M3U Overlapping Recordings Failing

Spaceboy

CBers

As a test, can you try an mkv recording? thanks !

The MKV recording worked fine with FF/RW.

Spaceboy

Having Preserve original audio when converting recordings (when possible) option on previously, has caused multiple small files to be created, hence why they're both off.

Yes, i am also seeing this in addition to recordings converted to mp4 with both other check boxes off produces an unseekable recording. i'm also seeing issues with overlapping recordings again too

so it looks like the only thing that works is recording to ts, no conversion is possible

maegibbons

Hi

@@Spaceboy Currently the overlapping recordings problem is bigger than just m3u - it affects HDHR recordings too. See other thread.

I have also tried to use the transcode on record fuctions and have seen the Multiple files issues and unseekable under mp4 problem.

You are right .ts is the only feasable option at the moment which is why I only use it.

HOWEVER, i have reported elsewhere that the streamcopy function used to record is not good at detecting a stream drop and does not automatically restart which means that sometimes you can get short programs.  It would be good if it could detect the drop and restart a -1 or -2 recxording.

ALSO .ts is apparently not a seekable container so causes the "skip jumping forward" problem

I would like the transcode to MKV option to work properly.

Krs

Mark

pünktchen

ALSO .ts is apparently not a seekable container so causes the "skip jumping forward" problem

Although ebr is praying this, it's not true in general but only in the context of Androids native video player. It's not so easy as with mkv, that's why the ExoPlayer developers don't support it. But it is possible. I even know programs where you can seek frame accurate! Of course you're right by thinking there's a correlation between ts and your skip jumping problem. If you have discontinuities or frame drops in the stream, the timestamps don't match anymore and you are in trouble. By storing the stream in mkv you're just creating a new time index that suits to your broken stream. So that's just a workaround. Instead you should search for the cause of your discontinuities.

Spaceboy

ha, and i thought that using embytv over an external solution was going to fix everything, but its just a different set of issues!

still a bit to be done then. are these issues being actively worked on or is more information required to do that? what can we do to help fix it?

• Like 1

Spaceboy

actually i'm still seeing short recordings where they overlap even on different channels even using ts format. fairly certain this is not a drop in the signal as they are happening exactly around the time that the second recording should start. and from my experience temporary blips usually manifest in a skip in the recorded file rather than the file ending. 

quite disappointing. first question: how does emby know what tuners are available in an m3u setup? i should have 6 concurrent available but does emby know this? does it need to know this or does it just keep trying to obtain a stream until the server says no?

actually i'm still seeing short recordings where they overlap even on different channels even using ts format. fairly certain this is not a drop in the signal as they are happening exactly around the time that the second recording should start. and from my experience temporary blips usually manifest in a skip in the recorded file rather than the file ending. 

quite disappointing. first question: how does emby know what tuners are available in an m3u setup? i should have 6 concurrent available but does emby know this? does it need to know this or does it just keep trying to obtain a stream until the server says no?

With m3u it will more or less assume they are always available. Best thing to do is discuss a specific example and provide the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks !

maegibbons

@@Spaceboy strangely enough i am NOT seeing the overlap problem with M3U IPTV streams.  I am not getting short recordings and i assume this is because it always opens a new stream for each recording unlike HDHR which shares a Tuner.  I do not believe emby attempts this with M3U.  Indeed I wish it would so you could watch the same stream on multiple devices without consuming additional incoming bandwidth - I have asked for this elsewhere.

So its all a bit puzzling at the moment!!!

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

• 3 weeks later...
Spaceboy

@@Spaceboy strangely enough i am NOT seeing the overlap problem with M3U IPTV streams.  I am not getting short recordings and i assume this is because it always opens a new stream for each recording unlike HDHR which shares a Tuner.  I do not believe emby attempts this with M3U.  Indeed I wish it would so you could watch the same stream on multiple devices without consuming additional incoming bandwidth - I have asked for this elsewhere.

So its all a bit puzzling at the moment!!!

Krs

Mark

yeah sorry, my mistake with all conversion options in emby disabled i do get full recordings the vast majority of the time. what confused me here was a second recording of the same program on the same day which resulted in the second recording having a -1 appended which is the same as it appears when i get several incomplete recordings.

but... firstly there just seems to be acceptance that the conversion options arent working for either hdhomerun or iptv users. is there going to be any effort expended to look into or fix this?

and secondly, there is still an issue with iptv which hopefully another user can confirm. if you have a recording being made and you are watching live tv the live tv stream will always pause as the recording finishes in the background. it seems to happen every time. the only way to fix it is to back out of the stream and restart. i've waited and the video does not restart.

but... firstly there just seems to be acceptance that the conversion options arent working for either hdhomerun or iptv users. is there going to be any effort expended to look into or fix this?

That is not true. If you can properly report your issue, we will be happy to look into it. Thanks !

maegibbons

and secondly, there is still an issue with iptv which hopefully another user can confirm. if you have a recording being made and you are watching live tv the live tv stream will always pause as the recording finishes in the background. it seems to happen every time. the only way to fix it is to back out of the stream and restart. i've waited and the video does not restart.

Certainly, I have accepted NOT trying to use the conversion on record options because I had multiple issues.  I will re-test when I have time and submit a report on what I currently find because it is a few months since I tested.

I have not seen your second issue but I will test it out to confirm or deny !!  I tend not to do that much.  If I am recording an item I will tend to use the "Active Recording" to watch "Live" so as not to use multiple streams and hence multiple bandwidth.  Hint, hint @@Luke re sharing IPTV streams from the server.

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

@@Spaceboy

I tested your second issue and cannot replicate.

I started to record Gavin and Stacey on Dave HD  and then started watching the same channel in Chrome browser.  The recording finished and live tv continued to play in browser.

How did you start the recording and what were you watching live tv on?

Have you looked at your logs to see what went on?  Test again then send logs.

Krs

Mark

Spaceboy

That is not true. If you can properly report your issue, we will be happy to look into it. Thanks !

er.... this thread is about failures on conversion to mkv and i provided all the requested information, you wrote it off as bad signal despite it happening consistently with convert to mkv on and never with it off.

@@CBers has also provided information about the failures with conversion to mp4, you just end up with loads of unplayable small files. i have also seen this but the link he provided isn't working. i also saw this in my brief usage of a hdhomerun and i'm not sure if you ever fixed it.

the only issue where you dont have info is the one i have just raised and you conveniently overlooked that in your response so you can't be referring to that.

what more do you want?

Spaceboy

@@Spaceboy

I tested your second issue and cannot replicate.

I started to record Gavin and Stacey on Dave HD  and then started watching the same channel in Chrome browser.  The recording finished and live tv continued to play in browser.

How did you start the recording and what were you watching live tv on?

Have you looked at your logs to see what went on?  Test again then send logs.

Krs

Mark

cheers, i'll try it out but unfortunately i'm having to watch the football in kodi because emby doesnt update the channel names  :rolleyes:

CBers

cheers, i'll try it out but unfortunately i'm having to watch the football in kodi because emby doesnt update the channel names :rolleyes:

Ditto yesterday.

Had to watch it via the ACE TV addon in Kodi.

CBers

@@CBers has also provided information about the failures with conversion to mp4, you just end up with loads of unplayable small files. i have also seen this but the link he provided isn't working. i also saw this in my brief usage of a hdhomerun and i'm not sure if you ever fixed it.

I don't get this now if I don't use either of the Preserve Audio or Preserve Video options.

It's been reported many times over the last year.

Turning off those options is the only way to fix it.

Spaceboy

I don't get this now if I don't use either of the Preserve Audio or Preserve Video options.

It's been reported many times over the last year.

Turning off those options is the only way to fix it.

And this is what I mean by acceptance and no-one doing anything about it
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

also, a note to iptv users and dev's as i had a brief discussion with luke about this.

any change to the m3u will result in loss of series recordings. i just updated a load of channel logos, nothing else, and all my series recordings are lost. how is this going to work with changes to the m3u at the providers end? we can't just lose all series recordings when a new channel is added. does there need to be a more robust way of storing series recordings?

• Like 1

maegibbons

IMHO series recordings should purely be linked to channel NUMBER only.  That means if you change iptv provider with a completely different url, if you use the same channel number it will still work.  If you change channel number then its your lookout to tidy up the mess!!

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

It's not that simple when we're supporting multiple sources of live tv all mixed together at the same time. To do what you're suggesting, by extension means that we should assume all channels with the same number are the same and that's not something that's going to work for everyone.

maegibbons

Why would anybody have different channels with the same channel number - regardless of source.  Are you not just over complicating this?  At the very worst key it by source and channel number "IPTV2001" or something like that hashed or otherwise.

Channel numbers especially within a source should be unique.

Krs

Mark

Most m3u's don't even have channel number, that's why we keyed off of tvg-id, which actually came from your own feedback. And I think that's the right way to go.

• Like 1

maegibbons

@@Luke

If its purely keyed on tvg-id then I would agree with you - it works well how it is generally for me.  HOWEVER, Its a bit puzzling why simple channel name change or change in logo causes @@Spaceboy to loose his scheduled recordings.

I have not tested this for a while - i know it was a problem when we were going through this stuff a few months ago - but that was probably transition to where we are now.

When I have a moment I will try and test small changes in m3u.  I DO think the m3u should be MASTER  in terms of channel name changes.

EDIT: Thinking more , it cant be purely on tvg-id because of the multiple channel to same guide data issue (which was fixed) it surely has to be a combo of tvg-id and channel number.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons