• 2 months later...
Bloodred

Hi, I'm afraid I don't know much about how HTTPS support works with Emby and I don't have it set up myself. The connection to the server is established in the Emby API client library, so the E2PL doesn't touch that directly at all, though I don't know at this point if there's any special setup/configuration required in order for it to support HTTPS.

More of a guess than anything else, but are you using a self-signed certificate or one signed by a CA which isn't trusted by default on your proxy? That might cause the connection to fail I assume, so if this is the case it might help to try to get your hands on a different certificate or to configure your CA as trusted in Windows (I don't remember exactly what the process for this was) with the hope that the Emby client will know to pick up on that. Sorry I can't be of more help, but when I get some time I'll have a quick look to see if there's anything I could do from the E2PL side.

Elegant

@@Bloodred The reverse proxy is providing the CA signed certificate and Windows does trust it per the attached.

@@Luke In this case, wouldn't Emby require the CA instead of the certificate since it's handled by the reverse proxy? I wasn't able to spot an option to supply the CA.

post-218365-0-73824800-1544900996_thumb.png

There is a setting in the advanced section of the server dashboard to allow you to indicate that https is being handled by your reverse proxy.

Elegant

Unfortunately, it's not working. Whenever I connect using emby.svc.example.com:443 I am met with "Could not connect to Emby. Please check your settings." If I revert to using emby.svc.example.com:80, I have no issues. 80 and 443 (SSL) are the ports used for the reverse proxy, Emby is still using 8096 internally. Something must be missing...

Edited by Elegant

Elegant

The Emby External Player Launcher, if I set the address to use the SSL port (443) it will fail to connect (see attached). If I access Emby using the same address and port in the web browser, I have no issues and the certificate is trusted per my previous post.

post-218365-0-67758900-1544939074_thumb.png

post-218365-0-95316000-1544939080_thumb.png

Edited by Elegant

Ok, I'm not familiar enough with this , but first things being first, are you able to use https with Emby apps?

KMBanana

Is there a need for https with this app?  You need to be on the same machine or LAN as the Emby server for it to work in the first place.  

Elegant

@@Luke I never had to download an Emby app previously. Downloading Emby Theatres actually taught me what the issue was. I noticed that using emby.svc.example.com:443 did not work here either BUT I did notice the example at the bottom of Emby Theatre (192.168.1.100 or https://myserver.com). So I tried using https://emby.svc.example.com instead which works. The key was putting https:// in the address bar. Thanks!

Edited by Elegant

Bloodred

I'm glad you got it working! It makes a lot of sense actually for "https://" to be required there since the client wouldn't really have any way to know that it should be trying to establish an encrypted connection, so I guess it was just using regular HTTP over port 443 which obviously wouldn't work if your proxy expected HTTPS. I should've thought of that. Anyway, good thing you could solve the problem and thanks for posting the solution.

• 2 months later...

2019-03-15 10:38:38,753 [1  ] INFO  EmbyExternalPlayerLauncher.Program - Emby External Player Launcher is starting.

2019-03-15 10:38:39,136 [1  ] INFO  EmbyExternalPlayerLauncher.ServerConnect.AutoConnector - Connecting to Emby Server...
2019-03-15 10:38:40,869 [5  ] INFO  EmbyExternalPlayerLauncher.ServerConnect.EmbyPlayerConnector - Connected to Emby server at http://192.168.1.8:8096
2019-03-15 10:38:40,904 [9  ] ERROR EmbyExternalPlayerLauncher.ServerConnect.Logging.EmbyLogger - Error connecting to ws://192.168.1.8:8096/emby/embywebsocket?api_key=373cf605e5ba48fb9a4b881bdafc9422&deviceId=E2PL-admin@@Ning
System.PlatformNotSupportedException: 此平台不支持 WebSocket 协议。
   在 System.Net.WebSockets.ClientWebSocket..ctor()
   在 Emby.ApiClient.WebSocket.NativeClientWebSocket..ctor(ILogger logger)
   在 Emby.ApiClient.WebSocket.ClientWebSocketFactory.CreateWebSocket(ILogger logger)
   在 Emby.ApiClient.WebSocket.ClientWebSocketFactory.CreateWebSocket()
   在 Emby.ApiClient.ApiClient.<EnsureConnectionAsync>d__296.MoveNext()

• 3 months later...
Elegant

Just noticed that it seems to fail if using LDAP for authentication. Tested with one user using LDAP and another without. Would it be possible to have support added? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Bloodred

Hello! I'm afraid I've never personally used LDAP and don't know much about it. I assume it's something you configure on the Emby server, right? The authentication is handled by the Emby client library and E2PL only really provides the user name and password. I can have a look at it, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do anything about it.

Is this something which used to work in the past but no longer works since a server update or something like that? It's possible that something changed in the server API too.

Elegant

It may be related to the server API per @@Luke's comments in the LDAP Plugin thread. My credentials work fine in other tools/plugins such as Emby for Kodi but this specific one is giving me trouble when authentication is changed to LDAP in Emby. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
saltywatermelonsoda

is E2PL still being actively developed? basic functionality of playing videos with MPC-HC (1.8.7) still works, but

• Automatic viewing progress synchronization
  • Resuming in-progress videos
  • Remote control

are now broken.

the log shows this error:

2019-09-20 22:09:28,494 [9  ] INFO  EmbyExternalPlayerLauncher.ServerConnect.EmbyPlayerConnector - Playing "XYZ" from "F:\Movies\1080p\XYZ.mp4"
2019-09-20 22:09:30,515 [22 ] ERROR EmbyExternalPlayerLauncher.Players.MpcHc.MpcHcWebAdapter - Could not get player status.

I'm running the latest versions of Emby Server (4.2.1.0), MPC-HC (1.8.7) and E2PL.

Thanks!

Bloodred

Hello! Apologies for the late reply, my free time was limited lately as I have a few other things keeping me busy.

@@Elegant - in regards to LDAP not working, what you've found is sadly correct, the problem is the fact that there have been API changes on the server side which don't seem to have been carried over to the client library I'm using in E2PL, I don't think there's much I can do about it from the E2PL code itself, unless the library gets updated and the new version remains compatible with what E2PL is using. For my own Emby server, I decided a while ago to stop updating it (on 3.5.2.0) because I assumed API changes would indeed appear at one point, as they actually have. I don't know if downgrading is possibly an option for you or not, but I guess LDAP might work with an older server version, before the API changes. Again, I don't use LDAP myself though.

@@Luke, the library seems to have been last updated 2 years ago, at least there isn't a newer NuGet package that I can see (I'm looking here: https://www.nuget.org/packages/MediaBrowser.ApiClient/). Will this library ever be updated again, or is it deprecated/abandoned at this point?

@@saltywatermelonsoda, for that issue I actually have some good news. I have encountered it myself since I use the same version of MPC-HC, along with another issue which sometimes prevented proper progress tracking. This happens because the web server in newer versions of MPC-HC seems to behave differently. One problem is that it's very slow to respond sometimes, so the request from E2PL times out and as such it cannot get the status, as if the player wasn't running. You can already mitigate this by setting the timeout in E2PL to a larger value, such as 10s (so 10000ms in the config). There's another problem with the newer version of MPC-HC sometimes intermittently returning player stopped status when it's not actually stopped, seems to happen sometimes when loading videos or changing refresh rate. I have a new version which tries to address this problem and I will release it in the following days.

There are some other issues which I believe might be related to API changes too (live progress updates during playback don't always work properly anymore, but progress should be corrected when you close MPC-HC), not sure whether I'll be able to fix those. Increasing the timeout and the upcoming version should fix some of the functionality, though.

saltywatermelonsoda

There's another problem with the newer version of MPC-HC sometimes intermittently returning player stopped status when it's not actually stopped, seems to happen sometimes when loading videos or changing refresh rate. I have a new version which tries to address this problem and I will release it in the following days.

Thanks Bloodred! think this is also what is happening on my side, except it happens every time with every video i've tried so far. the emby actvity log shows these events on the dashboard (always exactly on the 60s mark):

saltywatermelonsoda is playing XYZ.mp4 on E2PL

9/23/2019, 7:15:37 pm
saltywatermelonsoda has finished playing XYZ.mp4 on E2PL
9/23/2019, 7:16:37 pm

increasing the timeout to 10000ms and more hasn't changed anything, so i'll keep an eye out for the update.

thank you so much for keeping E2PL alive!