I might have to many USB devices

chef

chef

Say?! Guys there seems to be limit on how many USB devices that can be connected to my computer setup. If I add a USB hub then devices stop working.

Do you think it is because of the power supply doesn't have enough amps to drive a bunch of devices? Or does a computer just stop allowing ports to be used after a certain amount?

Would a powered USB hub help my situation?

Thanks in advance :)

PenkethBoy

Not heard of a limit

but i always go for a powered hub as it saves pulling power from the pc as its limited by what the ports will supply which off the m/b is not as much as a hub can provide

and it depends what type of devices you want to run

an unpowered hub is ok for a mouse/keyboard - but not a hdd or similar

maybe you are pulling too much current and its dropping the power available to the usb bus and that would affect all of the usb devices

or you have a bad hug

etc etc

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Well, when they made the first USB port, they daisy chained something like 172 devices before the signal degraded. Do the devices you're using require powered ports? If so, that might be the issue...not enough juice. 

• Like 1

dredd1963

Hi

I use a 5 port usb expansion card with 3 external HDDs with no problems drawing power from my pc. These are not expensive items to buy these days i paid £15.00 off eBay for mine + power lead converter to psu.

• Like 1