Make available offline

Jack Burton

Jack Burton

Just started playing around with some features and came across this. When I select it on a music artist, it downloads to the path I specified, great! Question is, if I go out of the house and play the same artist, will emby play it over the server using data, or will it automatically play the offline files, using no data?

Jack Burton

It will play the offline files. Enjoy.

That is awesome! I really want to be able to eventually have Emby take care of all my media, movies, tv, music, ebooks, comics, audiobooks, etc. I've been playing around with the music features lately, and to be honest, it'll be incredibly difficult for me to ditch Spotify and have Emby compete with it, but this is a great step and an awesome feature!

maegibbons

It will play the offline files. Enjoy.

I thought emby was unable to play synced content at the moment.  Does this also apply to Films or just Music?

I thought you had to use an external player.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

kmarq13

I thought emby was unable to play synced content at the moment.  Does this also apply to Films or just Music?

I thought you had to use an external player.

Krs

Mark

I believe so long as you have an internet connection for it to connect initially it will play the offline files. If you have no internet connection the app doesn't work at all. 

Eagerly waiting for it to work in airplane mode entirely.

• 4 months later...

@@Jack Burton

@@kmarq13

2.9.32 is rolling out and supports offline browsing and playback. The feature is still very new so please make sure to leave your feedback and we will continue to improve it. Thanks !

kmarq13

@@Jack Burton

@@kmarq13

2.9.32 is rolling out and supports offline browsing and playback. The feature is still very new so please make sure to leave your feedback and we will continue to improve it. Thanks !

Awesome. I look forward to giving this a try. I'm assuming a bigger announcement on this is going to be made once it rolls out? I'm guessing there are lots of people that were waiting for this.

• 6 months later...
mrmarkfr

I've downloaded 10 series from my server, but when I load up Emby, and choose downloaded content, the interface just lists all the episodes, not the browser interface, like online.

This is running on an Intel based Chinese tablet, but Kodi runs fine(and is pointed currently to the Emby download directory).

Is this normal?

Also, in the view with the episodes, I have a constantly turning circle in the middle of the screen.

Follow up

I tested this on my Note4, and it works the same way.  The downloaded episodes all get lumped together, even if they're from different series or seasons.

Is there a way to have them organized, at least into shows, if not in seasons?

Also, will it record the watched status, so when I sync back up, it will update the server's watched status?

Edited by mrmarkfr

I've downloaded 10 series from my server, but when I load up Emby, and choose downloaded content, the interface just lists all the episodes, not the browser interface, like online.

This is running on an Intel based Chinese tablet, but Kodi runs fine(and is pointed currently to the Emby download directory).

Is this normal?

Also, in the view with the episodes, I have a constantly turning circle in the middle of the screen.

Follow up

I tested this on my Note4, and it works the same way.  The downloaded episodes all get lumped together, even if they're from different series or seasons.

Is there a way to have them organized, at least into shows, if not in seasons?

Also, will it record the watched status, so when I sync back up, it will update the server's watched status?

Hi, we will add grouping by series in a future update. Thanks.

• Like 1

andrew0404

Hey Luke,

Just started testing out syncing and offline playback.  Three small issues, you may already have this on your radar:

1) The emby app has a very nice feature where I can long press emby and select "downloaded files".  Unfortunately it still has to wait until a connection attempt to the server times out before it displays them.  There should be a way to skip the connection attempt on the loading screen to immediately get at your offline files, and when using the "downloaded files" shortcut, it shouldn't even bother trying to connect.

2)  It doesn't seem to sync the watched status/position back to the server when getting home.  I had read that the app tries to queue a sync job periodically, like every 15 minutes, I would think that when this happened the app would update the servers watched status.  I gave it several hours to possibly sync.  This should happen quickly, since if I was watching an offline file (say during a commute home) and want to finish it on my TV, that watched status should be updated.  Maybe give us an intent that we can automate with tasker or something to kick off a sync?  It did correctly remove an episode that I watched on the server.  The next day that episode was gone from my device and another had been downloaded.  Awesome! 

3) When attempting to sync some episodes/movies I noticed that very frequently, when I would pick up my device, the sync had stopped and had to start over.  It seemed to be happening when the screen turned off.  I made sure that there was no battery/data optimization being done to Emby.  It seems this has been an ongoing issue, and there are a lot of options to try and get around different issues that can cause it.  I looked in Accounts and Sync which was suggested in one thread, but I do not see Emby there, or an option to add an Emby account.

I am running the Beta Android app and Beta Ubuntu server.

Thanks for all of the hard work being put into Emby.

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

hi @@andrew0404, thanks for the feedback !

The emby app has a very nice feature where I can long press emby and select "downloaded files".  Unfortunately it still has to wait until a connection attempt to the server times out before it displays them.

We're looking into this, thanks.

It doesn't seem to sync the watched status/position back to the server when getting home. 

It's something we'll be adding soon.

When attempting to sync some episodes/movies I noticed that very frequently, when I would pick up my device, the sync had stopped and had to start over. 

Is this still an issue?

• 4 months later...
AdrianW
The emby app has a very nice feature where I can long press emby and select "downloaded files".  Unfortunately it still has to wait until a connection attempt to the server times out before it displays them.

We're looking into this, thanks.

Any chance of getting access to downloaded content for offline use quicker?

It's a pain waiting for the spinning circle every time I start the app whilst away from home.

AdrianW

I watched a couple of episodes on the train today, and when I got home and back online with my server, those episodes were automatically marked as watched and removed from my phone without me having to do anything. 

That's awesome functionality - great work guys. I'm glad I decided to give the android app another look this week.

screwfaze

I too agree with this when using play music for example I don't know how they do it but that's how I dream emby will be someday so quick and responsive when offline.

Any chance of getting access to downloaded content for offline use quicker?

It's a pain waiting for the spinning circle every time I start the app whilst away from home.

AdrianW

This may be a ridiculous suggestion - but could you use location services to detect that the device is away from home and then skip the server detection step?

Although that may be an issue for users who access their server via mobile data.

I think that's too much of an assumption, plus it would require a permission which people will complain about. 

• 1 year later...
Guest worthington_j

In this thread it was mentioned that syncing the watched status/position from the android device back to the server was something that was going to be added soon.  Is there a tracker I can follow for when this enhancement will be made available?