Actors don't get scraped for NFO imported content

Emby Tower

WannaTheater

@@Luke   Thank you!

I am looking forward to testing this out.  I have spent years meticulously maintaining NFOs, especially for media that cannot be scraped.  This will be great for my needs!

Edited by WannaTheater

Happy2Play

Ok @@Happy2Play @@WannaTheater @

I'm putting a change in for the next release. You can try this in the next beta by adding a new movie with pre-existing nfo. Thanks !

This would appear to be resolved from my testing in current beta cycle.

• 7 months later...

Hi

Each media have one nfo and files picture in local (create by tiny media Manager)

Emby is set to not download internet metadata or pictures.

And i check option import pictures in advance.

Luke said Emby doesn't use the .actors folder.

So what i need to set at emby to get a picture for each actors listed in nfo ?

thx.

Hi

Each media have one nfo and files picture in local (create by tiny media Manager)

Emby is set to not download internet metadata or pictures.

And i check option import pictures in advance.

Luke said Emby doesn't use the .actors folder.

So what i need to set at emby to get a picture for each actors listed in nfo ?

thx.

You would have to enable internet metadata. Thanks.

It will use all of the information in your nfo, but will supplement with additional internet downloaded information. Does that answer your question?

• 5 years later...
ksarnelli

I know it's 5 and a half years later, but it looks like this is still an issue as of 4.8.0.46.  I use TinyMediaManager to generate .nfo files as I use a few different media servers and don't want to have to verify matches more than once.  When viewing movie details in Emby actors show up but without images.  If i click on an individual actor the image loads and gets saved to the metadata/people folder.  This obviously isn't practical for thousands of actors, and i can't figure out a way to have Emby download all of the actor info either in advance or at the very least on--demand when viewing a movie details page.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

On 9/14/2023 at 10:39 PM, ksarnelli said:

I know it's 5 and a half years later, but it looks like this is still an issue as of 4.8.0.46.  I use TinyMediaManager to generate .nfo files as I use a few different media servers and don't want to have to verify matches more than once.  When viewing movie details in Emby actors show up but without images.  If i click on an individual actor the image loads and gets saved to the metadata/people folder.  This obviously isn't practical for thousands of actors, and i can't figure out a way to have Emby download all of the actor info either in advance or at the very least on--demand when viewing a movie details page.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can't do them all at once because that would hammer the sites hosting the images and they've asked us not to let this happen. The two possible approaches that I see are either for Emby to support the .actors folder or for TinyMediaManager to create those images in metadata/people ahead of time.

There are pros and cons to both of those. One issue with the idea of Emby supporting the .actors folders is that in Emby there's only one image per person. That means for example if you have multiple movies and tv shows with Tom Cruise, the image that you'd see in Emby for Tom Cruise would be the first one that happens to be imported, and there'd be no way to control that.

I personally don't have a problem with that but I don't know if that's going to be acceptable to users who have the .actors folder.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper
13 minutes ago, Luke said:

for TinyMediaManager to create those images in metadata/people ahead of time.

Tried to get that going few years back, it was eventually put on hold/internal ideas list due to complexity and limited Dev resources/time:

https://gitlab.com/tinyMediaManager/tinyMediaManager/-/issues/1448

for Emby to support the .actors folder

In the meantime, that is already feasible via community-made plugin, courtesy of @mickle026:

One issue with the idea of Emby supporting the .actors folders is that in Emby there's only one image per person. That means for example if you have multiple movies and tv shows with Tom Cruise, the image that you'd see in Emby for Tom Cruise would be the first one that happens to be imported, and there'd be no way to control that.

I personally don't have a problem with that but I don't know if that's going to be acceptable to users who have the .actors folder.

Yep, that's exactly the workflow using above mentioned plugin, personally have no issues with that, I much rather have all available actor images and manually change few odd ones every now and then if I don't like them then having none, so that's a fair trade IMHO. 

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 1

ksarnelli
4 hours ago, Luke said:

You can't do them all at once because that would hammer the sites hosting the images and they've asked us not to let this happen. The two possible approaches that I see are either for Emby to support the .actors folder or for TinyMediaManager to create those images in metadata/people ahead of time.

There are pros and cons to both of those. One issue with the idea of Emby supporting the .actors folders is that in Emby there's only one image per person. That means for example if you have multiple movies and tv shows with Tom Cruise, the image that you'd see in Emby for Tom Cruise would be the first one that happens to be imported, and there'd be no way to control that.

Thanks @Luke.  I do agree that having TinyMediaManager add support for a common people folder would be the best approach, and I did actually request the feature over in a Reddit post (thanks @GrimReaperfor linking the Gitlab FR in your reply - I added that link to the Reddit post).

As an alternative, it would be nice if Emby supported the .actors folder natively.  It makes sense that Emby would only recognize the first image that gets imported, and as Grimreaper mentioned it sure does beat no images .  In the meantime I'll check out that community plugin.  Thanks guys!