Emby Server Build and/or Upgrade

Dizzy49

Dizzy49

And this is an example of how the inside of a computer should NEVER LOOK!

58ed98b15b50e_IMG_20170411_190101.jpg

Happy2Play

Got a server that sees about that much dust every 6 months.

Guest asrequested

The little bit of dust that collects on the front of mine, bothers me. If I were getting that much, I'd make filters

Happy2Play

Just scheduled maintenance with a can of air Outside.

Edited by Happy2Play

Dizzy49

YUCK! Is that your old rig?

Yes, that's after living through 9 months of heavy demo/renovation in the house.  That included cutting a ton of old concrete, demo of tons of old lathe and plaster, and putting up all new sheetrock.  ALL of that right where the server sits.

CPU: Xeon 1274 v3

Mobo: Supermicro X10SLH

Ram: 32GB ECC Ram

PSU: Corsair TX650

HBA:

LSI 9210-8i

LSI 9211-8i

Drives:

Data: 2x 3TB WD Green

Landing: Samsung Spinpoint

Optical: Panasonic Slim BDR

He has 6 more drives we will add once I deliver it to him this weekend.

I cleaned it up and fixed it up and now it's ready to head to my dad:

58f64816b38f0_IMG_20170418_110214.jpg

58f6484364830_IMG_20170418_110238.jpg

58f648719e889_IMG_20170418_110247.jpg

I'm waiting on a few more cables to get mine finished up...

Dizzy49

And here's mine...

Drives

Data:

4x 10GB Ironwolf

4x 4TB WD Enterprise

4x 3TB WD Red

4x 3TB Barracuda XT

2x 5TB Toshiba

Landing: 3TB Barracuda XT

I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the WD Enterprise drives!  Enterprise Class Datacenter drives my ass!  They start throwing heat warnings at 105F, and the heat up FAST!  If I have one by itself (no drives above, under, or beside) then it idles about 95F.  If it's in a stack (with one open bay in a 24 bay case, it is indeed stacked) it idles about 101F.  Give it any kind of load and it jumps to 105F and starts throwing errors.  My WD Red's get to 101F under full load.  If they are running, then the Enterprise drive sits idle at 104F!!  My Barracudas which I EXPECT to run hot usually run 102-105F, but they don't throw warnings until 115F

So far I'd have to say the Enterprise drives are a complete waste of money and I would NOT recommend them!  For the money, I should have gotten more Ironwolf drives!

Here's how she looks right now.  I'm waiting on a few more of the thin SAS cables, then I'll clean it all up.

58f6dfe106209_IMG_20170418_173452.jpg58f6e024da895_IMG_20170418_173500.jpg58f6e0704ae68_IMG_20170418_173545.jpg

Guest asrequested

Looks great! I didn't bother numbering mine. Have you thought about using an M.2 SSD for your OS drive? Then you can lose the Samsung and the cables for it. It'll give you more space. I use a Samsung EVO 950pro NVMe, for mine. The 960 is out now, though.

Dizzy49

I considered it briefly.  Having a SSD at all is probably overkill, but I got it pretty cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
CharleyVarrick

Asus used to be my Go-To brand, but I went all out on builds for my wife and my personal computers, and had ALL kinds of problems with the boards.  After being replaced 3 times, and getting nonstop excuses I sadly gave up.  I've built a few Gigabyte and was happy with them.  I love the one in my HTPC right now.  Rock solid, been on for nearly 3 years straight :D  Used a couple ASrock and find them to be feature rich and budget friendly.

That's a good board recommendation.  I have the cFos software on my existing server and really like it.

I can concur about Asus, you summed it up pretty good.

CharleyVarrick

Very nice system you're building, I am wishing for something similar as soon as I make up my mind.

You might consider slapping to your RPC-4224 the lcd display that Doofus put on his, for fan controls I believe.

While on the subject, Norco's default fans don't have very good rep. (noisy and low performance)

Again Doofus and others have immediately upgraded theirs with better ones.

Edited by jlr19

Dizzy49

Very nice system you're building, I am wishing for something similar as soon as I make up my mind.

You might consider slapping to your RPC-4224 the lcd display that Doofus put on his, for fan controls I believe.

While on the subject, Norco's default fans don't have very good rep. (noisy and low performance)

Again Doofus and others have immediately upgraded theirs with better ones.

I was trying to get info on the CFM of the 120mm fans in the center.  I have a bunch of Silenx fans I can replace them with, but I don't want to if it's less CFM.  The case is in a dedicated rack, and honestly the switch I have has a RIDULOUSLY loud 25mm fan in it that is way worse than the Norco! :D

Also the Silen fans are pretty thick and I think it would be a pretty tight fit.  Then again, if they fit, I might as well take the fans from the rack and use them.  Those things move so much air when I turn them on it's like a wind tunnel in the hallway!

I have 2 set of 120mm Silenx fans, one set is 18dba and 90CFM, and the other is 14dba and 72CFM.  The 14dba will easily fit.  The 18dba will be a TIGHT squeeze.  

I did add a couple slot fans that I had laying around to the back as well.  They move quite a bit of air.

Edited by Dizzy49

Guest asrequested

I've got 3 of these for my fan wall. Most of the time I run them at 50%. At this very moment, it's a hot day (88F), I jacked them up to 70%. They are really great fans.

http://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-industrialppc-3000-pwm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFCRATC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Doofus

Dizzy49

Looks great! I didn't bother numbering mine. Have you thought about using an M.2 SSD for your OS drive? Then you can lose the Samsung and the cables for it. It'll give you more space. I use a Samsung EVO 950pro NVMe, for mine. The 960 is out now, though.

Hey, what's the LCD I hear you have for your fans?  :D

I've got 3 of these for my fan wall. Most of the time I run them at 50%. At this very moment, it's a hot day (88F), I jacked them up to 70%. They are really great fans.

http://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-industrialppc-3000-pwm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFCRATC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My rack is in the basement of a 90yr old house.  The room was original the "cold storage" room, seemed fitting :)  It rarely gets above 68F in the basement, and all the hot air is drawn out of the room with a vent fan.

Those fans look nice, I have used Noctua fans in the past.  43dba seems pretty loud for 110CFM when compared to the 18dba for 90CFM from the SilenX

I am waiting on replacement drives for the WD Enterprise drives I had.  If they are overheating again I may drop in new fans and see how it does.  Honestly, the two 80mm fans are far louder than the 120mm ones.  Noise isn't really my issue, it's the airflow...

Swynol

Hey, what's the LCD I hear you have for your fans?   :D

My rack is in the basement of a 90yr old house.  The room was original the "cold storage" room, seemed fitting :)  It rarely gets above 68F in the basement, and all the hot air is drawn out of the room with a vent fan.

Those fans look nice, I have used Noctua fans in the past.  43dba seems pretty loud for 110CFM when compared to the 18dba for 90CFM from the SilenX

I am waiting on replacement drives for the WD Enterprise drives I had.  If they are overheating again I may drop in new fans and see how it does.  Honestly, the two 80mm fans are far louder than the 120mm ones.  Noise isn't really my issue, it's the airflow...

i'm using the same noctua fans at 100%. the noise doesnt bother me. the 2x 80mm fans i have running at 3000rpm are much louder. unfortunately my rack is in a room which is difficult to keep cool. all my enterprise drives are below 39c and normal drives run at 26-28c. 

CharleyVarrick

Hey, what's the LCD I hear you have for your fans?   :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJGYLNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's a picture of Doofus's system in "Show off your network closet" thread (formerly known as Show off your rack; liked the old name better :rolleyes:

That fan ctrl really pops out if you ask me

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1

CBers

"Show off your network closet" thread (formerly known as Show off your rack; liked the old name better :rolleyes:

Me too :D

mediacowboy

There's a picture of Doofus's system in "Show off your network closet" thread (formerly known as Show off your rack; liked the old name better :rolleyes:

That fan ctrl really pops out if you ask me

Me too :D

Are those hints to change it back to the old name? [emoji13]

CBers

Are those hints to change it back to the old name? [emoji13]

Yep.

I didn't see a request to change it, so don't know why it was changed, or by who.

Dizzy49

Build looks great but please get rid of windows and put unraid on it [emoji6]

LOL.  I actually started with Unraid with my first system.  I've always had a love/hate relationship with *nix.  When it works, it's great, but when something goes wrong, it's ALWAYS a huge deal and takes 100x longer for me to get it back up and running.

I do a lot of my sorting/organization and other things on the server as well, and it just wasn't nearly as easy when I was using Unraid.  So Windows it is.  It's actually a pretty stripped down install.

aptalca

Do you have any redundancies set up like parity drives or mirrors (not sure if windows supports them)? Because in a multi drive system there is a much higher likelihood of drive failure.

Edited by aptalca

Guest asrequested

I might give those a try. The quieter I can make my setup, the better

Edited by Doofus