No sound in new Roku App, but working with the old app

pcdery
Go to solution Solved by pcdery,

pcdery

Hi, when I try to listen a 720p MKV file with the new roku app, there is no sound, but when I start the SAME file with the old app, the sound is working. You have an explanation?

Thank you.

pcdery

Here is the media info

Video

Codec H264
AVC Yes
Profile High
Level 41
Resolution 1280x720
Aspect ratio 16:9
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 25
Bitrate 2112 kbps
Bit depth 8 bit
Pixel format yuv420p
Ref frames 8
NAL 4

Audio

Language eng
Codec AC3
Layout stereo
Channels 2 ch
Bitrate 192 kbps
Sample rate 48000 Hz
Default Yes
Title Eng Dolby Digital stereo Default
Container mkv

pcdery

I am using the new Roku Express+, connected via HDMI to the TV. But as I said, the sound is working when I play the file with the Old Emby Roku App, but not the New Beta Roku APP. So I think it is not my equipment the problem, but the new app. I will check toninght if there is a transcode log produced. 

The capabilities of the equipment are important because the new app asks the device what it can support and makes decisions based on that.  That audio track is DD so if your equipment doesn't support DD then we should be transcoding to something else.

Also, you might try changing the audio settings on the Roku itself.

pcdery

Ok, I will try to change the audio setting on the Roku itself. Here is the info I found for my Roku Express+

Stereo

• The Roku player by default will provide stereo signal, through both composite or HDMI

Surround Sound

• The Roku player does not process surround sound signals (only passthrough via HDMI).
  • Surround sound requires a surround sound capable audio/video receiver (AVR) connected using optical or HDMI cables. Not supported using composite cables.
  • Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) requires an AVR capable of decoding DD+ signal.

• Solution
pcdery

I changed the audio settings on the Roku itself to STEREO, and now the sound is working. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

dcook

If it was playing fine on the old app, but not the new app, the OP should not have to "downgrade" his audio settings in the ROKU to Stereo, shouldn't the new app be able to detect the highest available audio output like the old app does?

I don't think advising the OP to change ROKU settings to get around a bug in the new Roku App is the best course of action.

The default ROKU audio settings should work with the new Emby Roku app, the same as they did with old Emby Roku App

The new Roku App should be able to auto-detect highest audio and then select accordingly.

Jdiesel

Unless I am mistaken it is not the Emby app that decides what formats are supported but instead the Roku firmware. Roku has been releasing some buggy firmware lately with lots of weird audio issues that are affecting multiple apps. I had my audio options set to HDMI and DTS, DD+ since I got my Roku and it was working perfectly, when Roku updated its firmware to 7.5.1 4111 my audio quit working in both Emby and Plex. I had to change both settings to Auto to get my audio working again. Both DTS and DD+ now play fine with Auto selected in the Roku settings.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

dcook

That is what I meant, the Roku audio settings should be Auto, I would not advise to change settings to 2ch Stereo, as the App should try to play the highest quality audio available 

Unless I am mistaken it is not the Emby app that decides what formats are supported but instead the Roku firmware. Roku has been releasing some buggy firmware lately with lots of weird audio issues that are affecting multiple apps. I had my audio options set to HDMI and DTS, DD+ since I got my Roku and it was working perfectly, when Roku updated its firmware to 7.5.1 4111 my audio quit working in both Emby and Plex. I had to change both settings to Auto to get my audio working again. Both DTS and DD+ played fine with Auto selected in the Roku settings.

Edited by dcook

My guess is that his TV only supported stereo which is why he got no audio when he had the settings set to force DD.

The app can only go by what the environment tells it and I believe it is possible for you to make the environment lie to the app :).

If all other factors are equal, then you can try the zip installation of the old app to allow you to compare:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/8001-emby-for-roku-channel/

Thanks.

He said the old app did produce sound.

One scenario I can imagine that would cause that would be if the item had been transcoding.  The old app would have forced stereo in that situation but the new app, if the device was set to DD, would have preserved the DD in the transcode - thus producing no sound for him.

pcdery

Hi, just for your info, there is two audio option in the roku express+, AUTO and STEREO. When set to AUTO, there is sound in the OLD APP but not in the NEW APP (for 720P file only). When set to STEREO, there is sound in both apps. 

Just to understand, the settings are not set to FORCE DD, it is normally set to AUTO.

I would have assumed that when set to AUTO, the new app should have forced STEREO if DD is not supported.

Thank you. 

I would have assumed that when set to AUTO, the new app should have forced STEREO if DD is not supported.

It will.  My suspicion is that the device claimed to support DD with that setting turned on.

You could confirm or refute that suspicion by sending a log from the app:

• Set your device back to Auto
  • Go into the settings and turn on debug options
  • Restart the app
  • Play your item that produces no sound for a few seconds
  • Go directly back to the home screen and click the "Send Log" button on the last row
  • Turn debug options back off
  • Come out here and tell me when you sent the log and the name of your Emby server

Thanks!

Yes, your device reports that it supports DD (ac3) so we are passing the audio along unadulterated.

Supported MKV A-Codecs: lpcm,aac,mp3,mp2,wma,wmav2,wmapro,flac,alac,ac3

pcdery

Ok, so if I understand, my device claims it supports DD, but in fact, not really. I think it requires an AVR capable of decoding DD+ signal, am I right? 

But I still don't understand why the old app produces sound and not the new one. 

Sorry if I look a bit silly, my knowledge in this filed are limited  ;) . I just want to understand and help you improve your app.

But I still don't understand why the old app produces sound and not the new one. 

This is my suspicion:

One scenario I can imagine that would cause that would be if the item had been transcoding.  The old app would have forced stereo in that situation but the new app, if the device was set to DD, would have preserved the DD in the transcode - thus producing no sound for him.

• 2 months later...
gold1

I have the same issue with no sound, but my receiver is DD and DTS capable. I'm using a roku stick connected directly into one of the receiver's HDMI inputs. Unfortunately, I'm finding that a lot of files are running into this issue. I uploaded logs just now.

I have the same issue with no sound, but my receiver is DD and DTS capable. I'm using a roku stick connected directly into one of the receiver's HDMI inputs. Unfortunately, I'm finding that a lot of files are running into this issue. I uploaded logs just now.

Can you please post the media info for the item in question?

It looks like maybe it was coming out of Google Drive...?

gold1

I do sync to my google drive, but this was coming off of a drive connected directly to my server.

Below are the stats from Emby. Again, this has happened with frequency on the new app. Thanks for all of your work.

Video

CodecH264
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level40
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate3973 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4
NAL4
Audio

CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate384 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleDolby Digital 5.1 Default
Containermkv
PathE:\Media\TV\Silicon Valley\Season 4\Silicon Valley - S04E06 - Customer Service.mkv

I do sync to my google drive, but this was coming off of a drive connected directly to my server.

Below are the stats from Emby. Again, this has happened with frequency on the new app. Thanks for all of your work.

Video

CodecH264
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level40
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate3973 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4
NAL4
Audio

CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate384 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleDolby Digital 5.1 Default
Containermkv
PathE:\Media\TV\Silicon Valley\Season 4\Silicon Valley - S04E06 - Customer Service.mkv

The app was playing the Google Drive synced copy and it was an mp4.  Does the web app show information for that version?