Live TV Deinterlace Method Option

roberto188

• 2 weeks later...
Baenwort

Or if you want to restrict it to people able to support themselves or at least able to searchfu their way around problems a .ini or other text file that adventurous admins could edit to change some of the flags like this would be nice.

This is being added for the next release of Emby Server. Please note, it won't affect whether transcoding happens or not, or whether deinterlacing happens or not, only the deinterlacing method. Thanks.

• Like 2

roberto188

Firstly, on my iPhone, this looks amazing.

The issue comes in for the Roku 1, 2, & 3. Roku 1, 2 & 3 all choke on 1080p 60 fps content, so I changed the bitrate down to 4 Megabits to sort of "force" emby to transcode to 720p, which worked, the video played back at 60fps and everything was very smooth, except that 4 megabits is a low bitrate for 720p 60fps. If I bump the bitrate in the roku app to 8 mega bits, emby then automatically transcodes to 1080, which brings me back to my original problem. I have asked the roku devs to allow a resolution selection AND a bitrate selection, so that I can get somehting like 8 megabits and 720p. 

Also, forcing the yadif=-1,1,0 means that ALL content is double frame rated, meaning that my 60fps progressive channels are now doubled to 120fps, which again the Roku chokes on.

Ideally, the check box for "bob & weave" should only change the first parameter in yadif to -1 if the content is 1080 fps and 30fps. The only content out there @ 1080 and 30fps is interlaced TV. Blueray is either 24fps or 60fps. Do you think this can be enabled? 

Edited by roberto188
  • Like 1

You guys are awesome...thanks for adding this feature!  The channels that use 1080i look so much better now (especially sports games).  The FireTV plays things just fine and I set my Roku to 4 Mbit/sec and it plays just fine as well.  Having the ability to adjust these settings is key to making this work across multiple devices, so thank you again!

xnappo

@@Luke - know it is a corner case - but those of us with FireTV and HDHR extend are stuck with no go de-interlace solution, but no need to reduce bittate.  I would very much like a 'always deinterlace interlaced content' setting!

xnappo

We already do if it is detected as interlaced.

Wait - really?  So regardless of bitrate if the source is interlaced it will automatically transcode?  That is great - I was overthinking it last time I tried to do something about this.  Will check it out.

Wait - really?  So regardless of bitrate if the source is interlaced it will automatically transcode?  That is great - I was overthinking it last time I tried to do something about this.  Will check it out.

If that is what the app is requesting, yes.

roberto188

The root cause of the doubling frame rate for progressive channels is that throughout Emby, TV is always assumed to be interlaced (which it isn't). Yadif has a built in check so that if the material isn't interlaced, it essential does nothing. So up to this point it wasn't an issue. But now with frame doubling ("bob and weave" option done through yadif), always enabling yadif will always double the frame rate regardless of whether or not the TV content is actually interlaced or not, because Emby treats it as such. Instead of always assuming the TV content is interlaced, it should first check whether or not to even use yadif in the encoding. Please pull the interlace or progressive flag from the TV stream meta data to either use yadif or not. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
roberto188

Just an FYI. The latest emby server broke the "Bob and weave" option. Ticked or not, the framerate is never doubled. Thanks!

We're not probing the live stream anymore therefore we don't have the information ahead of time to make this decision. I had forgotten about that. Therefore, we will just have to go back to either having it always on or always off, or possibly even just removing the setting if it's going to cause us too much troubleshooting.

The only other thing I can think of is an ffmpeg expression so that we can tell it to make the decision on the fly so that we don't need the information ahead of time.

roberto188

Disappointing. I guess TV will always look like crap on the Roku. If this doesn't get implemented correctly on the server side the only other thing would be to have the Roku app have an option that can toggle the type of deinterlace. Is this possible?

So that means an on the fly transcoding change. Yes it's possible although we'd start with the web app.

Right now though I have to take away the new setting but if it's going to be causing failures then we can't have it in the UI.

tdiguy

Anything that increases cpu demand on the pi for transcoding would be less than desirable. My pi only runs raspbian stretch ( the os ) and emby server and it can't quite transcode without me having to pause it. If this has to be implemented across the board is there a way that the armf architectures could be excluded? 

roberto188

Luke, I appreciate the support.

I do however want to express a bit of frustration. The main function of Emby as a media server is to provide streamed video at a quality acceptable to the user. To me, all the other bells and whistles, which are nice, are just that, bells and whistles. The failure of the server to properly handle interlaced content and serve it up to a progressive display only client is a glaring shortcoming. You guys truly have done an amazing job supporting dozens of platforms so I get that fixing this issue for Roku users who stream live TV isn't number 1 on the priority list, but I feel like ignoring it is simply admitting that the implementation is half baked. I don't want to add a feature that is going to break normal usage for 95% of the users, but simply having the option to toggle the frame rate doubling (which some underpowered servers won't be able to handle) I think should stay with the way the server handles the content in the first place being corrected. Frankly, the idea that people would use a raspberry pi or some other ridiculously old/underpowered hardware to try and transcode content is to me, ridiculous, and should not be the reason that properly trans coding content is ignored as a implemented core component of the server. I'll stop here. I think you get the picture. I support you guys 100% and am grateful of all the work you guys have done and look forward to one day streaming my sports on Roku in beautiful 60fps. 

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to. 

roberto188

Is it only roku devices that have this issue? I have no problems with interlacing on my fire tv's.

No it is not exclusive to the ROKU. Any progressive only device has this issue. I believe the FireTV also cannot deinterlace. It is very possible you are just "used to" the movie like motion of 30 fps, however its is not the proper representation of TV. Also different channels are presented differently. For example, MLB network and ESPN are in 720p 60fps, so Emby transcodes to 720p 60fps and so sports look great on the ROKU. The problem comes in when channels like MSG or SNY (for you new york fans) broadcast in 1080i. Emby then transcodes to 1080p 30fps and you get severe motion blur due to the frame rate halving. 

• 2 weeks later...

Please help me understand where this stands. I have two extend home run devices and I'm frustrated with Plex because of the lack of Dolby Digital on my Fire TV and the interlacing issues on the 1080i channels. So I found this thread and had hopes that I could resolve my interlacing problems on NBC and CBS but I'm not experiencing any better picture quality as I still see the interlacing lines.

I've tried no encoding on my extend as well as heavy encoding and I have Bob and weave enabled in the transcoding settings within Emby. Am I doing something wrong or is this as good as it gets?

Thanks for your help, you seem to have a great community.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk