Is is possible to cast streaming media on emby server to nowtv (emby client)

naveedquadri
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

naveedquadri

which web app ??? i stream live media on chrome... when i try and click on cast on the (chromecast extension) it says no cast destinations found... 

so i think you are talking about some other app... can you help ?

You said you wanted to cast streaming media "on Emby Server" to your Roku so I assumed you were using our web app.

Do you have an Emby server installed?

naveedquadri

let me explain the setup....

i have windows 7 desktop (emby server) (the server has shared folders) ----- Now TV (emby sideloaded) ...... i am able to watch anything that is stored on my hard disk on my desktop using the shared folder.

however now what i want to do... on the desktop i can watch movies online ... like from einthusan.tv.... is there anyway for me to cast this on to my NOWTV...

any help will be apptiated

Oh, okay, that is outside of Emby.  I don't think the Roku has any sort of standard casting API like Google and Amazon do...

naveedquadri

is there no way that there is a browser support from within emby ... 

there is an option to view video bookmarks... how do i actally add the bookmark??

You have to enable screen mirroring on the roku settings.

Settings >> System >> Screen Mirroring

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

A Chromecast is about $35 ;).

However, some streaming services deny the ability to cast to the big screen.

Happy2Play

Sorry but everything you are asking appears to be outside the scope of Emby Server and the Roku/NowTV app.

Its a now tv box... emby is sideloaded.... how do i enable screen mirorring ...

But.. if you are using emby server.. Why arent you using the emby app on the roku, and using the "casting" function of the emby server web app?

Is this just pirate streams or something? Or legitimate streams?

naveedquadri

But.. if you are using emby server.. Why arent you using the emby app on the roku, and using the "casting" function of the emby server web app?

Is this just pirate streams or something? Or legitimate streams?

its a legit stream ... this is what i am not able to understand ... "emby server web app " ... what is this ???

attached is what i see when i open the " browse library" ... 

i would appretiate if you can tell me what you mean by "emby server web app "

post-186808-0-37994700-1488321978_thumb.jpg

iDOpiOP.png

1) Start your sideloaded emby app on the nowTV and log in

2) Click the button on your PC shown above by the red arrow

3) Choose your nowTV device as the player

4) Choose something and press the play button on the PC

This is how you use "casting" on emby

Edited by speechles

naveedquadri

agreed ... but that i can cast anything that  is already stored on my server ... or pc ... however i am trying to find a solution for website movie streaming

• Solution

For website movie streaming you can thank SkyTV for being mean. They have purposely crippled their system by removing screen mirroring in their firmware. This means your nowTV unfortunately cannot use google chromcast functions like a real roku with screen mirroring can. This is the same reason SkyTV curates their own appstore separate from roku. It is about them having complete control over what you can do with their boxes. Because sideloading is how apps are developed on the platform, they couldnt remove developer mode, this is baked into the app store. There may be an app on the Sky store that might allow casting, but doubtful as sky has an iron thumb.

• Like 1

Like I said above - some services deny the ability to cast to the big screen :).

They aren't being mean.  They are a business providing a product/service and need to make money in order to continue providing that product/service.  This means they may need to limit how you watch their content in order for them to sell you something else.