Subtitle size and color

supermau

I can’t find subtitle size/color adjustments on Emby’s Android TV app which I use on Shield.

This is a real issue because my Samsung HDR TV is producing color shifts due to the brightness of the subtitle white text so I need to reduce subtitle size, change subtitle color or add a semi transparent block behind white text to prevent color shifts. 

I can perform these changes on Netflix and Prime apps but missing this ability to do so on Emby.

Please, Emby team, are you guys close to getting this done? 

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, mbguy said:

I can’t find subtitle size/color adjustments on Emby’s Android TV app which I use on Shield.

This is a real issue because my Samsung HDR TV is producing color shifts due to the brightness of the subtitle white text so I need to reduce subtitle size, change subtitle color or add a semi transparent block behind white text to prevent color shifts. 

I can perform these changes on Netflix and Prime apps but missing this ability to do so on Emby.

Please, Emby team, are you guys close to getting this done? 

What do you mean by "can't find it"? Settings>Sub/Audio Defaults? Change Size, Color, Brightness, Enable/Disable Background? 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Typo

1 hour ago, GrimReaper76 said:

What do you mean by "can't find it"? Settings>Sub/Audio Defaults? Change Size, Color, Brightness, Enable/Disable Background? 

Hi.  Yes, this is available in that app.  Please let us know if that answers your question.

7 hours ago, GrimReaper76 said:

I meant what I wrote, that I couldn't locate the settings for the subtitles, because I thought "Sub/Audio" refers to subwoofer+audio due to semantic association effect and also I expected the subtitle settings to be available in-video not in app menu. Thanks for pointing out where it is though! Much appreciated.

5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Yes, this is available in that app.  Please let us know if that answers your question.

Yes it did. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, may I ask why these settings are placed in the app menu, instead of video/playback window? For example, Prime app allows subtitles color, font and background color to be changed during playback, so one can preview exactly how the changes look like and choose the best one based on content.

Emby's implementation is of course still miles better than Netflix's horrible and web-based settings for subtitles that are not even available in-app. Still I'm curious why Emby decided on this approach.

Hi.  We might put a link to this during playback at some point but there are already so many options available on the OSD that it just starts to get to be overload.  Thanks.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We might put a link to this during playback at some point but there are already so many options available on the OSD that it just starts to get to be overload.  Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation.

If it makes the difference, I do not think "there are already so many options on the OSD right now" so making subtitles settings available in playback will not be an "overload," for me at least. I know it's just a single vote and one single data point, but maybe you will find other users or team members who think the "Netflix-style" setting sucks, and "Prime-style" setting should be the standard.

I haven't tested Apple TV app yet, now I am curious if they are Netflix-style or Prime-style too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The ability to adjust subtitle background color and background opacity will be in Emby Server 4.7 as well as in upcoming app updates. Thanks.

• Like 4

On 9/9/2021 at 11:13 AM, Luke said:

The ability to adjust subtitle background color and background opacity will be in Emby Server 4.7 as well as in upcoming app updates. Thanks.

Thanks for this wonderful gift that makes Emby the best!

1 hour ago, Davey's said:

Does this mean - all apps-? 

When I'm playing a DVD its subs are always yellow in most of the apps I use; LG, Android and RPI. 

All apps will get there in upcoming app releases. Make sure to read the help text that indicates what subtitle formats it applies to. Your DVD subtitles are image based and have all of the styles already embedded.

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2023 at 2:38 PM, Eskape said:

Can you please add this functionality to the Apple TV app?  Thank you!

HI, yes it is planned for future updates to the Emby Apple TV app. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
bleachjt

Any ETA on this feature on AppleTV? Some shows are unwatchable because subs are white, no background and a bit too small. Gets worse if it's a show that use a lot of bright colors.

If there was any beta version I could sign up for to test this feature, I'd be up for that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 1:35 PM, bleachjt said:

Any ETA on this feature on AppleTV? Some shows are unwatchable because subs are white, no background and a bit too small. Gets worse if it's a show that use a lot of bright colors.

If there was any beta version I could sign up for to test this feature, I'd be up for that.

Hi, no ETA yet but it is on our roadmap. It's moving up the list. Thanks.