4K Video will Stream on mobile device but not on browser

Spork Hero

Spork Hero

Hello all!

I recently started watching 4k video content, however, it will only stream on my mobile devices for some reason.  My server has 2 GTX 980ti's in SLI, a 6850k and 32Gigs of RAM.  My laptop that I am streaming to has a GTX 980M a 6820HK, 32Gigs of RAM and a 4k display.  For some reason, on Chrome and Firefox, the video pauses every few seconds during streaming, it is connected about 10 feet from the router using a 5Ghz ac connection, my server is hard wired into the router.  The odd thing is that my phone and tablet stream the video just fine at the same 4k 120 Mbits per second, is there anything I can do?

Edited by Spork Hero

In this case it's transcoding the video and it appears your machine is just not able to do it fast enough. This is happening because the video format is HEVC which web browsers do not currently support.

The reason it plays better in the mobile apps is because they're able to handle the HEVC without requiring the server to transcode it. Does that answer your question? Thanks !

Spork Hero

It does! Is it possible to offload the transcoding to the GPU? It is checked in the transcoding menu and I am positive that it should be able to handle it, that being said, I would also think that 6 hypertreaded cores at 4.4 Ghz would handle it too.

Edited by Spork Hero

JeremyFr79

It does! Is it possible to offload the transcoding to the GPU? It is checked in the transcoding menu and I am positive that it should be able to handle it, that being said, I would also think that 6 hypertreaded cores at 4.4 Ghz would handle it too.

The 980's dont support HEVC hardware decode so there would be no way to offload decode to them.  While that's a good processor you have to remember that you are trying to have it decode and playback a 4K file AND re-encode/compress it to a new resolution/format etc real time.  That is ALOT of work for even the most modern of CPU's right now.

Spork Hero

After my own 3 seconds of research I determined that I cannot, the GM200 used in the 960 series has support for hevc, but the GM204 used in second generation Maxwell does not support the technology unfortunately.  Similar issue with the Broadwell-E series of processors.

JeremyFr79

After my own 3 seconds of research I determined that I cannot, the GM200 used in the 960 series has support for hevc, but the GM204 used in second generation Maxwell does not support the technology unfortunately.  Similar issue with the Broadwell-E series of processors.

KabyLake are the only processors with HEVC and VP9 hardware decode.

Guest asrequested

KabyLake are the only processors with HEVC and VP9 hardware decode.

Skylake does. too. My i7 6700k handles HEVC really well

JeremyFr79

Skylake does. too. My i7 6700k handles HEVC really well

Only partially, it doesn't have 10 or 12 bit support among other things.  KabyLake has FULL support not just partial.

Guest asrequested

Only partially, it doesn't have 10 or 12 bit support among other things.  KabyLake has FULL support not just partial.

That's good to know. I'll probably be building a new HTPC, sometime this year

JeremyFr79

The other thing to note is that alot of sources are choosing VP9 instead of HEVC so it's very important if you want to "future proof" a bit to make sure whatever you purchase can do both.