Video playback error Roku, via Windows 10 Emby server

ScottyJ

ScottyJ

Hi,

I have been using Emby for a while now and it has been working great, so THANKS! I was previously running Emby on a Windows 7 machine and recently upgraded the machine to Windows 10. Everything worked smoothly with my Windows 7 machine, but now that I upgraded the OS (not the hardware) I cannot get any files that have DTS to play. I get the following error:

i Video Error

An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected. 

This only happens when I try and play a file that has DTS enabled. I have tried watching the movie with the beta app on the Roku and the "released" app as well. The movie will try and load, get to about 1/3 of the way and stop. With the beta app it will give me the error above, in the released version it just times out. Note on some movies I have stereo and DTS and the stereo audio plays just fine, and in the beta app if I try and switch the audio it says "Unable to select audio track" I have included the log files. Thanks in advance for your help.

Windows Emby Server: Version 3.2.5.0

Windows 10 Pro

Roku Premiere+

ffmpeg-remux-ed9fad2d-6070-4938-9c14-bcf1d69d8a56.txt

ffmpeg-remux-b891deda-43c4-45b9-9cb7-eb59fc2488a6.txt

server-63624427107.txt

hi @@ScottyJ, can you please try something as a test. Can you please download a newer ffmpeg build here:

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Then unzip to a folder of your choice and set it up in the emby server dashboard under the Transcoding menu. Then try to play the file. thanks !

ScottyJ

No dice... I was able to download and point Emby to the latest ffmpeg, but on the app side it behaved the same. On my computer it instantly used up ALL of my RAM (16GB)?!?

Would you mind trying the beta server and see if that makes a difference? you can install that from the website on top of your existing version. thanks !

ScottyJ

I installed the beta version of Emby server (Version 3.2.6.1 beta). I'm able to play videos now that only have DTS, but it's not playing in surround sound. It will only play in stereo, and the files that have DTS/stereo, when selecting the DTS audio track it states: "Unable to select audio track"

On a side note installing the beta version deleted all my profiles and libraries. It seems as the info is still in the folders. Is there anyway to reload my settings? 

server-63624441600.txt

The beta version wouldn't have removed anything, something else must have happened. Why do you think profiles were deleted?

In any event, this log here is still from the stable release, not the beta version. Can you provide a log from the beta version? Thanks.

ScottyJ

Ok, at this point I'm glad you're able to play. I will need @@ebr's assistance in troubleshooting the audio track selection inside the Roku app. When he's online in the morning he'll see this and offer his opinion.

The roku app has an in-app log submission feature. He may ask you to do that. Thanks !

Yes, if you can please do the following in the beta Roku app:

1) Go into settings and turn on "Debug options"

2) Reproduce the issue where you get the message that it cannot select the track

3) Return to the home screen, scroll to the bottom and select "Send Log"

4) Come back here and tell me:

• What you played
  • What time you sent the log
  • The name of the Emby server

Thanks!

ScottyJ

Hi I did those steps last night.

• I tried to play Big Hero 6
  • The log was sent at about 8pm 4/8/17 (MST)
  • Emby server name: HASWELL-HTPC

I'm pretty sure debug options were on. Let me know if I need to do this again. 

Hi.  I see your log but it looks like the item simply failed to play.  I thought we were looking for a situation where it wouldn't allow you to select a specific audio stream.

ScottyJ

Hi,

I created a new log.

• I played Cars, and tried to select the Eng Dolby 5.1 sound track and it failed
  • This log was sent at 8:30 pm MST 3/9/17
  • Emby server name: HASWELL-HTPC

I noticed that I'm running a new release of Emby server 3.2.7, THANKS Luke!

Thanks.  I guess the issue is that the Roku cannot handle multiple audio tracks in an mp4 container.  So we will have to transcode in that situation.

The roku device profile used to have a check against the selected audio track being a secondary track, and if so, using transcoding. I could be mistaken but I think we may have removed that on advice from @@speechles.

The roku device profile used to have a check against the selected audio track being a secondary track, and if so, using transcoding. I could be mistaken but I think we may have removed that on advice from @@speechles.

Not quite. Close though.

It is about their position in the mp4 container. If the first track is stereo aac, and second track is surround ac3, all is well, depending on the audio setup you get a stereo or surround track. The app has to do nothing and it direct plays.

If the first track is surround ac3, and the second is stereo aac there is an issue. A stereo setup will produce silence on direct play. You cannot get to the second stereo aac track when direct playing.

The old app has an audio&subtitles button that when used forces transcoding and respects your choices. Then during playback, the normal roku captions * menu can be used to pick among what is available.

The new app has foregone this audio&subtitle button for one inside the video player using the captions * button. This now has to decide should it transcode, or direct play? We never made decisions/rules for this, since in the old app any use of the audio&subtitle button would be our check if we transcode to provide the choice.

I think the new app needs to have an audio&subtitles button, before you invoke the video player. Using this would cause transcoding and remove the decision/rules problem. Instead of what the new app is doing now when it tries to change audio tracks during direct play, when it is not possible. The old app never did this, hence never had the issue.

The MKV container on roku has much more versatility and makes it able to change audio and subtitle tracks on the fly without the stereo first, surround second issue.

Edited by speechles

Also, roku presently has an issue with pass-through of the DTS core on newer models. In the blue neon app, the work-around is go to settings and change "Convert DTS to AC3" option to YES. This will disregard the DTS support the roku detects and transcode DTS->AC3. You may want to do this until roku fixes their firmwares.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

It is about their position in the mp4 container. If the first track is stereo aac, and second track is surround ac3, all is well, depending on the audio setup you get a stereo or surround track. The app has to do nothing and it direct plays.

If the first track is surround ac3, and the second is stereo aac there is an issue. A stereo setup will produce silence on direct play. You cannot get to the second stereo aac track when direct playing.

The problem with that is it ignores our server-based automatic audio track selection logic so that approach won't really work in the new app as we are always trying to select a particular one - not just relying on the player.

The problem with that is it ignores our server-based automatic audio track selection logic so that approach won't really work in the new app as we are always trying to select a particular one - not just relying on the player.

This still respects the server logic. This is how the audio&subtitle button selections are remembered for next time, it is rely on the server to remember. The app then uses player.playoptions to tell if a different subtitle or audio track was chosen than the default, if so this causes transcoding to occur. This errors on the side of transcoding always when it may not need to which is acceptable. It will burn in graphical subtitles and/or allow use of any audio track regardless of placement in the container. Meaning, selecting any audio-track/subtitle stream this way is 100% independent of the player when using * button.

The old app allowed this for the very situation you are describing. I can tell you havent used the old app very much. Not a criticism either, its just clear how it works isnt clear. Thats why I am clear it up. :)

Note: If I was able to poke my nose around the code, like I could the old app, I could be of more help. Sharing is caring. Not meaning fork either, meaning pulls pushed upstream.

Edited by speechles

ScottyJ

So if I'm following correctly I should install the blue neon app, or wait for Roku to fix it's firmware if I want DTS? 

So if I'm following correctly I should install the blue neon app, or wait for Roku to fix it's firmware if I want DTS?

If you want surround sound. The blue neon has been through broken roku firmwares before. There are a bevy of options to work around broken firmwares. The issue you have is new devices cant extract the core DTS track from DTS-HD MA.