How to completely turn off "Suggestions?"

Marc_G

Marc_G

Hi folks,

I've dug through many places in server and Emby Theater, not to mention the web interface, and haven't yet figured this out.

When I open up Emby... usually on Emby Theater but sometimes on the web browser or on Android, I either know what I want to watch, or I want to scroll through what's there. I have no interest in Emby or anyone else suggesting anything to me.

But on many views and apps, Suggestions is right there often as the first, and highlighted-by-default, option. I want this off. All the way off. Across all devices.

How do I do this? This is of course a quibble in the grand scheme of things, and I love Emby, but I'm chafing a bit with various interface issues and this is the one that's bugging me right now. Please help me put it to rest.

Thanks!

Marc

• Like 3

Happy2Play

There is no option for this.  And are you referring to actual suggestions "because you watched" and "More like this" or the landing tab for Movies and TV like in the web client?

As the Suggestions tab in Movie and TV are actually showing you Latest Movies and Next-Up episodes and have nothing to do with Suggestions (web client).

Marc_G

There is no option for this.  And are you referring to actual suggestions "because you watched" and "More like this" or the landing tab for Movies and TV like in the web client?

As the Suggestions tab in Movie and TV are actually showing you Latest Movies and Next-Up episodes and have nothing to do with Suggestions (web client).

Hi @@Happy2Play,

Thanks for the response. It's sad there's no way to turn this off, but I hope for such a configuration option in the future. I'm referring to both the "Suggestions" tab which is default in the web view:

58c46ba53e539_Suggestions1.jpg

...and "Because you watched..." type stuff in ET:

58c46bd36c8ad_Suggestions2.jpg

And anything else that does anything other than showing my content in the way that I want it displayed. This includes "Upcoming episodes" (which I often don't get because I don't have cable...) and anything else that's not actually on my machine, or in the folder I'm currently looking at. 

Fundamentally, I want to use Emby to display my media the way I want it displayed. It used to very much be this way on MB for WMC. I had all sorts of views (poster, coverflow...) and a raft of configurations I could make behind the scenes. This is the way I'd like it to be in Emby, whether I use web or ET or whatnot.

Thanks for listening guys!

Marc

Happy2Play

In the days of this modern apps everything looking the same.  I don't believe we will every have it the way you want it.  There is custom css the can remove "Because you watched" and "More like this" from the Web client.  And until someone else creates a custom skin/theme for ET, default is what your get.

It isn't suggesting anything for TV or Movies all it is saying is are your going to finish watching all this stuff you started "Continue Watching" and shows Next-Up? 

58c477742657c_suggestions.jpg

There are dozens of feature request to change the landing tab order.

Vidman

There was actually a legacy option to just display library's as a list. This option disappeared quite some time ago but the setting was still honoured until a couple of releases ago.

I know because I had it set for my tv show library and had no way to revert it until it just reverted itself at around release 3.2.1

Edited by Vidman

Happy2Play

There was actually a legacy option to just display library's as a list. This option disappeared quite some time ago but the setting was still honoured until a couple of releases ago.

I know because I had it set for my tv show library and had no way to revert it until it just reverted itself at around release 3.2.1

Technically now you have the "Display a folder view to show plain media folders" or use "Unset" as your library type to get ride of all tab options.

dcook

@@Happy2Play

Why not simply make these sections optional?

Have them enabled by default, but if someone wants to turn them they should have the ability

Suggestions and Upcoming should be optional, a lot of us don't have cable so the Upcoming is especially annoying

In the days of this modern apps everything looking the same.  I don't believe we will every have it the way you want it.  There is custom css the can remove "Because you watched" and "More like this" from the Web client.  And until someone else creates a custom skin/theme for ET, default is what your get.

It isn't suggesting anything for TV or Movies all it is saying is are your going to finish watching all this stuff you started "Continue Watching" and shows Next-Up? 

58c477742657c_suggestions.jpg

There are dozens of feature request to change the landing tab order.

Edited by dcook

Happy2Play

Well you do have an option, all or none.  As stated in post #7.  If you make your libraries Unset you remove all those tabs.

A test library set to Unset gives you folder view.  So you have a choice of enhance view showing you tabs or just folder view, all by what library content type you select.

58c4846eeb98b_test.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

dcook

All or None is not really a choice.

I don't think it would be hard to make Suggestions and Upcoming optional.

Well you do have an option, all or none.  As stated in post #7.  If you make your libraries Unset you remove all those tabs.

A test library set to Unset gives you folder view.  So you have a choice of enhance view showing you tabs or just folder view, all by what library content type you select.

58c4846eeb98b_test.jpg

Happy2Play

All or None is not really a choice.

I don't think it would be hard to make Suggestions and Upcoming optional.

This is different in every client.  But there are feature requests already out there.

Personally "Suggestions" is the wrong word to be displayed there anyway as it presents "Resume/Continue Watching" media and "Next-Up" for TV and "Resume/Continue Watching" and "Latest" for Movies.

Edited by Happy2Play

Guest topbanana

This has also been bugging me for years.

And previously posted about it.

I don't mind about the tabs.

BUT

When i click on my movies library, i want to see the Movies Tab as the initial view.
When i click on a tv library, i want to see the Shows Tab as the initial view.

Can we not have a User option to set the initial view?

Initial View:  Suggestions  or   Movies/Shows

This may be a blanket change for all the libraries the user looks at, but that's just perfect for probably all of us posting here.
We then have the option of clicking on the other tabs WHEN NEEDED, as they are useful...

I would be very happy to never see that 'Suggestions' tab every again tbh.

overClocked!

Or to change the order the tabs appear. At a minimum, allow us to choose the landing page.

I will look for the feature requests regrading this and express interest.

Unless someone has a link to share. Just lazy today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
hieroglyph

Yes this! This has been bugging me for a while on the web client.

Pretty please; make the "Shows" and "Movies" tabs the initially selected tabs.

On the flip side: I'm sure there are ppl out there who somehow enjoy seeing the "suggestions" tab as the landing page. If it's no longer the landing page; they will find this post and know we broke their 'thing'. No one wants to be responsible for that kind of heartache. Sooo... allowing us to choose the landing page or change the tab order seems like best way to make us all happy. :D

Sludge Vohaul

Hi,

another option might be to store the last selected tab of a library in the DB, and open up this tab when the library is accessed the next time.

• 2 weeks later...

This has also been bugging me for years.

And previously posted about it.

I don't mind about the tabs.

BUT

When i click on my movies library, i want to see the Movies Tab as the initial view.

When i click on a tv library, i want to see the Shows Tab as the initial view.

Can we not have a User option to set the initial view?

Initial View:  Suggestions  or   Movies/Shows

This may be a blanket change for all the libraries the user looks at, but that's just perfect for probably all of us posting here.

We then have the option of clicking on the other tabs WHEN NEEDED, as they are useful...

I would be very happy to never see that 'Suggestions' tab every again tbh.

Is it possible to add this as an enhancement request?  Defaulting to the main view (LiveTV->Guide, TV Shows->Shows, Movies->Movies) would be an improvement over 'Suggestions' as the primary landing page for each library type. I would recommend keeping Suggestions as a view option as it's nice to have as my library grows, but please don't make it the primary view.  Clicking through Suggestions adds an additional step any time I access my movies, tv shows or live TV EPG.

Is it possible to add this as an enhancement request?  Defaulting to the main view (LiveTV->Guide, TV Shows->Shows, Movies->Movies) would be an improvement over 'Suggestions' as the primary landing page for each library type. I would recommend keeping Suggestions as a view option as it's nice to have as my library grows, but please don't make it the primary view.  Clicking through Suggestions adds an additional step any time I access my movies, tv shows or live TV EPG.

Our intention is to have the live tv guide directly accessible from the home screen in every single app. We may not have that in every app today but we will be doing that, so this type of setting wouldn't be needed for live tv.

• Like 1

AdrianW

Our intention is to have the live tv guide directly accessible from the home screen in every single app. 

And hopefully it'll stay optional. I don't ever want to see Live TV in ET. So, if I don't have Live TV configured in the server it won't show in ET, right?

• 3 years later...
JasonBone

This thread is three and a half years old, and yet it looks like you still can't remove "Suggestions" or at least make it not the default view? Please tell me there's a way to do it, because I can't stand it. I just want to see my music!

Edited by JasonBone

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, JasonBone said:

This thread is three and a half years old, and yet it looks like you still can't remove "Suggestions" or at least make it not the default view? Please tell me there's a way to do it, because I can't stand it. I just want to see my music!

Set landing to Folders on your users-home screen setting for Music

folder.jpg.5b0cd3a7bed66c0db103f6e92ed68b5b.jpg

But no there are no options to remove Suggestions.