Codec reset, and remote control issues

jachin99

jachin99

I cannot fast forward or rewind using Emby For WMC, and there is no way to skip or chapters, or watch previous chapters.  Only pause and play work.  I have looked at Media Control but I currently have shark's codec pack installed, and I'm not sure how well having multiple codec packs will play out.  Is there a way to completely reset all codec related settings, and possibly look at using Media Control? 

Edited by jachin99

Just FYI - this is more of a Windows Operating System question than Emby for WMC.

I would suggest dumping the Shark codec pack and installing LAV.

jachin99

I edited my previous post.  If I were to dump sharks, and install LAV, how can I be sure there won't be any sort of conflict between my old, and new codecs.   Is there a way to reset all codecs back to their factory settings, and verify they are correct?

I don't know the details of your setup, and I am not really an expert on Shark, nor the process of switching between Shark and LAV. So I don't have the perfect answer although I'm sure there are others in the community who know more than I do.

What I can say though is that with no pre-existing codec packs, LAV is a great choice and works just fine.

jachin99

Which version of LAV do you use.  I think I have a few different archived filters from old setups.  I remember some that were supposedly from Powerdvd, and were supposed to look really good but I'm not sure how well they will work. 

Teddy
jachin99 , Try with last Shark version clicking "shark suggested settings" for x32 and x64  and after use Win7DSFilterTweaker utility to choose the codec you want use.

The utilities are available in internet.

And MCE Remote Plus utilitiy to setting forward and rewind keys.

Regards

Also, be sure that you have setup your system with the network paths in the library setup so that EMC can directly access your media.

jachin99

The MCE remote plus program looks pretty promising so thanks.  Teddy, I have tried both resetting my codecs to defaults, and using shark's suggested settings in both the 32 & 64 bit versions.  I should also mention that I am using the advanced pack from sharks.  In both cases, my machine crashes when I select the movies tab in WMC.  When I deselect the folder containing MKVs from my WMC library, I can select movies, and it works fine but, I cannot get to the video files stored on my server.  This happens outside of the emby interface, and in regular WMC so If i need to start a new thread, or look elsewhere, just let me know. 

Edited by jachin99

jachin99

I already looked at at, and have it on the PC.  I might switch over to that someday but copyonce is keeping me on WMC until DRM isn't a consideration.  I like emby because its customizable, and the forums seem friendly but I need WMC for the time being because of its WAF, and Copy once feature.  

Teddy

jachin99 ,

I've made a Camtasia movie for you as I have the codecs set up from scratch.

https://mega.nz/#!sB1GnbLC!OHhKSOZavdt63QO48FthcFbPdcZBju_Lz-r6Z2INhJY

I've used the same setup for years with no problems and works well for all movie formats. Default use ffmpeg and LAV codecs for x265 movies only.
1- Uninstall Shark codecs. (1st x64 and after x32 codecs)
2- Install the latest version of Advanced Codecs and make a complete installation of all codecs.
3 - Follow the movie step by step.
4 - Once configured Shark codecs, configure (force) with the tool Win7DSFilterTweaker codecs. I attached a few screenprint.

After this would have to work fine any movie format.

If you have crashes in WMC or another issue then you have an additional problem and it would be advisable to do a new windows installation from scratch.

NOTE. The parameters "spa,esp,cas;" is only for Spanish people, in your case I guess with only "eng;" is enough.

1.bmp

2.bmp

3.bmp

4.bmp

5.bmp

6.bmp

7.bmp

Edited by Teddy

jachin99

Teddy, I setup my codecs as described but as it relates to Emby, I still have the problem of I cannot fast forward or skip chapters, even when I try moving the mouse to the chapter markers.  The setup seems like its reliable but the picture quality gets kinda bad on some of my DVD files so is there a way to improve this or does that need a new post? 

Will this setup or emby in general work with extenders?

Teddy

Strange behavior because Windows 7 natively integrates support for DVD using its own MPEG2 codec.
MCE Remote Plus is good for forward or rewind the time of rip movies, not for the chapters of a bluray or a DVD.
In my case to play physical bluray and DVD's, I using PowerDVD 15 (that uses its own codecs and has integration with WMC) and it's possible change the chapters with the remote control or in the application itself with the mouse.

If quality gets bad , check you're using the Microsoft codec or choose another to tray improve the quality. Although I think the best for MPEG2 is Microsoft build codec.

a.bmp

b.bmp

Edited by Teddy

Also, be sure that you have setup your system with the network paths in the library setup so that EMC can directly access your media.

Have you ensured this?

jachin99

When you say ensure I have setup my system with network paths, do you mean in windows media center itself, or in emby somewhere.  In windows media center, WMC crashes when I add .mkvs stored on either  a network or local path.  I don't have a problem accessing media in emby for WMC, only WMC itself, and i'm not sure if there are any other ways to setup these libraries aside from using the WMC media libraries interface.  

The problem I am focusing on now is that I am unable to fast forward or rewind correctly.  If there is some other way to setup external libraries then maybe I can look at that.   When I do add my network movies folder, WMC crashes as soon as I go into the movies tile so I am trying to avoid that  (WAF goes way down when WMC crashes) however, I can set the movie library up again if need be.  

Emby does not use the WMC library at all so you don't even need to go there.

I'm talking about setting up your libraries in the Emby server.  (Library setup)

My guess is that you have not set that up properly to be able to directly access them from your WMC machine so they are transcoding and are not seekable for that reason.

jachin99

Alright, thanks. Just to be clear, and because I am curious, I need to use path substitution because it uses a UNC address, is that right?  Why do the client machines see this differently?  

Edited by jachin99

jachin99

I have all my media on 2 drives that are separate from the OS drive on my server machine, and I've shared those drives over the network.  Would this still apply?

The question is, did you define the optional network paths to the shares in the library setup?

If you post an EMC log from when you played back one of these items, I can confirm.

How to Report a Problem

jachin99

I haven't done that in emby yet but, i'll try it out when I get home.  If it still is not working, then I'll post a log.  

Depends on what path you gave to emby server for those drives. What path did you use in library setup?

jachin99

I configured the paths on my library server by specifying the drive letter so, and folder that I have my movies stored in by browsing to that folder within the emby server setup webpage.