audiobook sorting and management

SwanStream

SwanStream

I've just got the audiobook library setup in my media (THANKS for adding support!)

I realize it's early days for audiobook support, but will there be more useful filters such as pull downs for available genres, authors, etc other mp3 tag items?

Right now I can sort by name, but it doesn't seem to be title or author, so I'm not sure what "name" it's using?

Filters I see are: played, unplayed, resumable, favorites, likes, dislikes.... none terribly usable for audiobooks.

My method may not be 'normal' but I use Title as the book title, Artist for the author, and less obvious maybe, I use Album for a series of books, i.e. "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" is the title, "Jeff Lindsay" is the Artist, "Dexter 01" is the album, genre is the genre, and if I know/care I'll add the narrator as the comment. If a book is broken up into many sub-files, I'll use track to manage that info within the tag. So ideally I'd like to be able to search/filter based on any of those with wild cards.

Any idea when/if such will be available?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
twinkybot

Is there an ETA espacially since 3.6.0.4x and up. I re-scanned my audiobooks with the appropriate type. The problem is that there are for a serie with multiple Autors/Artists. I made this easily available with genres for example (Sci-Fi, Horror, <series name>, etc.)

Right now it is hard to find particular albums if the Autor is not known.

twinkybot

Ah sorry for that. Let me try :)

Let's assume we have two series "Warhammer 40k" and "Das schwarze Auge".

For each of those series there are many contributors i.e. Autors like Ben Counter, Dan Abnett, Gav Thorpe and so forth. Each of them wrote couple of Books which have been read by different People (sometimes more than one)

I have the following folder structure

<Artist>/<Album Artist>/<Album>/<files>

which would for example look like

Ben Counter/Gareth Armstrong, Robin Bowerman, Ian Brooker, Steve Conlin, Jonathan Keeble/Parting of the Ways/<files>.mp3

Formerly this Library was set as Music and therefore showed the Albums nicely grouped by the Autor = <Artist>

The grouping by topic "Warhammer 40k" and "Das schwarze Auge" was done by the Genre. The first one had set Sci-Fi and  Warhammer 40k the latter Das schwarze Auge and Fantasy

As my audiobook library was scanned as of type music I could go to the genre tab and select one genre (e.g. "Fantasy") and then select the desired album. This lead to a view like normal music albums with the coverart, genre and the tracks themselves.

With the audiobook type everything is simply a folder no meta data and then a list of individual files. I do understand that I can change the folder structure to re-build to a certain degree how it was before. But still the mp3-tags are not read.

And you can imagine that I do not know, especially after a while, which autor wrote for which series. It has just gotten harder to find a album for a specific serie.

I hope Iexplained it better this time?

Edited by twinkybot