Drive pooling

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

I figured I'd start a new thread for those who use and are thinking of using drive pooling :)

I'm using Stablebit with two pools, and SSD optimizer on the larger drive pool. I'm thinking of adding a drive pool on another machine, for backing up.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 2

mediacowboy

I use Drive Bender which is very similar to Stablebit.

I currently have one server setup using it for primary media access. It includes four 4tb Seagate desktop hard drives and two 8tb Seagate archive drives.

Once I get my new server built I will create a pool on it using Seagate 8tb Ironwolf drives. Then replace all the 4tb drives in with 8tb archive drives to have a backup and if need arises put emby back on it.

CBers

Not thinking, already do :)

Been using DriveBender since the very early days (2011).

I have also installed DriveBender on family and friend's servers.

I'll be using it on my new server as well :)

Swynol

I use stablebit. One big pool. 9 x 3Tb sas drives. 1x 3Tb Sata, 2x 2tb sata, 1x 1tb sata and a few ransoms for backups. Might look at a ssd for optimiser. Does it matter what size it is? I have a few smaller 32 and 64gb ssds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

I use stablebit. One big pool. 9 x 3Tb sas drives. 1x 3Tb Sata, 2x 2tb sata, 1x 1tb sata and a few ransoms for backups. Might look at a ssd for optimiser. Does it matter what size it is? I have a few smaller 32 and 64gb ssds.

They just need to be big enough to handle what you throw at them. The whole files are written there, first. Then moved to the pool.

• Like 1

So it's not primarily designed for pooling?

It is primarily designed as software RAID but has very flexible pooling as well.

Guest asrequested

It is primarily designed as software RAID but has very flexible pooling as well.

Interesting. Does it let you put a pool in RAID? I would imagine that's a lot of processing.

PenkethBoy

if they fill up the copying to the pool falls back to the archive drives (mostly - occasional hiccups)

Two Drivepool Drives on my main server across 33 drives(22 and 11) and a test pool on my main pc of just two drives

Also use their scanner software for drive health checking - although its a bit sluggish with lots of drives it still works

@@Swynol if you have the sata ports free use them all as DP will use all the ssd for cache (if you tell it they are ssd's) and use them in alternating pairs if you do a large data copy

mediacowboy

@@CBers, I noticed last night, I forget what version I am on, that I have several TB's of non pooled space in Drive bender. Is this because DB did not format the drives?

I have tried searching the forums on DB and I will gladdly copy it over to that forum but I wanted to check on here as I believe there may be more people running DB then what is showing.

Happy2Play

@@CBers, I noticed last night, I forget what version I am on, that I have several TB's of non pooled space in Drive bender. Is this because DB did not format the drives?

I have tried searching the forums on DB and I will gladdly copy it over to that forum but I wanted to check on here as I believe there may be more people running DB then what is showing.

Is this free space or used space?

CBers

Do you mean additional drives, or space on drives?

mediacowboy

Sorry for the not so great picture. I'm at work and remoted into the server off my phone.

90e3aa7c6c20f475dec42dd9af086f69.jpg

See how it shows 1.14 TB non pool used. I would expect that to be zero as I have given DB 100% of my drives for pooling purposes.

CBers

Sorry for the not so great picture. I'm at work and remoted into the server off my phone.

See how it shows 1.14 TB non pool used. I would expect that to be zero as I have given DB 100% of my drives for pooling purposes.

Strange. What version you running, v2.4??

If so, upgrade to v2.5 and see if that makes a difference, but if not, I'd raise a support call.

mediacowboy

Strange. What version you running, v2.4??

If so, upgrade to v2.5 and see if that makes a difference, but if not, I'd raise a support call.

Maybe that is my issue I am still on 2.3.8.0.

Aaaah I did not see this topic, thx @

I have something weird, my drivepool just wont start, could it be that one of my drives is faulty?

It's not the final build for that pool, I was only building the server and randomly copying files over to see performance. But now I can't boot the pool up, it just freezes entirely, even StableBit says there are some errors, but nothing critical. Most likely a chkdsk would fix those errors up.

It would be pretty strange that if  a disk fails, the entire pool won't boot...

PenkethBoy

usually a faulty drive or missing one does not stop DP from starting - i lost (loose sata cable) a ssd the other day and DP reported it missing - which sets the pool to Read only

drivers might be an issue - when i was trying to use Highpoint Rocket Raid cards - i had a good month of weird errors and lockups - which occurred at the same time i started using dp

What controller are you using?

PenkethBoy

Just a wild speculation but could it be things like System Volume Information or Recycle bin or similar?

Just a guess as have never tried DB :)

Happy2Play

Since DB and DP are similar, do you have content physically on your drives that is not within the pool?  In DrivePool it is called "Other" all content outside the pool.

I know its isn't supported in DrivePool but not sure about Drive Bender, do you have "Shadow Copies" enable on each drive, this would fill up space outside the pool on each drive (hidden System info)?

Edited by Happy2Play

mediacowboy

So after doing the update remotely. [emoji16]

I uninstalled DB and rebooted. Reinstalled DB and rebooted. System came back up and no drive with all my storage. Followed the registry fix on the knowledge base articles and rebooted. Drive appeared but showed the same 1.14 TB issue. Lose power at work and had to leave and get everything back up and running. Came back and only had about 5 GB showing the used non pool storage. Yay.

@@CBers, I am now running 2.5.0 on my current system with no issues yet. Will watch media tonight.

• Like 1