Live TV Deinterlace Method Option

roberto188

roberto188

I see the transcoding log for interlaced to utilized yadif=0. Is there anyway to use yadif=1. This is a bob/weave de-interlace that produces MUCH better results. Any way to implement this or has it been tried? Devices like Roku can't deinterlace and the Bob/weave results are so much better than the standard deinterlace. 

• Like 21

We would have to add a setting because that would use a bit more CPU and not everyone will want to make that trade off.

Latchmor

Hi guys, if this is being treated as a Feature Request remember to Like the first post and not just say 'me too'  :)

• 3 weeks later...
puithove

Keep in mind adjusting this server-side in the transcoding is going to produce 50/60fps output (has to encode a 50/60fps stream instead of just 25/30), which will increase requirements all around - bandwidth, encoding CPU, client-side decode... etc.  You'll probably see issues with it on many clients.  I played with this some time ago by patching the source and didn't have much luck.

Instead, for those clients that can direct-play, I let them do the high-quality deinterlace.  Such as ET, I set W3FDIF deinterlace in the directshowplayer.xml.

roberto188

Keep in mind adjusting this server-side in the transcoding is going to produce 50/60fps output (has to encode a 50/60fps stream instead of just 25/30), which will increase requirements all around - bandwidth, encoding CPU, client-side decode... etc.  You'll probably see issues with it on many clients.  I played with this some time ago by patching the source and didn't have much luck.

Instead, for those clients that can direct-play, I let them do the high-quality deinterlace.  Such as ET, I set W3FDIF deinterlace in the directshowplayer.xml.

Yes this encoding will require a high power CPU with superfast encoding setting to do it in real-time plus additional bandwidth. For myself, I use Emby to stream my live TV to my hardwired Roku's around my local wired network so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. I have an overclocked i5 2500k. Ran ffmpeg with this setting and can handle realtime encoding without issue. Thanks for the help!

Edited by roberto188

roberto188

So i used handbrake to encode playoff hockey using the yadif=0 option and yadif=1 option. One output was 1080p 30fps the other was 720p 60fps. The latter looked AMAZING on my roku 3. Unfortunately my roku 3 choked on 1080p 60fps. Please please pleas add the option. Would love to sling 720p 60fps TV around my house. About to sign up for emby premiere. Thanks guys!

roberto188

Can this be moved to the Feature Request Section? Thanks!

Edited by roberto188

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest asrequested

Are we talking about doing this on the server before sending it to the players? If so, that would be great. I'm getting tired of turning it off and on in Theater.

Are we talking about doing this on the server before sending it to the players? If so, that would be great. I'm getting tired of turning it off and on in Theater.

No, this is only for apps that need server transcoding.

Guest asrequested

No, this is only for apps that need server transcoding.

Ah right. maybe I should make request to have it generally implemented, with an option to turn it off. It would solve the issue in Theater, with mpv.

Nobody would want to force transcoding for this when doing that comes with increased cpu usage + longer startup time to start playing. This is something that would only apply when we're already transcoding to begin with.

Guest asrequested

I see. I was thinking it could be done with a quick remux and not a full transcode. But maybe that's not possible.

puithove

No, it's a full decode / de-interlace / encode.

I'd support the option - because there have been times I've wanted to see it as well.  Just be mindful that 1080p/60 will choke a lot of clients.  Might be good to also have an option to downscale to 720p if using the x2 de-interlace - or have a mechanism for each client to report its ability to decode 1080p/60 and decide to downscale based on that. Otherwise I'd suspect there'd be a lot of reports of this option "breaking" things.

Either that, or just force down-scaling to 720 since 720p/60 is a standard, whereas 1080p/60 is not

But there are other higher-priority things I'd rather see work on.

Edited by puithove

roberto188

No, it's a full decode / de-interlace / encode.

I'd support the option - because there have been times I've wanted to see it as well.  Just be mindful that 1080p/60 will choke a lot of clients.  Might be good to also have an option to downscale to 720p if using the x2 de-interlace - or have a mechanism for each client to report its ability to decode 1080p/60 and decide to downscale based on that. Otherwise I'd suspect there'd be a lot of reports of this option "breaking" things.

Either that, or just force down-scaling to 720 since 720p/60 is a standard, whereas 1080p/60 is not

But there are other higher-priority things I'd rather see work on.

Agreed. Either an option for 720p or just force it. Roku 3 and lower chokes on 1080p 60fps. That's also ALOT of cpu power required. I'm curious though, what could be a higher priority than adjusting the encoding to deliver the proper quality video? I am all for awesome features, in fact Emby is the most feature packed media server I've seen, but to me basic quality of the video should be #1 priority and TONS of people use Roku with emby. 

• 2 weeks later...
roberto188

I will pay someone to recompile the windows emby server with yadif=0 changed to yadif=1. I don't even need the option to toggle between the two or force 720p. Just change to double deinterlace. PM me.

• 2 weeks later...