Subtitle size and color

supermau

Penelope061

Hello,

I apologize if this question has already been asked, but is there any chance there would be the option to add/remove a dark background to the subtitles? I usually use Emby to cast videos from my PC with Chromecast and I found out that, if I need subtitles, a dark background make the reading much easier for people like my mum, who has an eye condition (macular degeneration). 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Devdroid

Bumping the necessity of this because if you have HDR TV in a dark room pure white subtitles are BLINDINGLY bright.

Yeah, tell me about it. I bought a HDR TV on Black Friday and it's insane. Had no idea it was going to be _that_ freaking bright. 

But it's also a problem when watching movies on a tablet in a dark room/in bed. Also hurts your eyes even on the lowest brightness setting. 

I've been using Kodi instead of the Emby client until they have time to fix it. Try it if you can; you can change most things in Kodi and if you install "Embycon" with the skin "Embuary" it's almost the same thing, but with lots of options for adjusting both video and audio parameters. 

But I don't have time to setup Kodi+Embycon for friends and family (it's not as stable as the emby client itself/requires a bit more maintenance), and they are also on me about the subs, so I'm really hoping they add it soon :)  

Edited by Devdroid

• 3 months later...
rbjtech

Adding my support for this change/feature request - a few recent threads on the LG App for WebOS 3.0 as it's now using the built in video player and we appeared to have lost the ability to change size/font/colour of the subs now.  White HDR Subs are a particular problem ..

pastorn

Also adding my support to this important feature! :-)  Subtitles displayed in an pleasant manner in an important part of the movie experience. In my android dreams I always have the following features:

1) Subtitle fill color (two options: SDR and HDR)

2) Outline color

3) Size

4) Vertical position

5) Font

/Martin

cochize1

Any ballpark date when there will be an update for Android TV app about the subtitles size adjustment? Litteraly adding this feature (and figuring out how to handle many simultaneous IPTV recordings from start to finish without breaks - but that's for the other thread), would make an Emby experiance for me perfect. There would be no more requests from my side, just pure admiration for your product.

Any ballpark date when there will be an update for Android TV app about the subtitles size adjustment? Litteraly adding this feature (and figuring out how to handle many simultaneous IPTV recordings from start to finish without breaks - but that's for the other thread), would make an Emby experiance for me perfect. There would be no more requests from my side, just pure admiration for your product.

It's on our list for the app. We're going as fast as we can, thanks.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
K1ng_Lear

Android app or web browser are on this list? xD

The Android App on the shield have this feature. Of course works it only on text based subs like srt.

• 5 months later...
Bazzu85

As opposed to what?

Sorry, I don't understand your question..

I'm asking of is possible in future to improve the option to activate a trasparent background on the subtitle..

I use it on netflix..

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
rodainas

I dont know it is being asked before, but could you apply at least the scaling factor to ass/ssa subtitles, some are tiny by format and when you warch it on a TV with some distance is hard to see them. For example I know MXPlayer can scale the size of them.

• Like 2