Emby Server Build and/or Upgrade

Dizzy49

Dizzy49

Do you have any redundancies set up like parity drives or mirrors (not sure if windows supports them)? Because in a multi drive system there is a much higher likelihood of drive failure.

I use Stablebit DrivePool and Scanner.  All of my data is duplicated.

I actually went from Unraid to clumsy hardware RAID, to FlexRAID.  FlexRAID changed a lot, then kind of went stale.  A lot of issues were just never addressed, and when I did have a drive fail, it was an absolute nightmare trying to rebuild the array.  I received ZERO help from the dev, and the forums were spotty at best.  It took me nearly two weeks to get back up and running.  The hardware raid was clumsy, and it took 30 hours to rebuild the array, but it was stupid simple.

I have Scanner keeping an eye on my drives, and if it detects an issue DrivePool will move data off of the drives.  I can then remove it from the pool and replace it with one of the spares I have.

I might give those a try. The quieter I can make my setup, the better

The ones I have are fairly old, and are quite beefy.

http://www.silenx.com/quiet.fans.asp?sku=ixp-76-18

They are 120x38mm, I'm going to try to put them in the case in the next few days, I'll let you know how it works out.  I need replacements for the 80mm fans, THOSE things are loud!  The ones in my 4220 are far worse.

Guest asrequested

I use Stablebit DrivePool and Scanner.  All of my data is duplicated.

I actually went from Unraid to clumsy hardware RAID, to FlexRAID.  FlexRAID changed a lot, then kind of went stale.  A lot of issues were just never addressed, and when I did have a drive fail, it was an absolute nightmare trying to rebuild the array.  I received ZERO help from the dev, and the forums were spotty at best.  It took me nearly two weeks to get back up and running.  The hardware raid was clumsy, and it took 30 hours to rebuild the array, but it was stupid simple.

I have Scanner keeping an eye on my drives, and if it detects an issue DrivePool will move data off of the drives.  I can then remove it from the pool and replace it with one of the spares I have.

The ones I have are fairly old, and are quite beefy.

http://www.silenx.com/quiet.fans.asp?sku=ixp-76-18

They are 120x38mm, I'm going to try to put them in the case in the next few days, I'll let you know how it works out.  I need replacements for the 80mm fans, THOSE things are loud!  The ones in my 4220 are far worse.

Yeah, I put Noctua 80mm fans at the back of both of mine. I've replaced every fan in my system. In the switches, too

Dizzy49

Yeah, I put Noctua 80mm fans at the back of both of mine. I've replaced every fan in my system. In the switches, too

Yeah, I REALLY need to find a decent replacement for that horrible fan in my switch!

Guest asrequested

Yeah, I REALLY need to find a decent replacement for that horrible fan in my switch!

What switch do you have?

Dizzy49

What switch do you have?

I have 3, but the loud one is Netgear JGS524

The other two are nearly silent.

mediacowboy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJGYLNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's a picture of Doofus's system in "Show off your network closet" thread (formerly known as Show off your rack; liked the old name better :rolleyes:

That fan ctrl really pops out if you ask me

Me too :D

And She Is BACK Four Your View Pleasure. The Great The Wonderful The Beautiful....... Oh wait wrong way to attract attention to a thread.

Show Off Your Server Rack is back.

Edited by mediacowboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Dizzy49

I finally got the rest of the 10Gtek flat ribbon cables for the SAS connections.  I also tried to see if the larger Silenx fans fit.  It was a little snug where the power goes into the backplanes, but aside from that they fit quite well.  I still need to replace the two smaller 80mm fans, but I don't need to disassemble the entire server to do that!  I finally got all my wiring cleaned up and mounted the PWM splitter on the fan wall.

591825b2648ea_IMG_20170513_030143.jpg

I got my server back into the rack.  Next chore will be cleaning up the server room.  I have about 20 cables run throughout the house that need terminated and connected to the switches.

591825da60861_IMG_20170514_022434.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Dizzy49

Added my HDhomerun to the mix.  I replaced a 40GB with a 120GB for a client and they left me keep the 40GB.  I added it as a Cache drive for Emby :D

• 1 month later...