Wake on Lan over HTPC --> Emby Server --> NAS

bennySB

bennySB

hi there,

is it possible that Emby start up a NAS over Wake on Lan if a HTPC want to watch a file with DirectPath?

The Emby Server is running 24/7, HTPC and NAS only at useage.

i hope you can give me an answer about the possibility of this.

MfG Benny

Edit:

In addition to the WakeUp over HTPC, is it possible to WakeUp the NAS over Emby by an Emby own Task (Clean Task, Search Task, .....) ?

Edited by bennySB

The NAS should be able to do this automatically simply by having the file system referenced, no?

bennySB

i don´t know. I´m asking for someone else, but i can link it for him that he can answering this question, maybe

Emby Tower

The NAS should be able to do this automatically simply by having the file system referenced, no?

If the Emby server and the NAS are two different systems and I start a movie, will Emby server try to wake up the NAS from standby?

If the Emby server and the NAS are two different systems and I start a movie, will Emby server try to wake up the NAS from standby?

No, but the Wake On Lan feature of the NAS itself, I would think would cover that situation.

darkside40

Hi there,

i am the guy from the other forum which started the discussion there.

When i get ebr right that means that Emby has no feature integrated to send Magic Pakets for waking another computer.

You are right it would be possible to do something like "Wake on Access", but in a busy Network that would lead to many false wakes. I have tried that long ago.

The cleanest way would be that Emby sends a Magic Paket to the Storage Server (and waits for an adjustable timeframe) when a client requests a file. That would works for all clients connected to the Emby Server.

A workaround for me would be, that my Kodi Clients wake the Storage Server when they boot. I think that could also work, but only for my Kodi Clients. 

To be honest, i will try it. Searching the github repo shows some code fragments for WOL, althought i dont know what they are meant for.

We send WOL packets from the apps to the Emby server.  But, if your storage is on yet another machine, then we do not send a WOL request to it.

I believe there is an existing feature request for that functionality.

darkside40

That would really be an improvement, and i dont think that this would be too hard to integrate. Btw. i have not found any request on the github page, maybe would be a good idea to open one. 

Like i said for my Kodi Clients they could help themselfs, but it would be interesting for other clients which dont have a WOL feature.

fbartels

While an automatic mechanism would be nice, the way I solved this is by adding a link to a webbased wol tool through "login disclaimer" in the branding subsection of the server settings. This will the link will be displayed on the mobile and web apps.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
fbartels

Sorry, i missed your reply. What i am actually using is a small bash script around the wakeonlan Debian package. this i have exposed to the internal network via https://github.com/adnanh/webhook.

But in the past there were plenty of php scripts for the same purpose as well.

• 1 month later...
sylvio2000

@ ebr

Do I understand you correct? The emby apps now send a magic packet to the emby server? On every platform? That would be great!

This is a feature I always waited for  :)

@ ebr

Do I understand you correct? The emby apps now send a magic packet to the emby server? On every platform? That would be great!

This is a feature I always waited for  :)

I believe most of the apps have been doing this for some time.  However, I don't think it is 100% reliable on all platforms at this point.

• 1 month later...
sylvio2000

Should Emby for FireTV send a magic packet to the server? Does this work for somebody?

I ask myself why emby nor plex send a magic packet to their server. Is it too difficult in android? But in Kodi (on android) thats no problem.

Should Emby for FireTV send a magic packet to the server? Does this work for somebody?

I ask myself why emby nor plex send a magic packet to their server. Is it too difficult in android? But in Kodi (on android) thats no problem.

Hi, to find out the answer to this as it pertains to Emby, please see the last FAQ listed here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/723-faqs/

Thanks.

sylvio2000

I am not sure why you show me this link to the faq.

I am asking for wol because I get no clear answer if it should work or not. I just would like to know if the client apps for FireTV and Nvidia Shield TV SHOULD send a magic packet to the server. Because this does not work for me.

I have no problem if its just not integrated so far, but I would like to get a clear answer ;)

• 7 months later...

This has been added for the next release of Emby Server. Emby apps will need a little time to get updated to support this. Thanks.

• Like 1