Live TV Buffering Issue

madmaxetc
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

madmaxetc

I had been using WMC with emby Classic for years and loved it. As we all know, Microsuck had other plans.

The last windows 10 update did it in for good. So here I am.

I think that emby will be a good replacement and will support a lot of what I want to do. As well as other features.

So there is my setup:

emby Server 3.2.4.0 on Windows 10 machine.

HDHomerun tuner

The problem:

I am able to get Live TV playing through Chrome running emby mobile 3.2.3.0 and/or Edge running emby mobile 3.2.4.0. (Same issues on both)

The issue is with buffering.

SD (480) runs fine.

HD (720) runs fine for longer periods (2-3min) but will pause and buffer for a few seconds, then resume playback.

Full HD (1080 @ 60mps) buffers every 20s or so. 

I do not belive this to ba a hardware issue. I can run the HDHomerun windows App and get 1080 60fps with zero buffering.

(On a side note, I do NOT like the HDHomerun "Slice" guide... that is not the way my brain works.)

I would like to understand this issue before I pay the $100 for a lifetime membership. I love to support a good product, just want to know it works first.

I attached the logs for the last time I ran it in Chrome running emby mobile 3.2.3.0 

ffmpeg-transcode-1c08a872-670f-40e3-8176-77269be3ecb3.txt

server-63623664000.txt

• Solution

@@madmaxetc, web browsers do not support mpeg2video, which is the format of your live tv feed. The server has to convert this on the fly and it looks like your server machine might be having a hard time with it.

You can't really compare this to the HDHomerun viewer app, because an installed application can support mpeg2 without the need for conversion. What I would suggest doing is using Emby apps that don't require video conversion, such as Emby Theater for Windows, Android, and others.

If you really want to watch using the web browser, then you may need a faster machine, or you could look at getting the HDHomerun Extend which handles the mpeg2 to h264 conversion directly on the tuner device.

Let me know if this helps answer your question. Thanks !

• Like 1

madmaxetc

@@Luke Than you for your reply. I was wondering about the browser being the issue.

I am going to go and pony up the $$ for the membership so I can use the apps. It is what I wanted to do anyway.

Since the HDHomerun app works just fine I think I can reasonably assume the emby app will as well.

Thanks again for your reply! #TicketClosed