4K MP4 performs poorly on Windows Store Emby

FordGT90Concept
Go to solution Solved by FordGT90Concept,

FordGT90Concept

Plays fine via MPC-HC x64:

Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 3840x2160 25fps 31397kbps [V: Alias Data Handler [eng] (h264 main L5.1, yuv420p, 3840x2160, 31397 kb/s)]

Audio: AAC 48000Hz stereo 317kbps [A: Alias Data Handler [eng] (aac lc, 48000 Hz, stereo, 317 kb/s)]

From website:

Media Info

Video

Codec H264

Codec tag avc1

AVC Yes

Profile Main

Level 51

Resolution 3840x2160

Aspect ratio 16:9

Anamorphic No

Interlaced No

Framerate 25

Bitrate 31397 kbps

Bit depth 8 bit

Pixel format yuv420p

Ref frames 3

NAL 4

Audio

Language eng

Codec AAC

Codec tag mp4a

Profile LC

Layout stereo

Channels 2 ch

Bitrate 317 kbps

Sample rate 48000 Hz

Default Yes

Title Eng AAC stereo Default

Container mp4

Path\\SERVER\Videos\Music\video_game_show_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_concert_4K.mp4

It also does poorly via the website but it runs better though the website than Windows Store Emby.

Edited by FordGT90Concept

Due to the level 51 video this will most likely be transcoding and I suspect the 4K transcode might be hard on your server. But server logs will help us verify that. thanks !

FordGT90Concept

It shouldn't be transcoding though. My computer has a R9 390 and R7 360. The network can handle 113 MB/s transfers. MPC-HC, I'm literally playing it over the network.

Bandwidth setting was set to Auto. Changed it to 4K 120 Mbps and it still skips.

MPC-HC, it is averaging about 60 Mbps of network traffic.

Both graphics cards are capable of handling the video through MPC-HC.

logs.zip

The windows store app is using the built in Windows video player and according to it's documentation it only accepts up to level 41. This is not a question of network bandwidth, it's a question of what the Windows video player supports.

You are probably better off with the traditional desktop app which has a more robust video player:

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

FordGT90Concept

That fixed it. Is there a similar explanation for why it can't play smooth in browser (tried Microsoft Edge)?

We are also limiting Edge to level 41 based on it's documentation. So yes, same explanation. For chrome we allow up to 51 though.

• Like 1

I just did some new testing with Edge and I have some level 51 content that is playing OK so we'll go ahead and enable that for the next release. thanks.

• Like 1

• Solution
FordGT90Concept

Updated Emby Server to 3.2.7.0 and it's not only fixed in Edge but also the Windows Store app. They likely use the same infrastructure for playing back MPEG4 videos.

Yes I think the Edge video player is the system video player which the store app also uses.

• Like 1