Symbolic Link

andcbii

andcbii

I have a few TV shows that have spawed Movies. I would like to keep one copy of the movie on my NAS under Movies and then create a symbolic link in TV shows. Any advice on how to do this? 

andcbii

So... I was doing this completely ass backwards, but i think it's working now. I was trying to crate the link in windows, which looking back seems stupid. Anyways I got this to work by SSHing into my Synology and using hard links like:

ln /root/file /root/link

symbolic links links like this:

ln -s /root/file /root/link

did not work. 

But now I have a question. When I browse to the link the file is listed as the same size as the original. I understand this is because the file is pointing to the exact same data as the original (more or less). Does this mess with the storage reporting on the NAS? Will the storage manager count the original file and the link when calculating the total used on the volume?

I would not suggest this and would instead recommend using the Collections feature to create your own display grouping.

With a symbolic link you're essentially going to fool the server into thinking there are two media files in two different places. In most cases that will probably be fine, but there may be some occasional metadata save failures due to trying to save to both at the same time.

andcbii

ok...  :(

I'll probably just stick to having two copies. I don't often browse the collections tab and 1/2 the reason I want it listed under movies and TV shows is in case some doesn't realize the show has a movie.

Thank you for your help!