SSD Recommendations

Bert

So I finally broke down and got a new server. 6th Generation I7 to replace 2nd Generation i5. Only problem is it has no SSD and I'd rather just buy one then deal with moving them around. Time is money..... Anyway I see no name SSD for cheap every now and again but am wondering if it's better just to pay for a premium name. For example the below is $93 for a Samsung 250 gig drive. Should I just cough it up or should I save the money and buy a no name?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372&&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-FatWallet,%20Inc.-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=361116&SID=ebs2d1392890d9344d1489537259564sbe

Edited by Bert

LOL, yeah I wasn't really asking if this was the lowest price for this drive, more along the lines of is the no name just as good?

Edit: Never mind, I guess for that price why bother risking it...ordered.

Edited by Bert

PenkethBoy

if its a sata ssd - i have no name and samsung

not much in it for performance

length of life might be different 

warranty on samsung usually significantly longer

total write life on samsung usually much longer as well especially the pro versions 

value judgement if extra cost justifies the warranty in most cases a no brainer - Samsung

my no name were only £55 for 256GB - when they die or give trouble i will just bin them - bought as a test been fine so far but less than a year old

Swynol

i've had many SSDs over the last few years. to give a rough number i would say 40-50. I get them 'free' so why not. any way. i have had intel, samsung, kingston, sandisk, crucial ,OCZ and a few no names. They range from 32GB to 1TB. 

So far i have had 2 SSDs fail within 18months one was the intel and the other a kingston both 128GB. both replaced under warrenty. These were both in my server so on 24/7 the other drives are in my laptops, PCs etc and probably dont have the same number of read/writes yet. 

The oldest drives i have are the intel which are 32GB and one of my Samsungs which was an early PRO model. The 32GB intel are slowly failing and getting slower, doesnt bother me as they are only 32GB. the Samsung PRO seems to be going strong no speed drops or access issues at all. I have a few samsung non PRO models these are around 2 years old and live a fairly easy life, Speeds are not far off the pro model and no issues. i have some new crucial and at least 2 manufacturer refurbed unit, they have be used for less than a year, good speeds not quite samsung pro speeds though. only have one OCZ which is in a system which only gets turned maybe once a month so cant really comment on it. 

Now the sandisks, i have the most amount of these, maybe around 30 units of 128GB. they are used in fairly demanding areas some 24/7. they have been in use for approx  1 year and no issues yet. not sure on speeds of these.

So from my experience you kind of do get what you pay for. i was most impressed with the samsung PRO, good speeds, no failures and good warranty. However most of the other drives i have are in similar price range some have longer warranty than others. Heard quite a few stories of the early kingston models failing which mine did so i will probably avoid them in future, the intel drives have lasted a long time but they were early models with slow speeds and small storage, bit early to tell on the sandisks but we have just order 800 machines with 128GB sandisk drives in so i will be able to tell you soon.