The End of the NOW TV boxes

Swynol

Swynol

Well Sky have finally caught on. There recent forced update has removed developer mode and any apps side loaded....

This is such a shame as i have 3 of these boxes for emby which are now useless.

Swynol

if your devices havent had the update yet i recommend blocking them from having internet access so that they dont auto update.

bennycassimo

My Now TV box with emby installed was working great, done a router reset and now it has disconnected . Anyone help??

Swynol

if its updated to the latest software then yes unfortunately no more developer mode to side load apps. some people have had luck by changing the update server in the settings. I'm not at home to test mine but i have created a firewall rule to block internet access to the NOW tv boxes. hopefully i might be able to save some.

otherwise its time to look at Roku or maybe android TV boxes.

Swynol

yes it removes or stops them from working. You can still access the developer mode from a web browser but it fails to sideload anything.

here is something i have seen elsewhere

Something i found interesting tonight, while playing around in advanced settings i discovered that changing the channel store server to a certain one appears to prevent the box from being able to call home or receive updates. However it comes at a huge cost and it would only benefit those people who us their black box for plex and only plex and want to try prevent NowTVs plan to remove dev mode and is an alternative way of doing it in your router (which many people cant do).

Be warned that i have tried this only on the 'standard black box', not the white one, not the smart one and if you do this you will loose all apps on your box except the developer app, that means nowtv, bbc, itv, all4, 5 etc will be gone. It will also remove the nowtv overview pages (the main homepage advertising programmes and the second option showing the recent programmes for the 5 channels). You be left with the apps page with only plex, a non usable app store and the settings page! You will not be able to access the app store and/or install any other apps. Further more it will take a factory reset to restore your box back to normal (via th epin method or settings menu), simply unpluging it or restarting it will not do the trick. (on a side note it also means you can safely unplug the box without it reverting backto its full capacity on next power up).

Proceed at your own peril.

First sign out of the nowtv app and then return to the homepage. Press Home x 5 + FF x 3 + RW x 2 on the remote to get a secret settings page. Scroll to the 'cycle channel store server' option and press ok until it displays "api.staging2.roku.com". Press home button, then restart the box via the option in the settings page. After restart try a manual update, it should take much longer than normal and eventually gives up as a fail. (no error is displayed).

Whether this will last i dont know. The boxes are designed to call home so maybe after a while of not being able to do so they will get suspicious and fail to work and you'll be forced to factory reset - only time will tell. The other thing that could happen is that they decide to push updates down this currently non working server. (OVTR test showed no responce but its possible this is only temporary).

CBers

So basically, bin the Now TV boxes and buy a Roku.

It'll solve an issue for Emby with people asking for the new Roku App to be installable on the Now TV box :)

CBers

Why not just get a real Roku? they're cheap enough now.

Yes, but the Now TV box was sold at a stupidly low price to get customers to buy into the the Sky TV notion, plus as a side effect, it was a cheap box to run Emby on.

Now that apps can't be side-loaded, people won't bother and go elsewhere.

There are better devices available now than Roku's.

Swynol

ye these were £10 boxes compared to the £50+ roku boxes which did the same thing. Luckily none of mine have updated and managed to firewall them. 

• Like 1

mastrmind11

How and where do I get Roku??

The Google might have something about that

• Like 1

Jdiesel

If you are on a budget the latest versions on the Roku 2 and Roku 3, now discontinued, are great however they are getting harder and harder to find. The newest Premiere models work well and support hvec too which is nice but there has been some minor firmware bugs lately that may or may not affect you.

I use a Premiere+ at home, one of my brothers uses a Roku 3 and a Roku 2, and another brother uses the latest streaming stick. All seem to work well with Emby. 

Edited by Jdiesel

mikeraburn

FYI

As a show of solidarity with my UK "brothers and sisters", I am uninstalling the SKY NEWS app from my Roku.

(but I am not foregoing series 2 of Fortitude, sorry)

• Like 1

dredd1963

That's me down now, will have to dig out my noisy optiplex and set that up and decide what app to use. It's too early in the year to make these decisions lol.

As a blue neon moon use i would to thank speechles for his time and effort he put into his app.