Music In Appdata instead of the artist folder

damian
Go to solution Solved by damian,

damian

Hi All,

has anyone come accross emby placing artist info in Appdata instead of the artist folder for some artists even though you have it set on the server to store it locally in the music folders.

So for example I have an artist "No Doubt" and when I do anything or change the metadata it updates

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\artists\No Doubt

But no matter what I do it won't put the metadata in G:\Music\No Doubt were the music is actually stored.

I have deleted all the folders in C:\Users\xbmc_000\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\artists but as soon as I change anything or refresh the artist it pops back in appdata. This is driving me nuts! Any workarounds or fixes for this? I've tried lots including removing my music library and rebuilding it. Its like there is something stored in a db or something pointing the metadata for some artists into app data. What makes it worse is is only does this for some of my artists!

Any help would be great!

Hi, this is by design. you can force it to use your local artist folder via the presence of an artist.nfo file.

damian

If I have artist.nfo in the artist folder it ignores it and still creates it in the appdata. I wouldn't mind but I use kodi locally so if I change the pic or metadata I prefer it in the same folder as the artist so kodi is aware of it too.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

I Luke, I found the cause and the fix of the issue at least in my case.

The cause

I scanned my music library into emby. I then edited some of the tags in my music using mp3tag external to Emby. For some of the artists (The ones that made the issue) I only changed the case of the Artist Title. For example "bruce sprintsteen" was edited to become "Bruce Springsteen". On a refresh of the artist metadata done via emby the artist was then listed correctly as "Bruce Sprintsteen" but a duplicate artist was also left behind that displayed with no music in it for the old name eg "bruce springsteen".

The solution

I tried everything I could think of but the solution was to edit the problem artist which no longer existed and change it from "bruce springsteen" to some rubbish random name. After that the artist disappeared and was gone for good!

I hope this helps someone else.

Happy2Play

Creating a miss match with any artist or person (cast or crew) will make them disappear.  So you still have them in the database by what ever rubbish you entered, but now they are just not easily visable.

Hi, 

I have exactly the same problem, no files are created in my folder artists (artist.nfo, folder.jpg, etc ... ) but all this files are created in appdata folders. I don't understand how can I force this, If someome has the solution ? Thanks !

(sorry for my english, I'm French)

Edit : I read that the non-creation of the files is wanted :(

Edited by Ben0074

Happy2Play

Hi, 

I have exactly the same problem, no files are created in my folder artists (artist.nfo, folder.jpg, etc ... ) but all this files are created in appdata folders. I don't understand how can I force this, If someome has the solution ? Thanks !

(sorry for my english, I'm French)

Have you seen this?

Happy2Play

Yes I saw, If I understood, It's normal operation, so if I want metadata files on my artists folders I must copy/paste appdata files

If they already exist yes.  For anything new you have to change this setting (<EnableSimpleArtistDetection>false</EnableSimpleArtistDetection>) in your system.xml.

Edited by Happy2Play

That is not intended to be a preference that is flipped back and forth. There will undoubtedly be side effects to changing it.