Memory leak?

trifleneurotic
Go to solution Solved by tymanthius,

trifleneurotic

Hello all!

I just had a quick question. Since using Emby (recovering Plex user here), I have noticed that memory usage steadily seems to increase even when it isn't streaming or engaging in scheduled tasks. IIRC, I often would get alerts via my alerting system regarding usage by the Emby process. That is when I began to the crontab to shutdown Emby via the API (step 1), then restart/daemonize (step 2) and write out the new PID so my monitoring system can pick it up (step 3).

I am using Emby 3.2.8 with Mono 4.6.2.7 on Fedora 21. Is it feasible that memory use would perhaps plateau or has this been an issue with some users?

Below is a screenshot of Emby memory usage over the past few days. The dips are the late night shutdowns, and as you can see usage steadily rises.

58d2cd026ea94_ScreenShot20170322at120609

mastrmind11

I've noticed since the last couple of updates an increase in memory usage.  I have not gotten any OOM errors but what used to cap at 2.5GB is now around 4GB under prolonged uptime under normal usage.

edit: I take most of that back, since I've added other stuff to the box since then, but memory consumption has definitely increased to around 3.5GB.

Edited by mastrmind11

Hello all!

I just had a quick question. Since using Emby (recovering Plex user here), I have noticed that memory usage steadily seems to increase even when it isn't streaming or engaging in scheduled tasks. IIRC, I often would get alerts via my alerting system regarding usage by the Emby process. That is when I began to the crontab to shutdown Emby via the API (step 1), then restart/daemonize (step 2) and write out the new PID so my monitoring system can pick it up (step 3).

I am using Emby 3.2.8 with Mono 4.6.2.7 on Fedora 21. Is it feasible that memory use would perhaps plateau or has this been an issue with some users?

Below is a screenshot of Emby memory usage over the past few days. The dips are the late night shutdowns, and as you can see usage steadily rises.

58d2cd026ea94_ScreenShot20170322at120609

That doesn't look like unreasonable memory usage...

• Like 1

• Solution
tymanthius

A) I have an LXC running debian where the only thing that runs there is Emby.  Memory usage is steady, and fairly low.  Max mem on the LXC is 8Gig, and it never hits that. Rarely hits half.

B) under 400Mb I wouldn't even notice for a constantly running system like this.  I'd reset your alerts to something closer to a gig or 2.

EDIT: Like the 'recovering Plex user'.  Plex is nice, but I don't like the direction they went in.

Edited by tymanthius
  • Like 1

trifleneurotic

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Yes, I had a faint suspicion that I perhaps was expecting some kind of arbitrary plateau when what I was seeing was actually normal. I think I'll turn off the crontab and set my alerting threshold higher. I'll report back with any odd behavior; if that comes to pass I'll be sure to post server logs.

Part of the reason I requested your log files was to review installed plugins. Plugins will increase memory and cpu usage.

• 1 month later...
sle118

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Emby 3.2.13.0 has taken my machine down last night and this morning it took some patience to get to the task manager and kill the process as it had allocated all the available memory and was swapping on my SSD like crazy.

Looking at the logs, I think this might have been caused by having one of my external disk unplugged as this likely confused the library scan task.

@@Luke, I have sent you the logs in private as I don't want to obfuscate the content from potentially sensitive content.

@@ebr, I could also send it to you if you want.

thank you!