Some people images show up as blank until I click into them

JoshFink

Please try refreshing the metadata of the movie or series that contains the actor. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

Guest topbanana
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Please try refreshing the metadata of the movie or series that contains the actor. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

But if i visit the person, then i do not need to refresh metadata, or anything... the person's image just immediately gets downloaded and appears.  Then it'll show up in the movie's cast as expected.  Tho i do have to navigate away and navigate back, then everyone i present.
The whole point is that it displays without refreshing... so why can't it at the movie level too....

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Luke said:

This would be dependent on what server version you are on correct?

But yes there can be a difference when seeing a actor in Cast and Crew vs actually entering the person in 4.4.3.0, but only on a existing install not a new install.

Guest topbanana
17 hours ago, Luke said:

At the end of the day, a user wants to go to a movies's page and see all the info about it and the cast and crew that are in it, with all the images of the cast that are available showing...
...and without having to go through the context menus to press refresh...

• 4 months later...
Guest topbanana

The behaviour as stated in the OP's Title still exists...  And is still an constant, mild annoyance.

Some people's images are blank when viewing a movie, etc, and when you click on that person, their page opens and their image now appears/downloads.  Which then means they show up on the movie's page when loaded again...

There must be an existing mechanism that exists that is triggered by loading the Person's page, and that works great...  This existing mechanism just needs to be triggered when loading a movie's page and there's say 3-5 people without images yet...  They will then show up...  Leaving only people that simply don't have images available online to remain blank.
And there image providers won't be hammered with hundreds of requests, just a handful each time a user stumbled across a movies with a few missing people images...
This way, emby will always present the user with all the available images of the people that's currently available.  As we'd hope to expect.

Is this change/fix officially on a to-do list?

2 hours ago, topbanana said:

The behaviour as stated in the OP's Title still exists...  And is still an constant, mild annoyance.

Some people's images are blank when viewing a movie, etc, and when you click on that person, their page opens and their image now appears/downloads.  Which then means they show up on the movie's page when loaded again...

There must be an existing mechanism that exists that is triggered by loading the Person's page, and that works great...  This existing mechanism just needs to be triggered when loading a movie's page and there's say 3-5 people without images yet...  They will then show up...  Leaving only people that simply don't have images available online to remain blank.
And there image providers won't be hammered with hundreds of requests, just a handful each time a user stumbled across a movies with a few missing people images...
This way, emby will always present the user with all the available images of the people that's currently available.  As we'd hope to expect.

Hi, try refreshing the metadata on the movie or series containing the person and see if that helps pull in an image.

Guest topbanana
On 12/01/2021 at 02:51, Luke said:

Hi, try refreshing the metadata on the movie or series containing the person and see if that helps pull in an image.

Yes, refreshing the metadata then makes the missing people appear when the movies page is revisited/reloaded (Revisiting/Relaoding without refreshing metadata does not).

But that's not what we/users want to have to do.

We want it to just work.
We want it to show us all the information and images that are available to emby.
At the moment, just clicking on and visiting the person's page fixes the issue.

Why can't that mechanism for immediately retrieving the missing image be triggered when viewing the movie and it's people.  It'll only need to be triggered for the few that are missing... and their images will then load, albeit very slightly delayed, but that's fine.

Just triggering this mechanism one level sooner will make emby self-heal with regards to missing people.  Problem solved.

We're not gonna refresh every movie's metadata each time we visit another one.

Edited by topbanana

• 3 years later...
chaddie47

This has been an issue since at least 2015... almost a decade. In 2024 this is still an issue. Can this not be fixed? And for me, no, refreshing the metadata of the movies does NOT populate the actor images (even when navigating away and back to the movie page).

I'm currently evaluating Emby vs Jellyfin and it is issues like these that make me question whether I can justify paying for Emby Premium. Something seemingly so simple has not been fixed in almost a decade...

I'll repeat the question from above:

rbjtech

image.png.bc983aa915b1ae4b108bad0954b4b8fb.png

🤔

No issues here - the only blank actor images are for those that do not have images available - ie even after an individual metadata refresh, no actor image is found.

Your best bet is to pre-populate all the images by running a full metadata refresh (with images refreshed=yes) on the entire library.    It will take a while to do - but once done, then actor images should all be shown just fine when you browse that item.