app icon color

dcook

dcook

So the classic emby app had a black background, and the new one was blue so it was easy to choose between the classic and the new app on the Roku

Now both of them have the same blue color and you can't tell them apart until you actually click on one and figure it out.

Can you change the classic app icon back to black?

Well, that's because Roku went ahead and updated the channel information even though the version hasn't upgraded yet.  The main channel is going to upgrade at some point in the not too distant future.  At that point, there will only be one.

For folks who need the old app (like no store access or really old device) we will have a private channel they can install/sideload.  At that time, we can make that channel have a different color.

dcook

That would be fine, I am still using the old app now 90% of the time

Once all the bugs are worked out of the new app, I will switch over.

Having the two different colors made it easy to tell the difference when selecting them on the Roku home page.

Well, that's because Roku went ahead and updated the channel information even though the version hasn't upgraded yet.  The main channel is going to upgrade at some point in the not too distant future.  At that point, there will only be one.

For folks who need the old app (like no store access or really old device) we will have a private channel they can install/sideload.  At that time, we can make that channel have a different color.

Edited by dcook

Once all the bugs are worked out of the new app, I will switch over.

And specifically, what bugs would those be?

dcook

@@ebr The biggest issues I have with the new app in order of priority:

1) A few seconds of every episode / movie repeats at the end of the episode (This happened occasionally in the old Roky App, but seems to be worse in this version of the app as its happening all the time and sometimes repeats 2 or 3 times before returning to the menu) 

2) Unable to browse or find media easy like the old app.

For example, to find all shows or jump to level you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen, where in the old app it was right at the top and you could set the scroller to remain on the "Jump To" or "Latest"

3) when browsing by letter, the letters are tiny and you can barely read them on the left side of the screen from a few feet away, also the left side of the screen is actually off the tv screen to the left if that makes sense.  It needs to be moved to the right a little bit.  And the letter should be larger This is only on the "browse by letter" view, all other screens are fine   The old Roku App the letter were much bigger and easier to see on large screens from a distance.

4) this is related to #2, but when logging in need to make it so its quicker for example:  Login -> Movies -> All movies is displayed  or Login -> TV -> Shows is displayed.

As it is right now you have to scroll down past all the clutter to get to the "All Shows" or "Browse by Letter"

5) This is also related to # 2 but when selecting a show, you get clutter again on the show details page, and have to scroll down to the bottom to find the Season 1 folder and then the episode, in the old app the Season folders were right near the top and it was quick and easy to find.  Now there is so much clutter with "Suggested", "Next Up", "Latest", "Coming Soon" etc, etc that it makes it extremely frustrated to easily get where you want to go.

And specifically, what bugs would those be?

Just FYI - I would not classify any of those as bugs as everything is working as it is designed.  To address them though:

1) This is totally unrelated to the app so any differences you are seeing are probably coincidental

2) We plan to add the ability to have libraries default to the grid view as an option but isn't implemented yet.  Also we plan to add a letter jump to the grid view.

3) First I've heard of this feedback but the letters are the exact same size as all other headers.  Not sure what could be done here but we can look at it if others chime in.

4) This appears to actually be a duplicate of 2?  If so, it is addressed above.

5) Seasons are the second row shown (after Next Up).  Next Up is predominantly what people will want in this view which is why it is first.  There is no "Suggested", "Coming Soon" or "Latest" in a single series view.

Please continue to provide feedback as, collectively, this will help us to refine the new design.  Thanks.

dcook

Look at the left side of the screen, you will see the letters on this page are off the edge of the screen and hard to read.

I will try to take a photo of my TV and attach it tonight.

( I know its not my TV as all other screens align properly)

3) First I've heard of this feedback but the letters are the exact same size as all other headers.  Not sure what could be done here but we can look at it if others chime in.

Guest Grace1313

Number 1 happens to me too, but i thought you mentioned somewhere else that it was out of your control, had something to do with video player.

Guest Grace1313

@@ebr, i can verify the by letter page is aligned much more to the left than the other screens. Mine still show on the screen, but it is a different starting point and with some tv's i can see where this would happen.

Look at the left side of the screen, you will see the letters on this page are off the edge of the screen and hard to read.

I will try to take a photo of my TV and attach it tonight.

( I know its not my TV as all other screens align properly)

I can look at this particular screen to see if it has different margins on it and if they need adjusting but, if you have content actually off-screen, then you need to adjust the overscan settings on your display device (or perhaps the Roku itself has these? I've never checked...).

dcook

@@ebr and @@Luke

Please seen these pictures, it seems most screens are too close to the left margin, but on the series by letter screen it is the worst:

Full TV:

58bf39f391c58_IMG_2077.jpg

Close up of Left side:

58bf3a06724e1_IMG_2078.jpg

More Letters:

58bf3a2210de5_IMG_2079.jpg

Edited by dcook

dcook

Other screens are also much closer to the left margin then the right 

for example:

Full Screen:

58bf3b0d92e9a_IMG_2074.jpg

(Notice the left edge of The Blacklist)

Left Side:

58bf3b1e0fb3c_IMG_2075.jpg

Right Side:

58bf3b32046ad_IMG_2076.jpg

Edited by dcook
  • Like 1

Guest Grace1313

I'd check overscan or positioning of your tv screen like ebr stated.

I agree the by letter left margin is further left than the rest, but the fact that all the screens are further left tells me your positioning might be off.

dcook

Its not my tv, orher devices are fine.

And even on the same device netflix or the old emby app are fine.

Its not all screens either, but most of them, some worse than others.

The by letter view is the worst

Edited by dcook

Its not my tv, orher devices are fine.

Have you confirmed the settings on both your TV and the Roku?

When it comes to TV overscan settings, they are often defined by input so different devices can be set differently.

dcook

I don't see any settings that would effect that, the same roku device using netflix on the same tv everything is visible.

The same roku device using the old Emby App everything is visible

Its only the new emby app that some screens are too far to the left border.

It is just that particular screen doesn't have quite enough margin built into it while others do.  

I will look at adjusting the margins but, the bottom line is, your display device is cutting off the left edge of the screen.

dcook

Shouldn't all the screens have the same margins?

I don't see how my TV is deciding on its own to cut off the left margin on certain screens only

It is just that particular screen doesn't have quite enough margin built into it while others do.  

I will look at adjusting the margins but, the bottom line is, your display device is cutting off the left edge of the screen.

Edited by dcook

Guest Grace1313

The margins aren't the same on the different screens. That still doesn't explain why they are pushed off your screen though. I think the reason we were suspecting your tv is because we haven't seen anyone bring this up before, so it's unlikely to be the app. But, if all the other apps are fine,i don't really know what it could be.

dcook

Don't see how it can be my tv when other apps on same device and other devices all show fine. Including the original emby app for Roku

The only time this happens is with the new Emby app for Roku and its not even all the screens, the login screen for example does not go off the left edge.

I don't think all the screens are setup properly in the app, and from what @@speechles shared looks like its supposed to be within the safezone which is 90% of max screen, in this case you can see in my image that the left edge of the green selection box on The Blacklist is not even visible

Can you show us your Series by letter screen?

The margins aren't the same on the different screens. That still doesn't explain why they are pushed off your screen though. I think the reason we were suspecting your tv is because we haven't seen anyone bring this up before, so it's unlikely to be the app. But, if all the other apps are fine,i don't really know what it could be.

Edited by dcook

Guest Grace1313

In the image below, I marked the margins for different screens.  I used my elite skills using masking tape and a marker.

1. Home screen, etc.  It looks to me like most of the screens are here and this is correct.

2. TV Series screen.  A little to the left.

3. By Letter.  Pretty far off.

2 and 3 are the only ones off that I have found.

58c19d6d08a88_20170309_180857593_iOS.jpg