All beta testers please answer this...

ebr

During video playback, the standard behavior of the box is for the "*" key to produce that horrible (:)) stock dialog for dealing with audio/subs.

In the beta app, I was able to design a system that trapped that and brought you to our own dialog that allows you to more intuitively (IMO) control the audio and subs as well as see full proper titles for the tracks.

This has worked great for me in testing on my old Roku 3 but I noticed the other day on my Roku Premiere that it doesn't work properly.  You get BOTH our dialog and the stock one (which is now a slide out panel from the left) and have to back out of the stock one in order to interact with ours.

My question to you guys is which behavior do you see and which box and firmware are you on?  If this is a widespread change on their part with a firmware update, then we may be screwed and not able to use our better presentation in this instance.

Please post your results in this thread.  Thanks.

Guest Grace1313

You are right, your screen looks so much nicer.

Roku 3 - 7.5

I only get the roku screen

Premiere - 7.5.1

I get Emby over roku

Edited by Grace1313

Roku 3 - 7.5

I only get the roku screen

Really?  That should never be the case.  You should either get only ours or both...

Guest Grace1313

I checked a different 3, same thing. I'm on 3.0.9.

Also on premiere, my experience was i didn't have to back out of stock dialog, yours had control first.

Edited by Grace1313

KeyserSoze1

Sharp Roku TV - 7.5

I see both and have to back out of the stock dialog before I get to the Emby dialog.

Koleckai Silvestri

Really?  That should never be the case.  You should either get only ours or both...

Only saw the default Roku screen as of a minute ago. Don't know when you updated it.

Roku 3 Firmware 7.5 Build 4099

I really don't have a preference between the two as long as I can select Subtitles and they play immediately. Most of the time, I have to select them then pass the video to get them to play. However, they should just follow the settings on my account and play 100% of the time when I am logged in.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Well, they've obviously made it so that I can no longer trap that key press.  Quite unfortunate.  Thanks.

Well, they've obviously made it so that I can no longer trap that key press. Quite unfortunate. Thanks.

Cant you still do it through the popup you have now, tied to the ok button? Then use the little audio & subtitle icons under the slider and the user can still change it with your presentation.

Cant you still do it through the popup you have now, tied to the ok button? Then use the little audio & subtitle icons under the slider and the user can still change it with your presentation.

Yes, we will still have that interface but that requires re-training people used to the Roku player to do it a different way.

Guest Grace1313

Like anything else, we'll get used to it after a while. I'd really rather have every app have its own distinct features and not just roku stock. I may be in the minority though.

mikeraburn

Old Dogs can learn New Tricks.

I learn something new every 12 hours.

TapTalk

grangerg

Roku 4230X (Roku 3) Version 7.5.0 build 4099-04

Emby for Roku Version 3.0 build 9

During playback, I get identical behavior when I press the "*" key, the {down-arrow} button, or the "OK" button. I see a pop-up that slides-up from the bottom of the screen. I press the {back} button to dismiss the dialog.

Roku 4230X (Roku 3) Version 7.5.0 build 4099-04

Emby for Roku Version 3.0 build 9

During playback, I get identical behavior when I press the "*" key, the {down-arrow} button, or the "OK" button. I see a pop-up that slides-up from the bottom of the screen. I press the {back} button to dismiss the dialog.

Okay, so that must mean that the item you were playing had no subtitles and only one audio stream...?

Guest Grace1313

Okay, so that must mean that the item you were playing had no subtitles and only one audio stream...?

yes, that's what is happening on mine.  If there is no subtitle, it brings up the info screen on the bottom.

yes, that's what is happening on mine.  If there is no subtitle, it brings up the info screen on the bottom.

Yeah, that is by design but means that my trapping of the "*" key is working in some instances but not others...

grangerg

Yes. (I transcode all of my video to m4v so the Roku can play w/o requiring Emby to do any transcoding on the fly.)

I went and loaded an original .mkv file into a library (it has 2 subtitle tracks and 4 audio tracks). That gives me the same effective behavior. The difference is that, in the slide-up/pop-up, there's additional icons below the progress-bar that are selectable with the arrow-buttons and OK button.

I went and loaded an original .mkv file into a library (it has 2 subtitle tracks and 4 audio tracks). That gives me the same effective behavior. The difference is that, in the slide-up/pop-up, there's additional icons below the progress-bar that are selectable with the arrow-buttons and OK button.

That is what happens when you hit the "*" key on your remote?  That should happen if you hit up, down or ok but not "*"...

grangerg

That is what happens when you hit the "*" key on your remote?  That should happen if you hit up, down or ok but not "*"...

Shoot! Sorry about that.

Yes, the behavior you were expecting is what happened. I got sidetracked trying to find a useful .mkv.  During playback, when I press up/down/OK, I continue to get the slide-up menu. But if I instead use '*', I get a little menu that pops-up in the middle of the screen that asks me to choose audio vs subtitles (I do *not* get the stock slide-up at all.). When I pick either of those 2 options, I get the same menu/pop-up in the middle of the screen that I would have ultimately gotten to had I tried to choose audio vs subtitles from the slide-up.

Shoot! Sorry about that.

Yes, the behavior you were expecting is what happened. I got sidetracked trying to find a useful .mkv.  During playback, when I press up/down/OK, I continue to get the slide-up menu. But if I instead use '*', I get a little menu that pops-up in the middle of the screen that asks me to choose audio vs subtitles (I do *not* get the stock slide-up at all.). When I pick either of those 2 options, I get the same menu/pop-up in the middle of the screen that I would have ultimately gotten to had I tried to choose audio vs subtitles from the slide-up.

Okay, that's exactly how it is supposed to work and it also works on my Roku 3 running that same firmware.

Unfortunately, it  looks like maybe they've broken it in later firmware updates.

• 2 weeks later...
wkellyo

Roku Ultra 4K,  FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 running Emby 3.2.7.0   Pressing * gets a menu sliding from left side towards middle. Also underneath a pop up menu for audio choices. pushing back arrow on roku remote dismisses each one at a time. 

Roku Ultra 4K,  FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 running Emby 3.2.7.0   Pressing * gets a menu sliding from left side towards middle. Also underneath a pop up menu for audio choices. pushing back arrow on roku remote dismisses each one at a time. 

Yep, that's what I see on the new devices as well which is quite unfortunate :(.

Thanks for reporting in.