Subtitles in Emby Server 3.2.7

MisaTurek

MisaTurek

Hi!
Please, can you help me!
I upgrade Emby server to 3.2.7 (Windows) yesterday morning. And after upgrade every subtitles have broken letters (czech letters as ě,š,č...).
In version 3.2.5 and older everythink was ok.

Please help me! About 8k files on my server arent working right at the moment :(

Thank you very much

MisaTurek

Hi there @@MisaTurek, we're very sorry to hear about this. In order for us to best help you, please provide the details of an example by providing the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Thank you for answer :)

There is screenshot and links to report.58c4348a625d4_spatneznaky.jpg

Correctly is "Vrátí se táta někdy domů?"

But when I download new sutitles, so they work correctly.

In PsPad, I found that my subtitles have code as UNIX/UTF-8 and new downloaded subtitles have code as DOS/Windows(CP-1250).

Thank you so much and I am sorry for my English :)

ffmpeg-remux-c9262891-a2a9-45c2-bd61-9658114b02bd.txt

server-63624787200.txt

Edited by MisaTurek

• 1 month later...
viadro

Hi In Polish Subtitles is the same problem,
Subtitle in file coe by ASCII but when i change code  manually to UTF-8 by notepad ++ it works correctly

58f5cd87c64e9_emby.png

Correctly is Puść mnie i uciekaj!

viadro

Ok it works thanks for help any idea to rename all subtitles in all library folders at once ?

Edited by viadro

viadro

Ok i made short script file run.bat with code

FOR /R "Y:\" %%f IN (*.srt) DO REN "%%f" *.pol.srt

Y:\ -is example

It change every file .srt to pol.srt in all folders

Edited by viadro

gabrielangst

Well, until the last days Emby could perfectly run portuguese subtitles, but yesterday the same issue started to occur (even with files that i've already tested before and were ok): characters like "á ã é í" are replaced by "?".

I guess the problem should be the newest version of Emby, right? Can i downgrade it?

I know renaming the file to ."...pob.srt" works, but there are a lot of files to rename. Also, i think it would be so easy to put in configuration menu an option to choose the default idiom of subtitles (ex.: when user set idiom to Portuguese, every srt should be read as pob.srt ). I think this would solve definitely this old related issue.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by gabrielangst

Hi @@gabrielangst, no, there is no problem in the latest version of Emby Server. Trying to figure out the encoding of a file is a very hard thing to do, and in the event we need to "guess", having the language in the file name helps make that easier. Thanks !

• 4 weeks later...
gabrielangst

Well, thanks and i'm sorry. The problem was with my windows (language for non unicode was setup to Bulgarian). After setting it to Portuguese, the special characters are working fine.

To do it, i just pressed WinKey + R, then ran "intl.cpl";

After that, went to the "Administrative" and then pressed "change the region of the system" (inside "idiom for non unicode software").

Edited by gabrielangst

• 9 months later...

Hi community, sorry for necroposting on this thread. I'd like to ask about the situation in 2018.

I'm considering change from the Plex to Emby as a media server for Kodi and standalone/mobile player too. Primary reason is subtitle behavior. Plex needs UTF-8 and there is unofficial converting agent but sometimes it does double conversion and sometimes is trully impossible to get right subtitles.

I need Czech subtitles, I have almost all files in the library with [videofile].cs.srt and some of them are using cp1250, some utf8.

So what is the situation nowadays, is subtitle support stable, any Czech user here?

Hi @@Luke, I think this is much easier than you wrote:

Hi @@gabrielangst, no, there is no problem in the latest version of Emby Server. Trying to figure out the encoding of a file is a very hard thing to do, and in the event we need to "guess", having the language in the file name helps make that easier. Thanks !

I don't know C# but this worth the try. GNU/linux command `file` (`file -i`) detects the encoding very well and `file` can be compiled to other platforms too. Or `enca`, it can be compiled for Win/Mac too. At least you can detect the encoding with the hard way by converting to several well-known encondings and comparing with the original file.

But I agree with the language code in the filename, I'm using this for the Kodi too because then I'll get the subtitle language label, not just "unknown".

Cheers.

The language code in the filename is the best approach because then you get to see the language in the UI and it gives us a pretty good guess at the encoding.

• 2 months later...
cursedslayerCZ

Bad, bad, bad. Version 3.4.1.14 Beta and problem still persist. But to the point. One and ONLY problem is, that some subtitles in external files (in my case in .srt) are saved with ANSI encoding. Its absolutely meaningless add "language tag" in srt filename, it makes nothing.

Everything what is needed is REsave subtitle file by notepad with UTF-8 or Unicode(it doesnt matter i tested both) encoding. Working... But u must do it with every damn subtitles...jeeeez

Bad, bad, bad. Version 3.4.1.14 Beta and problem still persist. But to the point. One and ONLY problem is, that some subtitles in external files (in my case in .srt) are saved with ANSI encoding. Its absolutely meaningless add "language tag" in srt filename, it makes nothing.

Everything what is needed is REsave subtitle file by notepad with UTF-8 or Unicode(it doesnt matter i tested both) encoding. Working... But u must do it with every damn subtitles...jeeeez

Detecting the encoding of a file can be difficult.

cursedslayerCZ

So. Can u add some menu to change it manually and circumvent detecting of encoding? Dont know how spread is that problem, but i think it interferes central europe at least.

• 4 months later...

just to add to this....greek subtitles that are encoded in iso format do not display correctly as well...they need to be converted to utf8 b4 they can be used with emby...

is it possible for emby to support iso encoding?

I have done it...nothing

I have changed the encoding to utf8 but for this particular subtitle it didn't make a difference...emby for lg continues to not show them properly