Domain Name for my Emby server, Organising items

Rithea

Rithea

I have a school project that is to find a good application to let people in my local area watch movies and shows for free. So, I tried Emby but I have many problem with this. First, I have no idea how to organise items perfectly in order to be attractive to users. Second, I want user to log-in to the server using a simple domain name (for example local_media.com)

which make users remember easily rather than let them use ip addresses.

BAlGaInTl

I have a school project that is to find a good application to let people in my local area watch movies and shows for free. So, I tried Emby but I have many problem with this. First, I have no idea how to organise items perfectly in order to be attractive to users. Second, I want user to log-in to the server using a simple domain name (for example local_media.com)

which make users remember easily rather than let them use ip addresses.

Emby has libraries which you can use to organize your content. If metadata is available, Emby will do it for you. You didn't mention what type of content it was. Is it shows/movies that the school has produced? You may also want to be familiar with any legal requirements if it's commercial media.

The domain name is pretty simple. First, you register a domain. I use Google domains, but also have heard good things about Hover. If the server is on a static IP, you can simply point the domain (forward) it there. Or if your school already has a domain, you may be able to use a subdomain. Something like emby.schooldomain.com. If the server is on a dynamic IP, you may have to do something to update that IP occasionally. There are lots of tools out there to do it.

Finally... I think that Emby would be "free as in beer." You could set it up so that users can get the apps and access it for free, but you are going to need a premier key, and someone has to pay for that. There is also a 15 device limit with the standard premiere accounts. Alternately, you could use the web client only which is free. However, there are other limitations such as an occasional delay in playing media (i.e., sometimes you have to wait X seconds before you can start playing something).

Emby is free to try out and get started, so it doesn't hurt to explore it as an option.

I've been extremely happy with it over other solutions and have shelled out the $ for a "lifetime" premiere key.

• Like 1