Emby mode? (Native/Add on)

themimperials
Go to solution Solved by mastrmind11,

themimperials

I find it a little bit hard to see the exact differences, pros/cons etc for using direct mode and addon mode in KODI. My KODI device is not portable, and thus I always want to watch at full resolution and quality. Therefore I got it working in direct mode, where I linked the libraries to their actual NFS shares in Emby. 

Can you guys help me break this down to make sure I am running the best mode?

mastrmind11

I believe that native mode treats the media just like you're accustomed to in Kodi (direct plays via network share).  Addon mode will do this too but will also add the ability to stream outside of your network because it uses http url's as the media path/location.  Also addon mode supports parental control and I think delete after watched, though I have not tested the latter.  Either way, if you stay local to your media, they'll both direct play.

edit: if you choose to switch to addon mode, you'll need to do a library rescan for the new paths to take effect. 

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Like 2

themimperials

Ok thanks a lot. I cannot see however then why it would ever be a good choice to use direct? Are there any scenarios where it is preferable?

• Solution
mastrmind11

Ok thanks a lot. I cannot see however then why it would ever be a good choice to use direct? Are there any scenarios where it is preferable?

Playback mode: Add-on|Native - This determines the type of playback used for your files. Changing mode requires a database reset.

• Add-on(default): This playback mode is controlled by the add-on. You can direct play/direct stream/transcode and use the Emby cinema feature. It will also follow your parental access schedule, if you have it enabled. This is the only mode that will allow for remote playback.
  • Native(direct paths): This mode is suggested for low powered device and maximum compatibility with other Kodi add-ons. The playback is controlled by Kodi, so Emby features that effect this area are limited. You will only be able to direct play. This mode will import actual file paths to your media files. These paths come from your Emby server. Make sure the Kodi client has access to the same paths used by Emby, or use Path Substitution in the Library options prior to syncing your content.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hstamas

Note also that using Native Mode also make your Kodi library more compatible with certain plugins and allows for downloading of subtitles to work properly.

• Like 1