Kyra for Emby (Community Feedback on Idea)

Blueeyiz702

Blueeyiz702

I posted the Idea to rschiks Donor and Devoloper from kodi.tv forums,and asked how about Kyra for Kodi?

First he wanted to see if there would be any interest in the app,so give me your idea's and thoughts about this.

Second,what kind of functionality should be in it? Are there going to be more than 2 people interested in app,

as it takes about 4 to 5 months to make the app.

Me myself i think its great idea and glad i asked;there are couple links below to show you Kyra for Kodi and Kyra for Trakt.

Screen Shots coming soon of the new Kyra for Kodi 2 he just finished.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kodi-control-center/id938724826?mt=8

58c4983f20e5b_KyraforKodi.png

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kyra-for-trakt/id1102061812?mt=8

58c499032ab66_KyraforTrakt.png

Help me guys and give your feedback,appreciate hearing from you soon.

It's a nice looking app. Yes, certainly an app dedicated to remote control could be useful.

Blueeyiz702

It's a nice looking app. Yes, certainly an app dedicated to remote control could be useful.

Luke should i put him in contact with,if you don't mind?

yes although general api questions are best in the community here in the api section. That way others can see the answers and participate.

This doesn't look like a remote control app to me.

It just looks like a straight app.

How would it be different than our iOS app?

Blueeyiz702

This doesn't look like a remote control app to me.

It just looks like a straight app.

How would it be different than our iOS app?

I'm going to get the Developer over here ebr so he can better answer your questions.

PrincessClevage

245f8ec16812b42d32f38218ae1dacf5.png

Could it be possible that this developer "rschicks" could assist with ET music development acceleration, Alexa or further any other area of development if willing? seems accomplished work to the laymen.

Edited by PrincessClevage
  • Like 1

Blueeyiz702

245f8ec16812b42d32f38218ae1dacf5.png

Could it be possible that this developer "rschicks" could assist with ET music development acceleration, Alexa or further any other area of development if willing? seems accomplished work to the laymen.

I'll ask him,but he just finished making the New Kyra for Kodi 2

• Like 1

rschiks

Hi,

I was actually surprised that there were already some reactions on the newly created thread by blueeyiz7021 :-)

To answer one of the questions "How would this app be different than the current one" first.

They definitely won't be the same. Of course you will always have the basic stuff, like an overview of your movies/series/albums etc. As I have done with my other two apps (for Kodi and Trakt) I don't look at the official one and implement the features I want (and of course the community).

In the new Kyra for Kodi 2 (will be released very soon) I have created a personal dashboard (started with that in the Trakt app) in which you drag and drop items to where you want them. Fully customizable. You can check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5OUx2uEJbg for a demo. That would be in for example.

mHAks7p.jpg

uUjm4Zk.jpg

I really like to customise the art in the app by using art (banners, logos, covers, backgrounds) from different sources (thetvdb.com, themoviedb.org). Examples:

SLwg4BM.jpg

jtISfFK.jpg

2cwpqgh.png

If needed I can implement Trakt & Kodi features directly into the app.

And a lot of more features. I could go on and on.

You can get an idea from the Kyra for Kodi 2 thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304078

I don't think this app will be the same as the official one.

Of course it's important of what the API is capable of and what the community wants.

rschiks

So only an iOS app?

How many Emby iOS users are there?

Yes, I only develop for iOS.

And the number of Emby iOS is a good question. Hopefully this thread can give some insight.

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

I am no expert and just an idea.

If this is all possible with emby Api would this be possibly an easy way to enable the consumer to become their own skin artist (with some tweaking). I believe that the Emby architects also try to keep functions similar across all client platforms so portability to android, windows UWP etc etc would need consideration.

rschiks

I am no expert and just an idea.

If this is all possible with emby Api would this be possibly an easy way to enable the consumer to become their own skin artist (with some tweaking). I believe that the Emby architects also try to keep functions similar across all client platforms so portability to android, windows UWP etc etc would need consideration.

I am not sure if I am following you. If you mean with skin artist the possibility to make, or rather customize the interface/layout, then I can already say it will be possible. The API is giving me data, I can do anything with it.

I think you are right about keeping functions similar across all client platforms, but only for the official Emby apps. This would be an unofficial app, so I think it's ok.

Blueeyiz702

rschiks,thank you for coming over and joining us.

Sent from my Rooted Z987 on the Deathstar via Tapatalk

• Like 1

rschiks

A status update from my side. I have done (and accomplished) the following:

- Installed Emby Server on a Windows 10 machine.

- Created an account with password.

- Added a movie to the library.

- Created a new test app.

I am already able to do the following:

- scan for emby servers on the network

- authenticate with a username/password and retrieve a token

- get all movies in the library

- ask for additional info, like imdb numbers, media source info

- retrieve images

My second challenge was the streaming part :-)

Also did that successfully. I could play the mkv (from the movie I added to the library) directly on my iPad.

I use an internal player based on VLC Player. It can even play hevc 2160p videostreams.

By using the Emby option direct stream I am able to switch audio streams and subtitle streams. Seeking is also possible.

Although I haven't tried it, it could also play mp3s (although iOS supports this already native), flac files, etc.

I think the rest of the Emby API is more the same.

Edited by rschiks
  • Like 3

rschiks

Now that I have played with the API I have a question:

What is the app (or the official app) going to be used for? Is it for:

- just browsing through the library ?

- play movies/episodes/music?

- take over the console of your Emby server?

So basically it comes to this question: what do you want to do with the app?

legallink

The official app is essentially a player interface (browse, play, etc), with administrative functionality.  There is a remote control functionality to control other players, but I've never really used that.

I'm not sure what you mean by take over the console of your emby server.

rschiks

The official app is essentially a player interface (browse, play, etc), with administrative functionality.  There is a remote control functionality to control other players, but I've never really used that.

I'm not sure what you mean by take over the console of your emby server.

Just displaying the (administrative) webpage of your Emby server in which you can add users, add items, etc.

And what would you like as additional functionality, besides the browsing and playing part? Do you miss something?

PrincessClevage

rschiks,thank you for coming over and joining us.

Sent from my Rooted Z987 on the Deathstar via Tapatalk

Seconded, thanks for your time and interest. I am not sure how best to guide you and I hope that one of the experienced developers may be able to assist. I am guessing that there is limited Apple only clients for Emby ( happy to be corrected if I am wrong) and being Apple only may limit consumers of your work. In saying this I would also guess that any good ideas and proven efforts for an API call and usage could be used in a similar manner across code/clients.

I can only offer what is currently lacking in my opinion in Emby:

video music support

Skin customisation for Emby clients

Extra Music support playlist etc(in some clients) show lyrics for currently playing song, show more from current artist not in your collection, display random HQ picture of currently playing artist from the Internet

Support for WOL from client

Greater granular control of scheduled Emby tasks

Voice integration (Alexa is currently being worked on in an active thread in this forum)

Youtube browser and cast from device integration

Restart server button option

An app that allows you to add your own task to run in Emby which can have the icon customised in Emby (app appearance) so the user can run their own custom task from Emby client GUI

Fast roll back to previous version option

Home automation system further integration (an app for lighting integration is already available for Emby) for picture in picture when a trigger on a device is tripped (camera)

Local OS security policy integration (no of fail PW attempts lo out policy etc)

Not sure if my Wishlist is going to help answer your question tho, but may assist with some ideas.

Edited by PrincessClevage
  • Like 1

Just for clarification:

• Music Videos: Emby supports these now
  • Voice integration: Emby apps on Android TV, Fire TV and Apple TV all utilize the voice features of those devices to the extent possible for apps of this kind.  Additionally, the mobile app has voice features too.  As you said, we are also working on external devices such as Echo.
  • Restart server button: This exists now on the server dashboard which is available from the web and mobile apps.
  • Cast from device integration: not sure what you are asking for here but we do have this now...
  • WOL: I believe this works fine from the HTPC apps (EMC for sure) and also the new Roku app.  Some of the mobile apps may not have full support for this yet.

rschiks

@PrincessClevage:

Of course it's always depending on the things the API is offering. Usually this is limiting factor.

I will take a look at your list and see what can be done.

Things like: WOL, skin customisation, youtube integration, different art, more filtering options, getting additional info for music artists won't be a problem (I see that musicbrainzid's are returned). 

Edited by rschiks

rschiks

I have played some more. Just like Kodi you can find more available methods in the source code (great that's available!!!) than the documentation is telling. Sorry, no offence meant Emby team :-)

The only thing I am having troubles with is the streaming part.

Personally I don't like the transcoding. My WiFi connection is fast enough to allow me streaming 1080p mkv's to an iPad Air without stuttering, so why transcode.

When using the option direct stream you have the possibility to seek, change the audio stream and subtitle streams. The transcoding limits this.

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

Just for clarification:

• Music Videos: Emby supports these now. I will try this out
  • Voice integration: Emby apps on Android TV, Fire TV and Apple TV all utilize the voice features of those devices to the extent possible for apps of this kind. Additionally, the mobile app has voice features too. As you said, we are also working on external devices such as Echo. Exciting thread
  • Restart server button: This exists now on the server dashboard which is available from the web and mobile apps. Not available in ET
  • Cast from device integration: not sure what you are asking for here but we do have this now... Open youtube app on my iPhone and start a clip then send to play on Emby
  • WOL: I believe this works fine from the HTPC apps (EMC for sure) and also the new Roku app. Some of the mobile apps may not have full support for this yet. Doesn't work on UWP app for xboxone
Thanks for the update Ebr, great work to Luke and yourself BTW don't think I have ever said

THANKs ....