Drive pooling

Guest asrequested

Happy2Play

is the difference down to the speed of the cpu's - intel vs AMD (old!) :)

I would guess the amount of data, 18TB vs 36TB.

Both seem to perform about the same for old technology.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-X3450-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X4-955

Edited by Happy2Play

PenkethBoy

i made a mistake and added lots of photo's to my "extrafanart" directories and that kills the scan speed went from a few minutes to over an hour  :o

also where the data is on a disc can have a large effect - fast on the outside edge and slow in the centre

DP is not raid so the speed you get is mainly down to the native speed of the disc

Happy2Play

So in theory I should get better speeds if I had matching drive speeds.  I have a mix of Seagate, Western Digital, and Hitachi drives (5400, 5900, and 7200rpm).

Guest asrequested

Seek times will definitely vary between those drives. All my pools have matching drives, especially my movie pool. For that pool they're all HGST 7200 rpm

PenkethBoy

in Scanner from stable bit - if you have it installed - you can do a burst test on a drive to see how fast it is

or a better option would be HDTune which does a read test across all sectors and gives you a max and min - does take a few hours to run - although you can run multiple copies at the same time to test multiple drives

IIRC when i did this on my HGST 4tb drives it was 170 MB/s to 130 MB/s from outside to inside

Also size matters - bigger disk usually more buffer - so generally faster - have a Seagate Archive drive 8TB and that will do over 200MB/s

Faster drives also have better seek time so 7200 better than 5400 etc

And controllers will have an effect......

Happy - one thing to be careful of in the future as and when you move away from WHS to say win 10 - Rocket Raid controllers do not work well with Windows - had three 2720 and all they did was lock the system up with DP - driver/bios issues - this is with two different motherboards etc - very reproducible when put under load 

Happy2Play

Don't really know know how useful the burst test really is.

SSD   461MB         off motherboard
5900  250MB 	    RR2720
7200  450-471MB	    RR2720  Depending on Manufacture

Drives on the RR2760 were 25-50MB slower.

Transfers from outside saturate my gigabit connection at 113MB and Pool to SSD about 137MB and SSD to Pool about 120MB.

@@PenkethBoy - Thanks for the warning for when I do upgrade.