Live TV Deinterlace Method Option

roberto188

Please help me understand where this stands. I have two extend home run devices and I'm frustrated with Plex because of the lack of Dolby Digital on my Fire TV and the interlacing issues on the 1080i channels. So I found this thread and had hopes that I could resolve my interlacing problems on NBC and CBS but I'm not experiencing any better picture quality as I still see the interlacing lines.

I've tried no encoding on my extend as well as heavy encoding and I have Bob and weave enabled in the transcoding settings within Emby. Am I doing something wrong or is this as good as it gets?

Thanks for your help, you seem to have a great community.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Hi, we already support deinterlacing where needed, and in most Emby apps you will get it out of the box. This topic is a request to allow the user to select the method of deinterlacing when server transcoding comes into play.

Does this answer your question?

Thank you for the quick response Luke. Can you help me understand if I can eliminate the the interlacing of my hdhomerun extend for live TV? If so what would the settings be to accomplish that?

Thank you for the quick response Luke. Can you help me understand if I can eliminate the the interlacing of my hdhomerun extend for live TV? If so what would the settings be to accomplish that?

The default settings should get you that.  If you are having a specific issue where you don't think this is happening, please open a new topic in the forum for the appropriate app.  Thanks.

How to Report a Problem

sebasmiles

We would have to add a setting because that would use a bit more CPU and not everyone will want to make that trade off.

Btw does anyone know how much more CPU is required? I mean are we talking like +20% or +100%?

PS. Thanks for adding the feature in any case, I always prefer to have more options.

Edited by sebasmiles

• 4 months later...
x-cimo

FYI: yadif=1 was causing extreme sound and image shuttering on my Chromecast; on 1080i stream.  Basically pausing every seconds.

The cpu is pretty powerful and the ffmpeg log was above 1x (so not a bottleneck).

roberto188

Chomecast can't support 60 fps at 1080. Change encode settings to 4mbps to force 720p 60fps. Chromecast should be able to handle that.

roberto188

Why would u get rid of a feature that enhances experience? Emby needs to properly understand each devices capability and limit the transcode to that capability. IE Roku 3 handles 1080p @30fps and 720p @60fps. Chromecast I think is the same.

Well I think it's debatable whether or not you'd want higher resolution or better deinterlacing. We do know device capabilities but this is a whole new kind of conditional. We weren't really expecting all of this work when we agreed to add the setting. I think it is best to just take it out of the UI and allow you to continue to use it via the config file. That means you'll potentially have to adjust quality manually to resolve these kinds of scenarios.

roberto188

Watching sports in 30fps looks like watching it underwater. It's horribly blurred. Any reasonable notion or camera movement like in hockey or football or soccer requires 60fps to not look like a smeary mess.

roberto188

That's fine. As long as I can adjust things I have no issue. I can do it in the config. But please keep the code that limits the frame doubling to 60fps. Thanks.

Edited by roberto188

x-cimo

Well I think it's debatable whether or not you'd want higher resolution or better deinterlacing. We do know device capabilities but this is a whole new kind of conditional. We weren't really expecting all of this work when we agreed to add the setting. I think it is best to just take it out of the UI and allow you to continue to use it via the config file. That means you'll potentially have to adjust quality manually to resolve these kinds of scenarios.

Or put more info about the potential issues of using the feature. (E.g: may cause shuttering on Roku, chromecast etc).  But in the end if there is still a way to turn it on for user who want too I think that's what's important.

I did not expect the framerate to double when I turn this feature on. (I guess that's how yadif work?).  Chromecast Ultra support 1080p@60hz, I'll buy thoses next time.

Something I'll add.  Instead of the 3rd parameter being 0 you could use 1 instead.
This way no probe is needed and yadif deinterlacing will only apply to frames that are interlaced.  I use this in my scripts and it works really well.  

deint
Specify which frames to deinterlace. Accept one of the following values:
0, all
Deinterlace all frames.

1, interlaced
Only deinterlace frames marked as interlaced.

More and more devices can handle 1080 60fps but it is a problem for early Chromecasts and Roku's up to version 3.  For these devices I believe they all handle 720p/60fps.

What we could do is a conditional branch, when Bob & Weave is selected. For "known devices" that can't handle 1080p/60fps we could look at the device/type and if it's in a list then we would switch the resolution to 720 instead of using 1080.

We could then have a text field that admins could edit such as: "Roku 1", "Roku 2", "Roku 3", etc

All known devices could have the branching in the code itself like the original ChromeCasts and Rokus.  The admin could use this field for additional devices.  As we find these devices we could edit our system to handle them PLUS report them back here in the forums so these devices could be added to the conditional branching built it.

Something like this would take the pressure off of Emby, giving full control to the admin.

Something like this would take the pressure off of Emby, giving full control to the admin.

Unfortunately, "giving full control to the admin" is exactly what puts pressure on us because people then enter things into these fields or select these options and, when things don't work, they come out here and say it is broken or simply give up.

I know you'll probably think something like "well that's their problem" but, unfortunately, it isn't.  It is ours :).  Plus it adds an incredible amount of support load on us because we have to start trouble shooting all the possible paths based on all of these custom options people could potentially select.

The transcoding user permissions are a perfect example. It says right underneath that taking away the permissions can cause playback failures, and yet we still are constantly troubleshooting "not working" issue reports.

roberto188

I hear your guys points. That's why perhaps making these options available only by digging into a config file or something would be fine with me. I keeps the people who don't know what they are doing from trying. Also, just in general alot of programme now just have UI toggle "advanced" that allows note features to be accessed. Maybe this is a way to keep people from unknowingly breaking things.

• 2 months later...
fozter

which file do i need to configure and what line needs to be added if i would like to enable bobbing(yadif=1 or other deinterlacer)?

I do know for a fact that ffmpeg now supports weave/bob/adaptive deinterlacing through nvencs decoder. That would solve the problem of high

cpu load if you're planning to add this feature again in a future version.

Edited by fozter

You'd have to locate the encoding.xml config file and then set DeinterlaceMethod to bobandweave

fozter

You'd have to locate the encoding.xml config file and then set DeinterlaceMethod to bobandweave

Got it! Thank you =)