Unable to connect to Emby from a particular internet location

NANO SHELL

NANO SHELL

Hi,

Trying to access Emby from my neighbours house but for some reason I am unable to access my server. After I log in and select the correct server, it just stays on black screen loading (both Laptop and phone app). If I change my phone to Mobile data, it works fine. Internet speed is a consistent 35Mb/s using Cable Internet. Just wondering if there is anything that needs changing perhaps in the modem settings? I have tried looking but not sure what I am looking for. I have uploaded a server log but unsure if it says anything about the issue. 

Thanks.

Log.txt

NANO SHELL

@Luke 

Do you have any suggestions for this by any chance? 

Edited by NANO SHELL

NANO SHELL

Hey. None of these worked at the particular location. Works fine of mobile network but not on an external WiFi.

overClocked!

What were the exact results of the Connection Troubleshooter? Have you tried connecting from a different wifi network not at your neighbor's location? Could be your neighbor's ISP or firewall is blocking the port communications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NANO SHELL

Trying to remote access through the External address as well as Emby Connect both come to a black loading screed. I have port forwarding set up and have tested it works on other Wi-Fi networks. Works internally on my own network as well as via mobile network. It seems that it is on their particular Wi-Fi network it does this. It never gives an error message...Just never loads after selecting my server after logging in. Their internet speed is a consistent 35Mb/s Cable internet on the same ISP (Telstra) as myself with the exact modem as myself (Telstra Gateway Max). I have a feeling it may be a setting but I have poured through the settings and I am unable to find any difference in setup. 

Tur0k

Is it the same subnet in both local LANs? Example: both of your network's are setup 192.168.1.0/24.

NANO SHELL

Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 on my network which is usually a default. So I would imagine it would be the same on my neighbours Wi-Fi like most others that access my server. As far as I know. 

Tur0k

Sorry I meant network subnet. Every IP address has two sides. The first side is the network subnet. The second part is the node address. You used the subnet mask to determine where the network subnet is and where is the node address is. 255.255.255.0 means that your node address starts at the last dot. What is the IP address of the server?

Edited by Tur0k

NANO SHELL

IP address of the server is 192.168.0.15 on my network and my public IP is 121.xxx.xxx.xxx. I hope that is what you mean haha. Not the best at networking.

Edited by Happy2Play
removed external ip

NANO SHELL

I will have to double check that at my neighbours tomorrow as it is near 3am in Australia. That being said...I tried this on my Telstra Mobile network on my Samsung S6 Edge and it says the port is closed yet I can still access Emby via the App and via the Chrome app. Is this different through Mobile networks? Will check the neighbours Wi-Fi tomorrow. 

RobWayBro

I am also having the issue that web access to my Emby server works fine (even using a browser in Android), on port 8096 but Emby Connect nor my Android app will open my server.  canyouseeme on port 8096 (and 8920) are successful.

Thanks

NANO SHELL

Ok so I have done the test at thy neighbours crib and found that port 8096 does come up with an error when trying to access. Is this a setting that can be changed in the modem or do they have to contact their ISP?

overClocked!

The canyonseeme.org results are only applicable at the location where the server resides (your house). Your neighbor does not need the port opened at their location.

I can think of a few things:

1). Is your neighbor's home still somewhat in range of your home wifi? Make sure you disconnect completely from your home wifi network on your personal devices while you are at their place, or you might just be encountering a weak signal.

2). This goes with what tur0k was trying to say...does your neighbor's local area network subnet match the one you use on your server's local area network? (192.168.0.x)? If it does, that could explain things. Your device may be trying to resolve the server locally on your neighbor's network, which of course cannot find because it's not there. You want to force your Emby clients to resolve your server on your home's public IP WAN address when you are away from home, which Emby connect should be doing. But if your subnets match, then it may be assuming that the server is local to your neighbor's wifi network.

As a test, try the option to select sever, then add your public ip as the server address instead and see if you are able to get through.

Happy2Play

Using your external ip listed above, I get a black screen for almost 20 seconds before the login screen appears.

overClocked!

Yeah. There doesn't appear to be nothing wrong with your port forwarding. Your Emby login screen can be reached immediately from here. So you should check to make sure Emby Connect isn't confusing your neighbor's local network for your own if they happen to use the same IP address scheme. Try bypassing (skip) Emby Connect and log in manually to your server instead using your WAN IP address.

zigzagtshirt

Hi,

Trying to access Emby from my neighbours house but for some reason I am unable to access my server. After I log in and select the correct server, it just stays on black screen loading (both Laptop and phone app). If I change my phone to Mobile data, it works fine. Internet speed is a consistent 35Mb/s using Cable Internet. Just wondering if there is anything that needs changing perhaps in the modem settings? I have tried looking but not sure what I am looking for. I have uploaded a server log but unsure if it says anything about the issue. 

Thanks.

When switching between network connections outside of my home network (e.g., wifi to mobile data, or vise versa) I have experienced a similar issue on my Android devices.  Normally killing the app and opening it again fixes it.  Sometimes I have to clear the App cache in the settings.  Looking through the logs, I could see that the app was trying to connect to the server on an ip/subnet that it currently did not have access to.  Hence an app restart or cache clearing will force it forget the ip that is not available.  

Edited by zigzagtshirt

• 2 months later...
NANO SHELL

When switching between network connections outside of my home network (e.g., wifi to mobile data, or vise versa) I have experienced a similar issue on my Android devices.  Normally killing the app and opening it again fixes it.  Sometimes I have to clear the App cache in the settings.  Looking through the logs, I could see that the app was trying to connect to the server on an ip/subnet that it currently did not have access to.  Hence an app restart or cache clearing will force it forget the ip that is not available.  

Sorry for late reply...Haven't had much of a chance to go further with this til now. It is nothing to do with the app itself. It is the network itself. 

NANO SHELL

Yeah. There doesn't appear to be nothing wrong with your port forwarding. Your Emby login screen can be reached immediately from here. So you should check to make sure Emby Connect isn't confusing your neighbor's local network for your own if they happen to use the same IP address scheme. Try bypassing (skip) Emby Connect and log in manually to your server instead using your WAN IP address.

Tried this. I get Connection failure.

NANO SHELL

The canyonseeme.org results are only applicable at the location where the server resides (your house). Your neighbor does not need the port opened at their location.

I can think of a few things:

1). Is your neighbor's home still somewhat in range of your home wifi? Make sure you disconnect completely from your home wifi network on your personal devices while you are at their place, or you might just be encountering a weak signal.

2). This goes with what tur0k was trying to say...does your neighbor's local area network subnet match the one you use on your server's local area network? (192.168.0.x)? If it does, that could explain things. Your device may be trying to resolve the server locally on your neighbor's network, which of course cannot find because it's not there. You want to force your Emby clients to resolve your server on your home's public IP WAN address when you are away from home, which Emby connect should be doing. But if your subnets match, then it may be assuming that the server is local to your neighbor's wifi network.

As a test, try the option to select sever, then add your public ip as the server address instead and see if you are able to get through.

Is there a way of changing my neighbours subnet?

NANO SHELL

If I enter 121.208.72.87:8096 into the URL bar, it starts to load as if it is logged in but...It goes nowhere

Edited by NANO SHELL

• 2 years later...

Hi. Did you figure out this problem? I'm having the exact same problem with my neighbours network. External access works on all other WiFi and mobile networks I have tried.

Hi. Did you figure out this problem? I'm having the exact same problem with my neighbours network. External access works on all other WiFi and mobile networks I have tried.

@@oyvhov Perhaps ISP port blocking on their end?