Got IPv6?

pir8radio

pir8radio

I put this in the hardware section, because I figure more geeky tinkerers would see it and might have some interest.     

So my question for you guys, "Do you use IPv6"? Internal only? native internet?  

Lots of my geeky friends say "NO" I don't like IPv6.....    :blink:   Why? I ask...  I never get a good reason, just that it's insecure, hard to remember, IPv4 works, or maybe even the conspiracy theory "We are not REALLY running out of IPv4 addresses".  

I have been using IPv6 since I had a native IPv6 address given to me from my internet provider.  More and more ISP's are supporting native IPv6 now as well..  Xfinity, AT&T, Most Cellular providers, and the list goes on..     It's just as easy to secure as IPv4 you still have firewall rules, you can still port forward (in a sense), you can still block all traffic to all ports except whatever you want opened. Its hard to remember... yea..  it is.. but that's why we have dns. Are we running out of IPv4? Yes..  That is we are running out of internet IPv4 addresses to sell/assign to people... That doesn't mean people are not sitting on thousands or total millions of unused IP's that they got for really cheap a long time ago...  

Anyway...   I look through my logs often, I have noticed an interesting trend that happened in a very short time span on my own emby server,  which prompted me to post this topic.   Below are two pie charts showing my emby visitors this month last year and this month today.

In the first chart (March, 2016) IPv6 is clearly the minority, where as the second chart (March, 2017) shows IPv4 is now the minority, wow! that was fast.  Pretty much the same amount of visitors and hits between these two months as well.

58ceb2e372e5d_32016.png                  58ceb2ed97676_32017.png

Guest asrequested

Well, both are available to me but I have no idea which gets used the most lol. Have I mentioned I have little networking knowledge? lol. One of these days, I need to learn me some stuff :D

pir8radio

Well, both are available to me but I have no idea which gets used the most lol. Have I mentioned I have little networking knowledge? lol. One of these days, I need to learn me some stuff :D

If you are not sure, chances are you don't have IPv6 open inbound to emby.   Neat test: http://ready.chair6.net/

PenkethBoy

Have no issue with ip6 - just have no need to use it yet for anything - internally i does not matter what you use - unless you have a reason to try it out?

if it becomes an issue i will investigate - not sure my isp actually gives out ip6 as their router does not support it i think

puithove

I'm waiting still for my ISP to bring it into service. I've previously tried using tunnelbroker and others, but then you end up with performance issues - so since there isn't anything yet where I NEED IPv6 to access it, I'm in the mode of just waiting.

• 2 weeks later...
colejack

Comcast will give me an IPV6 address but I don't use V6 anywhere as I don't understand it well and don't want to open up a can of worms in regards to my network. Already enough going on in and out of my network to add to it. I really don't know a lot about networking and am still learning on my own everything I've done so far.