Some people images show up as blank until I click into them

JoshFink

JoshFink

Hi, I'm having a trouble with some images downloading automatically. I've done a "Refresh People" & "Scan Media Library" and it has refreshed some people but for others it's not there. However, when I click on some of the blank images (where it just shows the name) it will sometimes refresh the image and bring it down. 

• Is there something I can do to go out there and grab all people images on a scheduled basis?
  • For any that don't have an image, which is fine if there isn't any, is there a way to have a blank picture or something that says "No Image" as default?

Thanks for the help

PenkethBoy

seen this for a while myself - and clicking does bring down an image for some

not sure why - its the same after multiple scans

Usually its the more obscure persons that are missing pictures initially

My best advice right now is to click on them :).

It is not a good practice for us to continually download tens of thousands of images that may never be seen.  We were putting a tremendous strain on the free providers we use when we did that by default.

JoshFink

My best advice right now is to click on them :).

It is not a good practice for us to continually download tens of thousands of images that may never be seen.  We were putting a tremendous strain on the free providers we use when we did that by default.

hmm.. Ok, thanks.. Is there a way, on my own that I can pull them down and then populate them without it going through Emby? 

Honestly, it just looks bad to be half filled out. Is it a huge deal? No... Aesthetically though, it looks bad.

• 1 month later...
bfir3

I'm also wondering about this. Very strange to have no People images until I click them. :(

Suspense

hmm.. Ok, thanks.. Is there a way, on my own that I can pull them down and then populate them without it going through Emby? 

Honestly, it just looks bad to be half filled out. Is it a huge deal? No... Aesthetically though, it looks bad.

I do agree

Or provide an option to not show people in tv shows/movies, it really is odd to browse a movie and be presented with a rainbow of different colors on them.

Happy2Play

Do you have "Download images in advance" enabled per library?  It only applies to NEW media but should get all actor images during the initial media fetch.

Download images in advance
By default, most images are only downloaded when requested by an Emby app. Enable this option to download all images in advance, as new media is imported. This may cause significantly longer library scans.

bfir3

Do you have "Download images in advance" enabled per library?  It only applies to NEW media but should get all actor images during the initial media fetch.

Download images in advance
By default, most images are only downloaded when requested by an Emby app. Enable this option to download all images in advance, as new media is imported. This may cause significantly longer library scans.

I can confirm this doesn't work. I just finally moved from a 2 year old Emby version to the latest stable release. Added all my library folders from scratch and ensured that "Download images in advance" setting was enabled when I added the library. The People images weren't downloaded on initial scan or subsequent scans. And refreshing individual media items doesn't download the images either. The only way to get the images to download is by clicking on an actor. Am I doing something wrong or I guess this is a glaring oversight?

Hopefully this isn't the nail in the coffin that forces me to move back. Most of the other changes that have been made to Emby in the past two years are finally seeing some performance improvements. The home page and individual libraries load almost as fast as on the old builds, though sometimes the homepage will hang for 10+ seconds this seems more rare than in the past when I tried newer builds of Emby, it still seems overall better and closer in performance to the old 3.0.5782 build I was using before.

Edited by bfir3

If you imported existing metadata there is an issue related to importing new content with pre-existing metadata and people images not getting downloading. A fix for this is currently in testing with the beta server.

bfir3

If you imported existing metadata there is an issue related to importing new content with pre-existing metadata and people images not getting downloading. A fix for this is currently in testing with the beta server.

What do you mean by imported existing metadata? The only data that would have been "imported" is the images and nfo files that are alongside my media. None of the old server's cache or metadata or anything from the app data folder were used for the new server installation.

Happy2Play

I can confirm this doesn't work. I just finally moved from a 2 year old Emby version to the latest stable release. Added all my library folders from scratch and ensured that "Download images in advance" setting was enabled when I added the library. The People images weren't downloaded on initial scan or subsequent scans. And refreshing individual media items doesn't download the images either. The only way to get the images to download is by clicking on an actor. Am I doing something wrong or I guess this is a glaring oversight?

Hopefully this isn't the nail in the coffin that forces me to move back. Most of the other changes that have been made to Emby in the past two years are finally seeing some performance improvements. The home page and individual libraries load almost as fast as on the old builds, though sometimes the homepage will hang for 10+ seconds this seems more rare than in the past when I tried newer builds of Emby, it still seems overall better and closer in performance to the old 3.0.5782 build I was using before.

So from scratch - does that mean no existing metadata at all?

bfir3

Exactly that's what I mean, pre-existing nfo.

So I would be expected to delete all of my nfo files so that it can create new ones so that it can download all the people metadata that I already had before? That seems a little redundant, why isn't it downloading the people information when it knows that I don't have it?

Happy2Play

So I would be expected to delete all of my nfo files so that it can create new ones so that it can download all the people metadata that I already had before? That seems a little redundant, why isn't it downloading the people information when it knows that I don't have it?

In this stable release yes or wait for the next release.

Ok @@Happy2Play @@WannaTheater @

I'm putting a change in for the next release. You can try this in the next beta by adding a new movie with pre-existing nfo. Thanks !

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/45731-actors-dont-get-scraped-for-nfo-imported-content/page-2&do=findComment&comment=445555

Has anyone asked you to delete your nfo files? As I said, this is an issue in the current stable server, and a fix for this is currently in testing in the beta release. Thanks !

bfir3

That post indicates the change will be available in next Beta. Since that post there has been a new Beta release, so I could try the Beta for this change I guess? Also, it isn't clear if this will only affect newly added movies with existing nfos or if it will download metadata for all people for existing library items when doing a top level metadata refresh.

bfir3

Has anyone asked you to delete your nfo files? As I said, this is an issue in the current stable server, and a fix for this is currently in testing in the beta release. Thanks !

It was a question, and answering my question with a question of your own isn't really helpful. Thanks for your assistance anyway though, I know your intentions are good.

New only. But if you're doing a top level refresh, then it won't matter whether you're on beta or stable as it will work in both cases with a forced refresh.

bfir3

New only. But if you're doing a top level refresh, then it won't matter whether you're on beta or stable as it will work in both cases with a forced refresh.

Wait so it will work with a top level forced refresh, but on initial scan it doesn't work? That's so strange. I will give the top level refresh a try first then if that will solve my problem and will download the images and metadata for all my People. Thanks!

Edited by bfir3

Happy2Play

I just added a movie library with existing metadata to a new beta that had a empty People folder and all available actor images populated.

bfir3

I just added a movie library with existing metadata to a new beta that had a empty People folder and all available actor images populated.

Haha, nice. Well, too bad I didn't realize this before I scanned and added close to 100000 items to my library. I think the best solution for me will be to just use the top level refresh. I'm doing it on one of my smaller libraries right now and it's working great.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
Guest topbanana

Get the missing available images on demand

I have many examples of "Some people images show up as blank until I click into them".
They appear as the coloured placeholder and when i click on them, some of them then immediately load the person's image...  Some just don't, because the internet DB's just don't have one, fair enough.
Same as OP.

So, if emby can download the person's image when you click on that person/visit their page, when they do have one, could we instead have emby get this image, when available, when that person is displayed in the Cast & Crew section of a movie/episode.  If the person just doesn't have any images available, they remain as the coloured placeholder.

With it working like this, it won't be hammering TMDB with 100,000s of images requests up front, like is being avoided...  it'll probably just grab the 5-10 missing images.

This way, any movie/episode will display as fully populated with people images as it can be.

Edited by topbanana
typo

1 hour ago, topbanana said:

Get the missing available images on demand

I have many examples of "Some people images show up as blank until I click into them".
They appear as the coloured placeholder and when i click on them, some of them then immediately load the person's image...  Some just don't, because the internet DB's just don't have one, fair enough.
Same as OP.

So, if emby can download the person's image when you click on that person/visit their page, when they do have one, could we instead have emby get this image, when available, when that person is displayed in the Cast & Crew section of a movie/episode.  If the person just doesn't have any images available, they remain as the coloured placeholder.

With it working like this, it won't be hammering TMDB with 100,000s of images requests up front, like is being avoided...  it'll probably just grab the 5-10 missing images.

This way, any movie/episode will display as fully populated with people images as it can be.

We already do that, when the server has the person image url saved. This comes from the metadata of the movie or series containing the person, so try refreshing that.

Guest topbanana

But it's not working that way right now...

We have to visit the person's page before their image is displayed...  Otherwise they remain as a coloured rectangle in the cast/crew....  As soon as you visit them, it comes up.

Can't that fetching of the image be done when the person is displayed in the cast/crew section of a movie?....  Rather than only when going to that person's page...

Guest topbanana

And can this also be tied into fixing the 'bug' we're experiencing with corrupt people images not being available???

If Person_Image = Local Then
	Display Person_Image
ElseIf Person_image = Not_Downloaded Then
	Fetch Person_Image
If Fetch Person_Image = null Then
	Refresh Person_Image

My coding skills are rather rusty lol!

Anyhoo...  Wouldn't this approach fix both this post's request and the corrupt Person image 'Bug' in one go?