DS216play arrived

mikeraburn

mikeraburn

It finally arrived.

I got the DSM installed, updated, etc but discovered I didn't do something correct.

I DO NOT want a raid and it was installed.

I guess I am confused on this topic and find nothing that helps me on their forms and here using "no raid" as search keywords.

I got rid of that volume now I do not see how to either create a volume without raid OR how to mount the drives.

I am confused.

Can anyone dummy down the explanation for me or point me to a correct thread?

mikeraburn

I think I found my answer using Google.

Not used to the different lingo with non windows OS's.

I think, each drive needs to be it's own volume and am in the process of setting them up.

mikeraburn

Ahhhhhh, man made items and non updated synology manf forms.

20 minutes trying to transfer from external HD to NAS.

Common sense, insert your USB 3 cord from your USB 3 external HD into the USB 3 port on NAS,

Real world, Nope, use the USB 2 port on device.

This IS fun!

mikeraburn

Irony at its greatest.

The whole idea of going this route was due to the USB3 ports on my current system mobo going wonky on me.

FYI,

The EMBY wiki on step up is flawless.

mikeraburn

Lesson learned, maybe I missed this fact in the wiki.

Transferring data from a NTSF external HD via the USB 2 port on he NAS is painfully slow.

I freed up enough space on an existing internal HDD, added more content, remounted it back into my server box and transferred to the NAS via my network.

mikeraburn

Can anyone tell me what type of time frame to expect for a complete initial library scan of 4TBs?

I have had it running for about 5.5 hours and am at 64.%

I didn't do any configuring and just left it as is from initial install.

I have no other plug ins installed.

It is working but going slow slow slow.

PenkethBoy

Hi

First run is always slow - size of data store is less important than the number of movies, tv series, music albums etc as Emby has to go and get the info off the web and also has to back off so it does not overload things at the providers end - so has built in wait periods.

Also it depends what options you have set - sounds like you did not changed from the defaults so for example Image chapter extraction is probably not on as that can have a large effect

Also your NAs is not a powerful machine and that will slow things to a degree - emby is not that cpu hungry - mono and ffmpeg are though

You will notice that the % does jump in chunks so it can stay the same for a period then jump to a new figure.

Best thing is leave it till tomorrow then subsequent scans will be much quicker and you can then configure each library for various extra functions etc 

Have fun

• Like 1

mikeraburn

I'm a dope.

I was thinking about my older server.

On the NAS I was scraping EVERYTHING.

Almost 3 hours from my initial question it is now @ 98%.

Hi

First run is always slow - size of data store is less important than the number of movies, tv series, music albums etc as Emby has to go and get the info off the web and also has to back off so it does not overload things at the providers end - so has built in wait periods.

Also it depends what options you have set - sounds like you did not changed from the defaults so for example Image chapter extraction is probably not on as that can have a large effect

Also your NAs is not a powerful machine and that will slow things to a degree - emby is not that cpu hungry - mono and ffmpeg are though

You will notice that the % does jump in chunks so it can stay the same for a period then jump to a new figure.

Best thing is leave it till tomorrow then subsequent scans will be much quicker and you can then configure each library for various extra functions etc 

Have fun

Edited by mikeraburn

mikeraburn

The Emby Server Software stopped overnight for some reason.

What log is the best to tell why?

I see it shut off at 16:something UTC, I will not touch anything and check it again tomorrow.

mikeraburn

No problem with Emby product.

Operator error.

All seems well with the Synology item and no buyers remorse as of yet.

Even with the lesser specs than my 6 year old "ex gaming machine / server" it works comparable for it's intended use.

The change in technology and hardware in the six years is why I was hesitant in building a new one.

Way cheaper and easier to go the Synology NAS route, with EMBY and Roku, in my opinion.