Applying updated images/folder names to Emby WMC

Keylonta

Keylonta

I keep having an issue where I replace, for example, the primary image (poster.ext), but then Emby WMC doesn't display the new image.

Just to clarify, when I replace the image, I am doing so in W7 Explorer, not in the Metadata Manager. And the folder structure is Name\Name\Part 1\VIDEO_TS, with the replaced image in the "Part 1" folder.

So I replace the existing poster.ext with a new image but then I don't know the correct way to have the changes applied to Emby WMC. I'm finding I have to always delete the media library and then re-add it for the changes to be applied.

I've tried using the Scan Library button but it doesn't update the image.

I've also tried enabling "real time monitoring". What does that mean, "Changes will be processed immediately, on supported file systems"? What "changes" is it referring to? Backdrops, Primary images, etc.?

There's also a "Refresh" option in the Metadata Manager. What is the difference between Refresh vs. Scan Library?

Basically, when ever I set up a new media library there's just so much fiddling around to get everything right.

For example, I'll change folder names within the folder structure of the media library, e.g. Name\Name\Part 1 to Name\Name\Disc 1, but then the changes I make are not applied to Emby WMC. And I have to delete the .nfo file from the VIDEO_TS, then re-add the media library. Shouldn't enabling "real time monitoring" be doing this for me? It doesn't seem to monitor any changes I make, and I never know how to apply changes without having to re-add the media library again.

[Content type is set to Home Videos. Media Library is set to save artwork and metadata into media folders.]

Keylonta

I've already re-added the library, so I'm not able to check the web app. The correct image shows now in the web app after re-adding the library though.

I use Emby only with WMC. I use Emby for all non-commercial content because of it's ability to have unlimited subfolders, unlike, say, My Moves.

Especially for content such as tutorial videos which have a number of (dvd/video file) courses in sometimes multiple series, all under the one library.

It's a bit of a headache setting them up, I'm still learning to use Emby. What is the correct way to update changes made within the folder structure of a library without having to re-add the library?

Edited by Keylonta

Most changes will be picked up automatically by the realtime monitor and will be reflected in emby apps within a few minutes. if that doesnt' do it, a library scan will.

Keylonta

What changes are picked up? Changes to folder names? Changes to video images?

If I move a video file (within the folder structure of the library) from one folder to another folder, does that change get picked up?

How does Refresh differ from Scan Library?

Edited by Keylonta

Yes those things are typically picked up and will be reflected within a few minutes. Refreshing is a different operation to forcefully fetch new internet metadata to replace what you already have. That's not necessary after moving files around.

Keylonta

Thanks for clarifying that for me Luke.

No, the only plugin I have is Trailers.

I was thinking maybe Emby not picking up changes to the poster.ext might be because I'm replacing the image with another image that has the same name poster.ext. So maybe Emby thinks it's still the same file.

I thought maybe too the folder name change not getting picked up might have something to do with the folder being a few sub folders down from the root folder. Same with the poster.ext.

Name\Name\Name\Part 1\poster.ext

I seem to keep running into these same things, over the few years I've been using Emby, which is why I thought I'd ask on the forum.

As long as the date modified timestamp of the image file changes, that's all you need. Please note that in Emby for WMC, the change may not be reflected instantaneously. Just like any other change, it will have to wait for either the realtime monitor to pick it up, or the next library scan.

• 2 weeks later...
Keylonta

After further testing, what I discovered is:

When changing the poster.jpg image in Windows Explorer, it does not get updated in Emby WMC, even after doing a library scan, however, it does get updated in the web app. However, using the refresh option in the web app did update the image in Emby WMC.

When editing folder names in Windows Explorer, it does not get updated in Emby WMC or the web app. Because the default setting is to prefer filenames over embedded titles, the filename gets added to the metadata, so it's retaining the original folder name even after Emby sees the folder that has had it's name edited. The only way to fix this is by deleting the .nfo file from the deepest subfolder and then re-adding the library.

After deleting the .nfo file, doing a library scan does not replace the .nfo file. Refreshing the library does replace the .nfo file but as mentioned, for some reason, it retains the original folder name of when the library was first created, so the only way is to re-add the library; to update edited folder names.

It would be good if there was an auto re-add library button. That would make things much easier and would guarantee all changes are updated instantly.

What folders exactly are you referring to? Do you mean the ones for the top level folders under the server's program data folder?

Keylonta

I'm referring to any of the subfolders within the top level folder. I'm not sure about the top level folders, I haven't tested them but pretty sure it would be the same.

Keylonta

From now on, whenever I change any images (at the folder level, and not with the app), I'm going to use the refresh option to update the changes. And whenever I edit folder names, I'm going to delete the .nfo file, and re-add the library. This is the only way I can get the changes to update in Emby WMC.

I probably should be using the web app to update changes to images instead of at the folder level.

Edited by Keylonta

I probably should be using the web app to update changes to images instead of at the folder level.

Exactly what I was about to suggest.  I'd like to know if everything works properly if you do this.  Thanks.

For the top level folders, yes you absolutely should be. I can tell you we are not testing manipulating the folders directly considering that all features are accessible in the web interface. thanks !

• Like 1

Keylonta

I'd like to know if everything works properly if you do this.

Yes, updating images using the web app works perfectly with Emby for WMC.

But for changes to folder names; does the web app have an option for editing folder names?

As mentioned, Emby picks up changes to folder names, but the metadata retains the original name of the folder (and doesn't get the new name).

Edited by Keylonta

Probably because there is a metadata file inside the folder, and if all you do is rename the folder then the contents of the metadata file are still the same as before. 

Please just use the web interface to make these changes. We never really intended to support these kinds of changes.

Keylonta

Probably because there is a metadata file inside the folder, and if all you do is rename the folder then the contents of the metadata file are still the same as before.

How do I make changes to folder names within existing libraries?

Keylonta

E:\Level 1\Level 2\Level 3\Part 1

For example, if I wanted to change the name of the folder called "Part 1" to "Disc 1", and the folder was part of an existing Emby library, how would I do that?

E:\Level 1\Level 2\Level 3\Disc 1

Is the only way to do that, by deleting the .nfo file and re-adding the library?

If you are making a change that is below the level where you pointed the library location, then you just make it and let the library scan pick it up.

If the location has an existing .nfo file and you don't want that info to carry over then, yes, you would need to delete it.

Keylonta

Deleting it doesn't stop the old info from carrying over. Deleting it and then Refreshing, creates a new .nfo file that retains the old info.

The library scan picks up the changes but retains the old metadata even when the .nfo file has been deleted and recreated.

Specifically - the library scan picks up the new directory path but the recreated .nfo file retains the old title metadata. So changes to folder names are not updated in the Emby UI.

I have only tested this with Home videos & photos Library type.

So I guess it just means I have to update the title field in the metadata manager to match the new folder name.