Live TV requires an external provider for Guide Data?

JoshFink

JoshFink

Hi, just a quick question around guide data. Am I correct in that I need to pay for an external provider of Guide Data and that there is nothing built out of the box with Emby to take care of that? 

Currently migrating over from Plex to Emby (or at least trying) and I noticed this. With Plex it just pulled down the guide data for me (U.S. based). 

Thanks

Josh

Yes, although if you can locate a free XmlTV data source for your location then that is possible too.

JoshFink

Yes, although if you can locate a free XmlTV data source for your location then that is possible too.

Thanks Luke.. Can you suggest a good place to look for this? I'm in Atlanta, GA. 

In the US the only option I'm aware of is the zap2xml techniques to use data from your WMC installation. There might be others.

Keep in mind, Schedules Direct is very cheap at $25/year.

JoshFink

In the US the only option I'm aware of is the zap2xml techniques to use data from your WMC installation. There might be others.

Thanks.. No I get that. It's just $25 more a year than I'm paying now..  :) $25 isn't bad though considering other things I spend money on. 

I might just keep Plex recording shows and then Emby can pick them up and play them. We don't watch anything live. 

zigzagtshirt

I'm a big fan of zap2xml.  It's easy to set up.  Once you have the very simple script tuned to your liking, it works great.

JoshFink

I'm a big fan of zap2xml.  It's easy to set up.  Once you have the very simple script tuned to your liking, it works great.

Am I wrong in inferring that I need a Windows Media Center setup to begin with for this though? 

zigzagtshirt

Am I wrong in inferring that I need a Windows Media Center setup to begin with for this though? 

No.

My setup is HDHomeRun Prime running right into Emby.  I don't have WMC.

Edited by zigzagtshirt

No.

My setup is HDHomeRun Prime running right into Emby.

Ah, so you're using the new support for older tuners? Because the Prime does not have the Dlna features, right?

I have the HDHomeRun Connect : HDHR4-2US

That's fine. I was just asking zigzagtshirt an unrelated question.

zigzagtshirt

Ah, so you're using the new support for older tuners? Because the Prime does not have the Dlna features, right?

If I understand correctly, the new Primes are DLNA capable with a firmware upgrade.  I actually just received it yesterday.  I plugged it in and it immediately worked.  The hardest part was getting the cable company to properly activate the cable card.

Then I just ran zap2xml to get my guide data, paired my channels, and I was good to go.

JoshFink

That's fine. I was just asking zigzagtshirt an unrelated question.

I figured that. I hit post and didn't finish my sentence. I was going to say, will my version support the same method he has or do I need a WMC server inbetween?

JoshFink

If I understand correctly, the new Primes are DLNA capable with a firmware upgrade.  I actually just received it yesterday.  I plugged it in and it immediately worked.  The hardest part was getting the cable company to properly activate the cable card.

Then I just ran zap2xml to get my guide data, paired my channels, and I was good to go.

Thanks @zigzagtshirt, I'll check this out. 

Any tips for getting this setup easily?

Edited by JoshFink

zigzagtshirt

Thanks @zigzagtshirt, I'll check this out. 

Any tips for getting this setup easily?

I found this thread.. I'll give this a try to play with it. 

Go to http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/ to get the required download, and follow the directions to get registered for either zap2it.com or tvguide.com listings.

I don't have my file in front of me right now, but I think mine is something like this:

zap2xml.exe -u zap2xmluser@email.xx -p password -A "new" -i icons -I -T -D -o tvguidedata.xml -d 7 -n 2

I put this in a .bat file in the same directory as the zap2xml executable.  I schedule it to run every night on its own.  Once you point Emby to the file, it will update the listings in Emby whenever the server runs the "refresh guide data" scheduled process.

the -d 7 requests 7 days of data; the -n 2 means that it will cache the first 5 days of data, and refresh the last 2 days of data.  The initial run of this will take a long time, but subsequent runs will be a lot quicker since it is only refreshing 2 days worth hence forth.

I think I might port this to my raspberry pi since I don't always have my emby server running at night when it's schedule to update tv guide.

Edited by zigzagtshirt
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
breezytm

Not that cheap considering every other platforms are offloading that cost elsewhere. Plex gives me guide for free if I am Plexpass customer. Google gives the guide for free and offload the cost elsewhere. Microsoft gives me the guide for free and offload the cost elsewhere. HDhomerun charges me only if I want more than 3 days guide. Emby wants me to pay for the guide even though I am a premiere customer and I also already paid HDHR for guide. HDHR supposedly get their guide from Schedule Direct. 

UHMMMMM No I AM NOT PAYING THREE TIMES. It is as if you guys want people to use schedule direct. The question is why?

Edited by breezytm

breezytm

So yes $25 bucks is way more than I wish to pay for guide. As a matter fact I wouldn't even pay a dollar for it since it is available in two other places that I can think of free of charge. The way I look at it is: Emby can either provide it to me for free since I am a premiere member or give me the option to get it for free. I have been asking this for the longest and it doesn't seem as if you guys are even entertaining it. 

Please don't disrespect me by saying "we already provide you the option to get it elsewhere using xmltv". Clearly it is not the same thing. 

• 3 months later...
Riboflavin

I know this is an old thread...

Been trying to get zap2it setup, but doesn't seem to want to read my .bat file that I've created.  Username/password is all correct.  All the other info is correct according to instructions as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm wondering if Windows 10 fouled up the initial download, but everything appears to be there as far as I can tell. 

Thanks!!

Can you explain what you mean by doesn't want to read your bat file? Thanks.

Riboflavin

Can you explain what you mean by doesn't want to read your bat file? Thanks.

I create the .bat file with the necessary login info.

When I run the zap2xml.exe, it pops up cmd window, but all it shows is:

zap2xml (2018-06-03)
Command line: S:\zap2\zap2xml.exe
zap2xml <zap2xml@.com> (2018-06-03)
and below this it just lists all the options you can add to the .bat file along with their definitions.  The window closes after a couple seconds.  No xml is generated or anything else.
Edited by Riboflavin