Movie Titles Load Slow or Freeze

PetroUSMC
Go to solution Solved by PetroUSMC,

PetroUSMC

I had this issue on the Roku 3 with my last server and now again with my new one. When I initially open my MB3 on my Roku 3 and go into my movie collection it lags HEAVILY. I go to the next movie and it takes 2 seconds to change the number from 1 to 2. If I go over 3+ movies it locks all together. I can still browser back and fourth but I cannot click anything or go back. Again I have had the same problem with both servers! Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Server Specs:

Asus Maximus VI Formula MOBO

Intel i7 4771 @ 3.9GHz 

16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2133

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB

Corsair AX860i PSU

Samsung EVO SSD 250gb

WD Green Drive (Inteliipower) 1Tb

WD Black Drive 1Tb

WD Black Drive 64MB cache 7200rpms 3Tb (THIS IS MY MEDIA DRIVE)

I'm going to need to see a clean server log to be able to help any. Delete all the logs from your server logs directory and then launch the mb3 channel and do what your doing that causes the problem. Then post the log here.

Also are you wired or wireless and if your wireless have you tested wired to see if there is a difference.

Locoblade

I get the same or very similar with MediaBrowser sideloaded onto a NowTV (Roku LT), once it's hung I can browse the front menu but although selecting a file/folder makes the acknowledgement sound, nothing happens.

I'll try and get a clean log file as well

Locoblade

Here's my system log. It's perhaps not quite the same as Petro's issue, mine seems to be an issue triggered by trying to browse subfolders. For example my Films Collection points to a single folder:

\\Server\Recorded TV\Films

the films are directly inside this top level folder and if I select these first I can watch them without issue

However, for my TV Series folder, I point to the top level \\Server\Recorded TV\TV Series folder for the collection but the series are in their own subfolders, for example

\\Server\Recorded TV\TV Series\Breaking Bad

When I go down to Media Collections and try to select "TV Series", I sometimes get to the first level folder and see the Breaking Bad folder, but I cant then get any deeper to see the actual episodes. Other times I can't get into "TV Series" at all.

Once the above has happened where I cant select a file/folder, from there on I don't seem to be able to play anything, even the same films that worked previously I can highlight but not play. The only way around it is to exit back to the NowTV front end then go back into MediaBrowser.

I've just done a test and set the TV Series to a specific folder with media directly inside, and that works. Surely you shouldn't need to add every single sub-folder separately do you?

cheers

server-63527408685.zip

Edited by Locoblade

What happens when you view the TV view? That is the one at the top with the yellow icon.

Also can you take a screenshot of your tv view in the web client? And a screenshot of the folders in windows explorer (both at the tv level and an individual series).

BTW, you should just have to point a media library like:

TV Shows (media library)

\\diskstation\video\tv

Then within that folder it would be like:

\\diskstation\video\tv\Boardwalk Empire

\\diskstation\video\tv\Game of Thrones

\\diskstation\video\tv\True Blood

First thing that stands out is that there are a ton of error for your images. The fanart.jpg files seems to not have the proper headers. Can you test by removing one and see what it does. I don't know what that file is for (I think it is something for the XBMC compatibility stuff).

Luke if you are seeing this thread do you know what that file would be for?

Locoblade

I've had a further little play and it seems to be related to the "TV Shows" folder media type. I deleted both my TV Series and Kids TV collections that were set up with that folder type and recreated them using the "Movies" folder type and everything works absolutely fine?

Edited by Locoblade

No, that isn't it. That is unless it isn't seeing those TV Shows as TV? That is why I wanted to see what shows up in the TV view. Are they showing up there?

Locoblade

First thing that stands out is that there are a ton of error for your images. The fanart.jpg files seems to not have the proper headers. Can you test by removing one and see what it does. I don't know what that file is for (I think it is something for the XBMC compatibility stuff).

Luke if you are seeing this thread do you know what that file would be for?

I only installed the server yesterday so wasn't sure how quickly things would update but other than the films, a lot of the media doesn't have thumbnails even though I've set it to grab an image from the media if there's nothing available from the official source. Is that related?

I don't think it is seeing those items as TV items at all. That is why you should really check out what is in the TV view. If they aren't showing up under that then the series are not being caught as TV shows.

Yeah that is not a supported TV structure at all. It needs to be something like:

Homeland

Season 1

s01e01.mkv  (just an example on the file name itself, there are a lot of names recognized).

Season 2

s02e01.mkv

Take a look at this tutorial:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/

Locoblade

I've just set the folder back to TV Shows and in the TV view I see the folders but can't access the media inside those folders, same as before. They also all say "0 Seasons" below the name?

Locoblade

Yeah that is not a supported TV structure at all. It needs to be something like:

Homeland

Season 1

s01e01.mkv  (just an example on the file name itself, there are a lot of names recognized).

Season 2

s02e01.mkv

Take a look at this tutorial:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/

Ah I didn't realise it needed to be so specific, how come movie folder type works then, does that just play anything? Is it just the structure that is critical for the TV Shows option, or does it have to recognise the content as a known TV Series in order to see it? I've got a fair amount of kid cartoons etc on there which aren't always in a logical series order etc, how will it handle those?

Edited by Locoblade

Yeah it is probably just seeing them as blank folders with no type. Not even sure it would work that well because it would only probably see the first video instead of all of the videos of the season.

Locoblade

Also why does the above stop films from playing once I've tried to unsuccessfully play something from the TV Show area, it seems to crash the entire client other than being able to scroll around the front page?

Edited by Locoblade

Locoblade

Sorry, if I go into MediaBrowser on the NowTV box, I can happily see the films and start watching them. If I then stop the film and try to select one of the above TV Series folders that doesn't work then go back to the film, the film won't play either, I can see the thumbnail but can't get into the detail area to start playing the film.

Its as if the incorrect TV Series crashes something within the Roku client as the only way to get films working again is to exit MediaBrowser completely then go back in again.

Oh that is because more then likely it has crashed, but when it crashes it doesn't always crash right away. It sometimes still lets you navigate around, but playing things just won't work since it has really crashed already.

That's cool.

Nothing really jumps out in the logs aside from some of the response times. 

Is your roku wired / wireless? 

If wirless how is the signal strength?

Your server should be plenty fast. Have you tried a roku restart to see if it improves?

PetroUSMC

I've restarted it many times. And It is wireless due to the fact I can't run a cable from my router all the way through my house into my TV. I'll move it around and try it wired and see if anything changes

UPDATE: Tried it wired, no difference

Edited by PetroUSMC