DS416play Hardware Transcoding

myztiq

myztiq

Hello! I recently setup my DS416play with emby and I've noticed it's eating up quite a bit of CPU when transcoding which totally makes sense since I've not enabled the hardware level transcoding. Before I do, I wanted to know if anyone has the 416lay (or DS216play) and has had success with the intel hardware acceleration.

Has anyone seen any details on how to enable and verify that hardware transcoding is working? I know it's a beta feature.

myztiq

720p, H264, 5.1, AC3, MKV format, 775.9 MB on disk - Do you have any specific details you'd like about the video file?

I found it was using about 40% of my CPU the entire time it was streaming.

I was streaming it to an iPhone at the time, but I also regularly stream to the AppleTV and have similar issues.

infinity06

Ahh, ok i thought maybe you were trying to stream an ISO or MKV.. Unfortunately i wouldn't be able to help but i can tell you they will want you to post the logs from Emby server. 

mikeraburn

I have the DS216play with;

CPU STM STiH412

CPU Arch 32-bit

Dual Core 1.5GHz

1 GB DDR

This may be of no use but,

I have not checked the cpu usage when using Emby Server with my Roku Ultra , Blue Neon.

All I have package wise is Emby Server, File Station, and Universal Search.

I just logged in remotely to my server and saw this. I live alone so no one is home using it for anything internally.

CPU usage bouncing between 3% and 8%

Ram 58%

That all seems normal to me.

I do know when I was doing my initial scans (no streaming) the CPU was getting up to the 90% area BUT that was with all of the scrapers running.

I wasn't smart and left on the subtitles and chapter image scrapers.

• Like 1

myztiq

Right, I forgot the DS216play is AMD arch.

The DS416play has:

INTEL Celeron N3060 @ 1.6ghz

1 GB DDR

64 Bit CPU Arch

I have not yet found the exact specs for the hardware acceleration, which is the bit that I'm seeking out to see if it will help. I have a few more services running on mine, but I'm really aiming to be able to steam to 2-3 devices at a time. The Synology branded media browser can transcode a video without skipping a beat because it's using the hardware acceleration.

mikeraburn

You made me go look at usage while streaming.

This is just using the emby server package and a Roku Ultra.

A x265, mkv, 2 channel acc.

Cpu was holding at 8% and ram usage at about 35%.

Not a very beefy file but I was curious.

TapTalk

mikeraburn

You made me go look at usage while streaming.

This is just using the emby server package and a Roku Ultra.

A x265, mkv, 2 channel acc.

Cpu was holding at 8% and ram usage at about 35%.

Not a very beefy file but I was curious.

TapTalk

720p also and no transcoding. I was using blue neon on the Roku

TapTalk

myztiq

I'm running a few more services, and mine idles around 80% ram usage and 1% cpu. I've ordered a RAM upgrade which should arrive today, once I put that in, maybe my transcoding issues won't be bad because it can use a ton more memory. 1gb -> 8gb for $58, not bad.

myztiq

So when trying to stream a 720p mkv file my CPU gets maxed out. I've plenty of RAM available now, which helps a ton when doing multiple streams of lower quality videos.

58d757a7c9382_ScreenShot20170325at105105

solabc16

Hello @@myztiq

Have you enabled h/w transcoding support under Manager Server -> Transcoding -> Hardware Acceleration: Video Acceleration API?

If you go to Emby Server in Package Center and click 'View Log', look for the line 'Looking for DRM devices : ".

You'll find it a couple of lines after the package startup messages, let me know what it says.

Best

- James

• Like 1

myztiq

Thank you James!

I had not yet, I was unsure which of the options to enable. I enabled and restarted the server. It looks like on startup of video streaming the CPU does spike, but it seems to settle down as time goes on.

So, I'm unsure if I need to enable anything to get you better logs, however:

[2017-04-03 06:44:37 UTC] >> Looking for DRM devices: FOUND
[2017-04-03 06:44:37 UTC] >> Launch command [env PATH=/var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/utilities/sbin:/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/mono/bin:/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin:/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/imagemagick/bin:/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/sqlite/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/syno/sbin:/usr/syno/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/3rdparty/shared:/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/lib /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/mono/bin/mono /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -package synology -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffprobe -restartpath /var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/restart 1>> /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/logs/embysvr.stdout 2>> /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/logs/embysvr.stderr & echo $! > /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/embysvr.pid;].

myztiq

Oh, this may... help. My stderr file has this piece of logging for ffmpeg:

ffmpeg version 3.2.4-20170217T125043UTC Copyright (c) 2000-2017 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 5.4.0 (GCC)
  configuration: --prefix=/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg --enable-cross-compile --cross-prefix=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- --target-os=linux --disable-rpath --arch=x86_64 --enable-libzimg --enable-libmfx --enable-vaapi --enable-yasm --enable-gpl --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-debug --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver --disable-doc --disable-htmlpages --disable-manpages --disable-podpages --disable-txtpages --enable-gnutls --enable-libass --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxvid --enable-libfreetype --enable-fontconfig --enable-gray --enable-libfribidi --enable-libvidstab --disable-indev=sndio --disable-outdev=sndio --extra-version=20170217T125043UTC --extra-libs='-lm -ldl -lrt -lpthread -llzma -lz -lstdc++ '
  libavutil      55. 34.101 / 55. 34.101
  libavcodec     57. 64.101 / 57. 64.101
  libavformat    57. 56.101 / 57. 56.101
  libavdevice    57.  1.100 / 57.  1.100
  libavfilter     6. 65.100 /  6. 65.100
  libswscale      4.  2.100 /  4.  2.100
  libswresample   2.  3.100 /  2.  3.100
  libpostproc    54.  1.100 / 54.  1.100