Certain M4V videos not playing

yamahito

yamahito

Hi,

While some M4V videos are playing from my emby server perfectly, I have a handful which refuse.  In both the web browser and on the apple TV app, the videos simply won't play - the web browser just sits there endlessly spinning, and the apple TV app eventually quits with a generic 'There has been an error' error.

The files themselves play fine on the mac, and even airplay to the apple TV without a problem.

Any pointers as to why they might not be working, or (mac/unix) software recommendations to help diagnose and/or fix problems with the files themselves?  Looking at lines ~450 in the attached logs (or search for jedi), it seems like a problem with the bitrate - is this an issue with the files, or with emby (or just my configuration)?  Any help much appreciated.

yamahito

Thanks for your response!

Unfortunately the videos in question are all large (>1GB) and my connection isn't the best...

Is there anything I can do to give you information or metadata on the files instead?  Thinking about it, I can use windows tools as well as mac/unix ones, if there's anything you might suggest for diagnostics.

T

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. m4v movies don't play on the TV. They play in the iOS app but the embedded subtitles don't show. Here is a sample file. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/atioheji20d2rkb/Alien%20%281979%29.m4v?dl=0

@@Luke, this has MOV_TEXT subs which I think we've had an issue with before.  I haven't checked with LG (I'll try tomorrow) but they're not playing on Samsung

I have the same problem. m4v movies don't play on the TV. They play in the iOS app but the embedded subtitles don't show. Here is a sample file. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/atioheji20d2rkb/Alien%20%281979%29.m4v?dl=0

@@Luke, I can see this file fails during playback

Media element error: 4  plugin.js?v=1545564957242:855
playbackmanager playback error type: medianotsupported playbackmanager.js?v=1545564957242:3178

It does then transcode, but I only get audio, no video

Transcode log attached

ffmpeg-transcode-12a8e3d5-9494-4502-9b90-f7fe45b2cfe0_1.txt

UPDATE:  Actually, I was able to get it to fail and fallback to transcoding only one time.  Every other attempt it just refuses to play but no error is generated.  I think the the lack of video during playback is due to the video player element being orphaned over the top when the initial playback failed as this just completely hangs the player.  I don't think it is a transcoding issue.

It also does not play directly on the TV so this file should be triggering a transcode, but not sure what this should be based on.

Edited by SamES

So you think the no video issue on the fallback is just a display problem in the app?

I pretty sure it is.  Even when I returned back to the main menu the screen was still blank.  The video element was still visible but had no content.  It was fairly repeatable.

Probably the only thing I'd like to try here is to copy this without the timed-text subs and see whether it plays.