Inconvenience in Auto-Organise

mutu310

mutu310

When the auto-organise picks up TV shows, it moves them to the TV shows folder. This is quick because the file is moved (i.e. the entry in the filesystem is changed and the file is not physically moved in the hard disk). However there is one exception. If the file exists already, Emby Server tries to overwrite. However, the way it does it is by copying the file to the new location, which is slow in cases of large files. It would be far more efficient if the existing file is deleted and the new file moved.

True but that's not as safe of an operation. If there is a problem with the move after the delete, then you'll be left without a media file. i suppose renaming the initial copy might be possible, then deleting after everything is finished.

• Like 2

mutu310

True but that's not as safe of an operation. If there is a problem with the move after the delete, then you'll be left without a media file. i suppose renaming the initial copy might be possible, then deleting after everything is finished.

I was thinking along the same exact lines while reading your first two sentences. What you suggest is far more efficient than the current operation and would save time, electricity and improve hard disk lifetime [emoji14] I had this problem while reorganising folders and it took me several hours to finish. Edited by mutu310

mutu310

Additionally when moving the renamed file, what you should do is have something specific in the filename so that if a library scan is under way it could be set to ignore files with that 'something specific in the filename' so it doesn't end up adding the movie twice while it is in a temporary state of two files.

• Like 1