Jump to content

Subtitle size and color


supermau
 Share

Recommended Posts

I can’t find subtitle size/color adjustments on Emby’s Android TV app which I use on Shield.

This is a real issue because my Samsung HDR TV is producing color shifts due to the brightness of the subtitle white text so I need to reduce subtitle size, change subtitle color or add a semi transparent block behind white text to prevent color shifts. 

I can perform these changes on Netflix and Prime apps but missing this ability to do so on Emby.

Please, Emby team, are you guys close to getting this done? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mbguy said:

I can’t find subtitle size/color adjustments on Emby’s Android TV app which I use on Shield.

This is a real issue because my Samsung HDR TV is producing color shifts due to the brightness of the subtitle white text so I need to reduce subtitle size, change subtitle color or add a semi transparent block behind white text to prevent color shifts. 

I can perform these changes on Netflix and Prime apps but missing this ability to do so on Emby.

Please, Emby team, are you guys close to getting this done? 

What do you mean by "can't find it"? Settings>Sub/Audio Defaults? Change Size, Color, Brightness, Enable/Disable Background? 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GrimReaper76 said:

What do you mean by "can't find it"? Settings>Sub/Audio Defaults? Change Size, Color, Brightness, Enable/Disable Background? 

Hi.  Yes, this is available in that app.  Please let us know if that answers your question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GrimReaper76 said:

What do you mean by "can't find it"? Settings>Sub/Audio Defaults? Change Size, Color, Brightness, Enable/Disable Background? 

I meant what I wrote, that I couldn't locate the settings for the subtitles, because I thought "Sub/Audio" refers to subwoofer+audio due to semantic association effect and also I expected the subtitle settings to be available in-video not in app menu. Thanks for pointing out where it is though! Much appreciated.

 

5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Yes, this is available in that app.  Please let us know if that answers your question.

Yes it did. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, may I ask why these settings are placed in the app menu, instead of video/playback window? For example, Prime app allows subtitles color, font and background color to be changed during playback, so one can preview exactly how the changes look like and choose the best one based on content.

Emby's implementation is of course still miles better than Netflix's horrible and web-based settings for subtitles that are not even available in-app. Still I'm curious why Emby decided on this approach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi.  We might put a link to this during playback at some point but there are already so many options available on the OSD that it just starts to get to be overload.  Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We might put a link to this during playback at some point but there are already so many options available on the OSD that it just starts to get to be overload.  Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation.

If it makes the difference, I do not think "there are already so many options on the OSD right now" so making subtitles settings available in playback will not be an "overload," for me at least. I know it's just a single vote and one single data point, but maybe you will find other users or team members who think the "Netflix-style" setting sucks, and "Prime-style" setting should be the standard.

I haven't tested Apple TV app yet, now I am curious if they are Netflix-style or Prime-style too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The ability to adjust subtitle background color and background opacity will be in Emby Server 4.7 as well as in upcoming app updates. Thanks.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2021 at 11:13 AM, Luke said:

The ability to adjust subtitle background color and background opacity will be in Emby Server 4.7 as well as in upcoming app updates. Thanks.

Thanks for this wonderful gift that makes Emby the best!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davey's said:

Does this mean - all apps-? 

When I'm playing a DVD its subs are always yellow in most of the apps I use; LG, Android and RPI. 

All apps will get there in upcoming app releases. Make sure to read the help text that indicates what subtitle formats it applies to. Your DVD subtitles are image based and have all of the styles already embedded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...