Missing local trailers when information is present in movie.xml

Guest jbotwood

Guest jbotwood

Hello,

I've just been checking through all my movie metadata and found a large number of movies where the movie.xml file contains a trailer URL pointing to a valid URL where I can manually open my browser and view the trailer, however the trailer has not been downloaded by the trailers plugin and is never downloaded no matter how many time I run the refresh trailers scheduled task

I had this problem on my old MB3 server but never bothered to research it properly. I have now moved my movie storage to a new computer so this is a 100% clean installation of MB3 server

For example here is a trailer that has downloaded successfully:

<Trailers>
    <Trailer>http ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MB3Ea6L-gw</Trailer>
  </Trailers>

And here is a trailer that does NOT download:

American Beauty (1999):

<Trailers>
    <Trailer>http ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ycmmJ6rxA8</Trailer>
  </Trailers>

Here is another example of one that hasn't downloaded, but the movie.xml actually has 3 trailer links in it. I'm not sure what the plugin should be doing when there is more than one trailer - in this case nothing has downloaded but all 3 URLs are totally valid trailer videos:

Avengers (2012):

<Trailers>
    <Trailer>http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOrNdBpGMv8</Trailer>
    <Trailer>http ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIR8Ar-Z4hw</Trailer>
    <Trailer>http ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGt-saFvkNk</Trailer>
  </Trailers>

So what's up? The movie.xml data looks fine to me but the plugin isn't downloading them. I have attached a screenshot of my trailers plugin configuration. I am running server Version 3.0.5135.31685

Please if anyone can help that would be great and if you need any further information don't hesitate to ask

Cheers,

Jeff
Edited by jbotwood

Guest jbotwood

I have deliberaltely put a spaces in each trailer URL after the http: because my post was actually embedding the trailer links in the message, and obviously I want to show the XML content, so if you need to check out these links remember to remove the space after http: and before //

Edited by jbotwood

We don't download trailers from YouTube as that is actually illegal in the US and we are trying to stay completely legit in that regard.

Guest jbotwood

Ok well that's interesting to know but why are there links to YouTube trailers in the XML files created by the MB server media scan?

Where are the trailers actually downloaded from then?

I apologise if I am completely misunderstanding how the software works, I'm just looking around at stuff and trying to figure it out for myself!

The links are there because we can play them back in some clients.  The web client, for instance will show you these and allow you to play them.  We just don't download them to your machine for you to have and hold yourself.

I know the web seems like one huge place of free stuff but there are actually businesses that are providing a lot of that "stuff" and the framework upon which it is running and delivered.  It isn't free it is just paid for by someone else.  

The way these businesses can do this is through selling "time" to advertisers by convincing them that they will get your attention for some brief moment while you are looking at their content.  This is done by forcing you to view this content through their facilities. Specifically with YouTube that is using their web site or sanctioned player.

This is why their TOS are written specifically forbidding the direct download of content and/or the playback of their content via any means other than their sanctioned players.  Because, without this, they can't sell to the advertisers, which means they can't pay for the content or the infrastructure to house and deliver it which then means they go out of business and no one gets anything.

Sorry, don't mean to lecture but I feel these simple truths are completely lost on the average internet user who simply believes that all of this stuff is free and they should be able to have it at no cost.

In reality there is a ton of free stuff out here on the great wild web (MB, for instance) but it all only works because of the business engine that exists underneath.

Again, this rant is not directed at you, or anyone in particular - just something I think a lot of people don't think about.

Guest jbotwood

OK thanks, so I now understand that the trailer links in the XML files have nothing to do the with the local trailers plug-in and I understand why due to all the legal stuff etc - I will disregard this information in the XML from now on. I made an assumption that my local trailer download must have been the same trailer in the URL in the XML file. Clearly it is not

I guess I should re-define what my original problem is then - for various movies I don't get local trailers downloaded and I would like to know why this is and where I can go to to actually download them manually or even if there is anything I can do on some website to make sure that a 'missing/fixed' trailer for my film would then download for anyone else with the same film

Are there any log files I can look at to see more information about how the software is locating trailers?

Edited by jbotwood

GhostRider

I have never downloaded a trailer but they are often included on the actual DVD for the movie. If the trailer is on the DVD I just add this into the movie folder as moviename-trailer and the client then automatically adds an icon to playback the local trailer.

The trailers plug-in sources it's trailers from Apple.  Most of them have an Apple watermark.

I think there are several sites on the net from which you can source trailers and GhostRider's suggestion is good too.  There are also tools out there that will help you get trailers from even YT.  

• 1 year later...

This is an interesting topic.

I personally have no interest in downloading and storing trailers on my system. I would however like to watch a trailer when choosing a movie to watch. Having an option for my emby client to pass me to a sanctioned YouTube app/channel (I.e roku, fire tv, ios, kodi (although I don't know if this one is 'sanctioned'), etc) would be very helpful.

As mentioned, the trailer links are already stored in the metadata, would it not just be as simple as passing that to another app?

Cheers,

This is an interesting topic.

I personally have no interest in downloading and storing trailers on my system. I would however like to watch a trailer when choosing a movie to watch. Having an option for my emby client to pass me to a sanctioned YouTube app/channel (I.e roku, fire tv, ios, kodi (although I don't know if this one is 'sanctioned'), etc) would be very helpful.

As mentioned, the trailer links are already stored in the metadata, would it not just be as simple as passing that to another app?

Cheers,

Yes, when such app is available on the system. You can also try the Trailer channel.

• 1 month later...
nadforever

I was getting the trailers to play. As a stream. Now that my mcafee thought emby was a virus it quarantined it and some other files. I thought I recovered everything and tdmit to exclude it from future scams well since then all movies that had the link. Will not show up in windows media center emby Classic. Like it used too. Any ideas?

nadforever

ok i looked at some of the most recent movies i downloaded.  The youtube links are in the metadata file .xml.  but still i go to media center and emby classic and that same movie dosnt not have a trailer icon in it.     ?????

nadforever

Not sure how then. Cause I would check and there was

Never a trailer folder in any of the movies folders. But some how had a trailer. Icon and it would play. I always seem it play what ever YouTube link that was in the xml file. So now in

Really confused

nadforever

Also have noticed. That I believe media browser was downloading content like background content and such automatically. That to it is no longer doing. I have reinstalled the server with still no luck.

Also have noticed. That I believe media browser was downloading content like background content and such automatically. That to it is no longer doing. I have reinstalled the server with still no luck.

Not sure to what, exactly, you are referring but Emby does not download any content.  There was a brief period where we allowed downloading certain channel content but we don't do that anymore.

nadforever

I thought it downloads meta data. Like the xml. And. Images box, cover, backgrounds. There is a setting that says save images and such??...

Yes, we download metadata and images.  I interpreted your use of the word "content" to mean media content (video files).  Sorry.

Specifically, with regard to trailers - a long time ago we used to get backdrops for them but that changed when they were moved to be a "Channel".

nadforever

Yea Not sure either. Don't think plex was adding anything to the folder. But. I would get backgrounds, banner, disc image and a cover image in the main movie folder

Then it would add two folders inside that extrafanart, and extrathumbs.