Custom Node for Recently Released in Movies

JoshFink

JoshFink

Hi, hopefully I can explain this a little better than the Topic Title. 

I almost have everything working with Kodi and Emby. Works fantastic so far but I now need to make it a little more wife/kid proof. 

Currently I have it set in Kiosk Mode so that the kids, or my wife accidentally, aren't going in and changing views, sort order, etc.

One thing that my wife constantly likes to do is go into Movies and see what is recently released. Normally I would go to Sort: Years Descending and I'd be good to go except for the lock down (which is honestly more for myself rather than them as I'd have to fix it constantly. 

I see Recently added but not Recently Released (sorted by Year Descending). Someone on Reddit suggested I add a new node. Which I know how to do but the problem I'm having is that it's pulling from all movies rather than pull from my library that is called Movies (which weeds out the kids movies which are in a separate library). 

If none of that make sense, what I'd really like is a sub menu item that shows All Movies in the Emby library movies sorted by year descending. 

BTW, I'm using the Titan skin if that makes a difference. 

Thanks for the help

Josh

Edited by JoshFink

djhifi

This is a question to be posted on the actual KODI.tv forums and not here. But I can help out.

1 - What you ask is Skin implemented, meaning not all the skins support it.

2 - What you want is WIDGETS. That has to do with KODI itself and not with the addon nor server apps

3 - Skins like AEON MQ (which I also use) have the ability you ask for. You can customize widgets on each menu entry to show whatever they offer you, from Recently Added (your own database scans - provided you have one) to "In The Theatres" (pulled from the web), the choices are various.

4 - All of this is possible, again, because of skin implementation of some scripts (some of which are indeed maintained by some devs of this server app) but, as I said, this has nothing to do with the addon for EMBY in KODI itself.

Cheers

Edited by djhifi

JoshFink

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I appreciate the answer.

I'm familiar with widgets but I was hoping not to use them as it doesn't really work out for what I'm trying to do. They're great if you're trying to get list of 10 or so movies but what would be great would be able to see the full movie list and just work down the list sorted A-Z by year. This way she can go through and see what's she's missed because she hasn't had a chance to catch up in a while.

The reason I posted this over here as I can get it to work for straight Kodi, I just can't get it to work for Kodi with Emby as I can't connect to just the library I want to see as it pulls in all Movies regardless of what library they're in. 

I'm using the Titan skin BTW. 

Thanks

Edited by JoshFink

djhifi

If you're familiar with widgets you must know that you can manually set the number of displayed items you want in the "library helper" script inside the "addon" tab from within kodi settings?

That solves your problem. Or am I missing something here?

From what I can tell, you want the ability, from the main screen, to press the up arrow on the remote and navigate (horizontally right and left) from all the new updates to your database scans, am I right?

Which skin are you using?

2 - You can also create menu entries with smart playlists with settings defined by yourself. On my case, on AEON MQ7 I can press down and have pre-made filters such as sorting by year, studio, genre, etc, which after pressed takes me to the said sorting screen.

EDIT: After further re-reading your OP I realized that what you want is the now EDITED point 2 of this answer. Install AEON MQ7, it comes with those filters and even more, already pre-defined on the sub menus. With the plus of being the best skin for KODI imo.

Edited by djhifi

JoshFink

This is probably just me not explaining it well (again, appreciate the reply)

What I want is from the main screen to be able to go a submenu and just click "Recently Released" or something similar that will take me into the full view, which I have configured to Poster Wall, that you can then see all the movies and just scroll down the list. 

i.e. Same view as normal when you go in and it's sorted by Title but it's sorted by Year descending. 

djhifi

This is probably just me not explaining it well (again, appreciate the reply)

What I want is from the main screen to be able to go a submenu and just click "Recently Released" or something similar that will take me into the full view, which I have configured to Poster Wall, that you can then see all the movies and just scroll down the list. 

i.e. Same view as normal when you go in and it's sorted by Title but it's sorted by Year descending. 

I already got it, read 2. of my previous answer.

JoshFink

Ahhh. I must have missed that. I'll look into Smart Playlists.. Thanks 

Edited by JoshFink

JoshFink

Edit... 

Looking at Smart Playlists in more depth, I have a question. When creating a Rule for the Smart Playlist, how do I tell it to look at the Emby Library "Kids Movies" or such? 

I don't see a way to delineate. 

Thanks

djhifi

You dont have to specify anything in that case. Just create an "includes" filter on the said playlist. And define the include sub-filter for "movies" or "years" or...both. 

JoshFink

You dont have to specify anything in that case. Just create an "includes" filter on the said playlist. And define the include sub-filter for "movies" or "years" or...both. 

Thanks.. Maybe I'm missing something obvious but without a rule that specifies to just pull from the correct Emby library it seems to pull all Movies, even ones that are not part of the library. 

Essentially I need to populate the "Find items where..." which requires a rule to limit it to that library. 

inzombyac

Each of the Emby libraries has a tag that corresponds to the name of the library ex: "Kids Movies".  You could use the tag as a filter in the smart playlist.  

JoshFink

Each of the Emby libraries has a tag that corresponds to the name of the library ex: "Kids Movies".  You could use the tag as a filter in the smart playlist.  

Oh.. How about that? Let me check that out.  Thanks

JoshFink

Wow.. That worked great.. THANK YOU!!!

One last question. Is it possible to create two "Order By's" for a smart playlist? Right now it sorts properly by Year but it's also sorting the Titles Z-A for some reason rather than A-Z. 

djhifi

Wow.. That worked great.. THANK YOU!!!

One last question. Is it possible to create two "Order By's" for a smart playlist? Right now it sorts properly by Year but it's also sorting the Titles Z-A for some reason rather than A-Z. 

Mate not to bug you but have you actually followed my first advice? Let me repeat it with another kind of more direct approach:

http://kodi.wiki/view/smart_playlists

:)

• Like 1

JoshFink

Mate not to bug you but have you actually followed my first advice? Let me repeat it with another kind of more direct approach:

http://kodi.wiki/view/smart_playlists

:)

To be direct as well,  :) , I'm pretty sure I replied right below your suggestion stating that it did not work and that without a way to limit by movies that the library was in it was pulling everything in. Unless this only applies to Aeon MQ which, honestly, I didn't want to go and switch since I like Titan. 

The only way that this has worked correctly was to utilize the Tag feature that was suggestion above. 

Again, I had asked for a clarification on it above but didn't get a clarification until your last reply. 

djhifi

To be direct as well,  :) , I'm pretty sure I replied right below your suggestion stating that it did not work and that without a way to limit by movies that the library was in it was pulling everything in. Unless this only applies to Aeon MQ which, honestly, I didn't want to go and switch since I like Titan. 

The only way that this has worked correctly was to utilize the Tag feature that was suggestion above. 

Again, I had asked for a clarification on it above but didn't get a clarification until your last reply. 

@@JoshFink

When I was referring to "my suggestion" was actually heading over to kodi.tv which you did not do. Just that. And now, to save you time, I've posted the direct link to the specific Wiki you should have followed as I said some posts above. Because this is not related with the addon. But Im glad you sorted it out with our help nevertheless. But use the wiki next time I just intended to cut you time, because everything you need is right there :D

When you answered it was not working you must have made some misunderstanding as I suggested that you include TAGS on the "includes" section. It has nothing to do with AEON MQ, I just added that AEON MQ had smart playlists pre-enabled.

Furthermore when I mentioned "includes" I said it thinking you already knew what Tags were because you can only include...tags on smart play lists. This answer right here:

"You dont have to specify anything in that case. Just create an "includes" filter on the said playlist. And define the include sub-filter for "movies" or "years" or...both."  --> Tags in bold.

Kids Movies is also another tag, but I seriously thought you already got it lol. It seems you didn't. Altough now you do.

Anyway, it's sorted. Which is what you intended. Glad it is.

PS: Check your other opened thread, as it's also been given an answer.

Cheers.

Edited by djhifi

JoshFink

@@djhifi

Thank you very much for your thought out answer. I really do appreciate the help and I wasn't trying to be dense. 

It's very much appreciated. 

Josh

• Like 1