB 15k HDD, (4) 300GB 15k HDD

Storage Server - SuperMicro CS-846, (2) Intel Xeon L5520, 48GB DDR3, (1)120GB SSD, (24) 3TB Enterprise 7.2k Drives (2 RAID 50's)

5200VA of APC UPS backup

Green with envy, I am. I see you got your cabling all finished. It looks great!

JeremyFr79

Yeah want to work on it some more but it's better than it was.  I'm actually most happy that I got the new backplane in the storage server and re configured the array's I'm now getting near 1.5GBps of read/write to the arrays (12 drives each)

Guest asrequested

Yeah want to work on it some more but it's better than it was.  I'm actually most happy that I got the new backplane in the storage server and re configured the array's I'm now getting near 1.5GBps of read/write to the arrays (12 drives each)

I'm still surprised that you haven't gone 10G for all the heavy transferring. Just with single ordinary SSDs, I get significant transfer rates. With your RAID 50s, I imagine you'd get even more.

58fd4eff1bea1_Snapshot_18.jpg

JeremyFr79

I don't do any large transfers to/from the server only internally from one array to the other.  Outside of that just a few iSCSI targets for a couple of the VM's and streaming to the Emby VM,  The storage server is running a 6 gig connections and the VM host is also running 6 gig connections.  So with SMB 3.0 if I absolutely need to I can saturate the links but I never have to do that.  Eventually I'll move to 10Gb for the file and VM host but gig is more than sufficient for all my other stuff.  Though I'm running a 2Gbps bonded connection on my desktop.

Guest asrequested

@ - what was that copying from/to?

What about copying into your Drivepool pool?

That was SSD to SSD, so those results are the read/write capacity of the drives. I don't know if drivebender has this, but stablebit has an SSD optimizer plugin. You add an SSD to the pool. When you write to the pool, it writes to the SSD first.

CBers

That was SSD to SSD, so those results are the read/write capacity of the drives. I don't know if drivebender has this, but stablebit has an SSD optimizer plugin. You add an SSD to the pool. When you write to the pool, it writes to the SSD first.

It's called a LANDING ZONE DISC in DriveBender.

It doesn't have to be an SSD though :)

Guest asrequested

It's called a LANDING ZONE DISC in DriveBender.

It doesn't have to be an SSD though :)

Using an SSD I get high transfer rates.

• Like 1

JeremyFr79

Forgot to mention the 70amps of dedicated electrical circuits feeding the rack 1 30amp circuit for the 3000kva UPS, and (2) 20 Amp circuits for the other UPS' :D

Guest asrequested

Forgot to mention the 70amps of dedicated electrical circuits feeding the rack 1 30amp circuit for the 3000kva UPS, and (2) 20 Amp circuits for the other UPS' :D

Damn! Lol.. I haven't popped any breakers... Yet! Lol